Dartmouth deadline extension

<p>My S received a letter saying that Dartmouth had extended their deadline. I assumed that this was for everyone but the Dartmouth board and other blogs indicate that this was only for URM students. I hope this isn't true. I really hope so...If it is ok, I think, to be disappointed in the diversity of the applicants as of Jan 1 and extend the deadline for ALL students and send out encouraging letters to ALL students who they had been recruiting, but if the deadline and/or the mailing was just for minorities, I think this is unethical and painful for a non_URM who missed the original deadline. Anyone else get the letter? Anyone know a non URM who got the letter? Can't find any on the Dartmouth board.</p>

<p>My D got the letter. URM. Not applying. She did not take the required subject tests.</p>

<p>My D got the letter too. Hispanic. Had prior contact with Dartmouth. </p>

<p>I saw a few other URMs that had been contacted (African American) and one or two that were non-URM that were trying to figure out why they were contacted. I think they had circumstances that they thought might make them sought after candidates by Dartmouth. Maybe international/geographic diversity? I don’t recall the details.</p>

<p>Anyway, I think that each college has the right to handle admissions in the way that they choose and as consumers, we have the right to respond to that in the way that we choose. I guess the bottom line is that it really is a business. That’s why I tell my kids not to get emotionally attached until the acceptances/financial aid offers are in and then it is their turn!</p>

<p>I got a letter. I’m half chinese and half white so I don’t know if I technically am considered a URM, but Dartmouth has been recruiting me since the beginning of last year. I just sent in my application.</p>

<p>It is sad if the deadline wasn’t extended to everyone, but I figure that this replicates the admissions process anyhow.</p>