daVinci Scholar

<p>DS was selected to be a daVinci scholar. It is apparently a pilot program that integrates science and humanities and general ed requirements are waved like Foote Fellows. It sounds amazing but ive never heard of it before. Anyone else get this offer or have any additional insights?</p>

<p>I heard this new program mentioned briefly during this year’s S/S parent session (that I snuck into since I have a current freshman!) It was described exactly as you wrote though no mention was made at that point of the College of A&S gen ed waiver which I can see is definitely part of the program (see link below). </p>

<p>During that meeting it was stated that the program would start with a small cohort of students and “fan out from there.”</p>

<p>Lots more info here :
[The</a> da Vinci Program | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/davinci]The”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/davinci)</p>

<p>My D was invited into the program as well. I need to call to get more information on the program. I do not know if my D can realistically do the program and be a BFA Musical theatre student. The two programs might have too many conflicts. Anyone have an idea?</p>

<p>My son is exploring this too and I spoke to one of the faculty involved today. Sounds very interesting if your child can make it work in their degree ambitions and if they get excited about the connections such a Scholars Program can make. I liked what I heard. My son is a Foote Fellow too and it is compatible (even easier) with them. A big benefit is that you are exempt from all CAS gen ed requirements. I found a detailed write-up if you are interested. PM me if you want to discuss further.
<a href=“https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/facultysenate/11-12GWC/April/daVinciScholars.pdf[/url]”>https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/facultysenate/11-12GWC/April/daVinciScholars.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@Biocellar In the letter you link and on a test page on Miami’s website it is mentioned that study abroad is funded. On a revised page the funding wording seems to be omitted. In your discussion with the faculty rep was this topic brought up? Also the benefit of the gen ed exemption seems redundant for Foote Fellows.</p>

<p>RTR,
I did not discuss travel abroad and whether it was subsidized at all. My son will speak to her again next week and I’ll make sure he asks.
As for gen ed, FF exempts students from the University gen ed requirements but not the gen ed requirements of the school/department (Art & Sciences, or Business or Architecture etc.). The advisor I spoke said This da Vinci program would exempt a student from the College of Arts and Sciences gen ed. rqmts. too. I agree though it is not really clear what the explicit benefit is on top of Foote when it comes to curriculum flexibility. Have you read the Course Bulletin yet? 1830 pages of fascinating reading… :slight_smile: <a href=“https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/admission/Bulletin201213.pdf[/url]”>https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/admission/Bulletin201213.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
some of it will change for 2013-14 with the new cognate system but all the details from last year are buried in these 2000 pages.</p>

<p>My son was invited, but he is somewhat reluctant , because the description of the program seems very vague without much detail about these DaVinci courses which will be required. Since this will be the first year, there is obviously no track record.Does anybody else share these hesitations?</p>

<p>The College of Arts and Sciences gen eds are the same as the University’s gen eds. Foote Fellow exempts you from everything, so you’re only taking courses for your major(s).</p>

<p>Thanks. That’s a helpful piece of information.</p>

<p>If the Foote exempts a student from University and College of Arts and Sciences requirements, what is the advantage of the DaVinci?</p>

<p>It seems to me kind of like a different form of the PRISM program, whereas, instead of integrating math and science, it integrates science and humanities. Also, for those students who missed out on being Footes, it’s yet another way for them to get out of the gen-eds. So basically, it’s like being given Foote standing without actually being a Foote. Of course, this thread is the only thing I’ve heard about the program, so I could be completely wrong, but that’s what it sounds like to me. I’d ask the head of the program for more clarification.</p>

<p>I’ve done some more research on this program and wrote to the director, who is very responsive. It sounds like a great opportunity. Aside from the no general ed advantage, there are counselors to help with grad school advising, foreign travel funding ( although sounds like this could have been taken out of the program according to another poster) and a good group of students to bond with over four years. The seminars look interesting, and as the first class, students may be able to influence the future of the program. My only question is whether it’s worth it to be in the honors program as well as this one since there are more course requirements.</p>

<p>@Avocado.Is your son a Foote Fellow? I’m trying to figure out what the advantage would be for a kid who is already a Foote Fellow.</p>

<p>My son is not a Foote Fellow. But he is in an accelerated dual degree program and daVinci will allow him to double major and still get his MS in 5 years. There is probably not a great advantage to being a Foote and daVinci, unless your son is interested in the seminars or if they actually do fund foreign travel.</p>

<p>It sounds like Kefryn Reese and the fine folks at the Center for Prestigious Awards are really gunning for a UM Rhodes scholar by 2020 with this one…That would be interesting as a recruitment tool if they would fund a summer abroad. I’ll talk to some admin officials about it.</p>

<p>Hi everyone</p>

<p>My S just sent in his deposit last pm so he is now a “cane”. My S is a FF and he also signed up for DaVinci. I appreciate all the work you have put into investigating the DaVinci program. I had briefly spoken to someone in admissions earlier last week and I asked her if these programs were to be taken singularly or can they work together and she assured me they would work together. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Congrats!
What is you son’s major?
When I enquired about da Vinci it was clear that they were compatible but what none of us have been able to ascertain is what is the benefit above FF. Do you have any more insight on that?</p>

<p>My son put History on his application but he is interested in classical literature and lang. and economics. He is playing with the idea of also taking science classes so he can take the MCAT. He is pretty well rounded and doesnt have one subject that is his specialty. If you ask him he would say Math is his worst subject. What other majors are reprsented here? Just curious. I know I saw a music/fine arts major. I think DaVinci is striving to get students from all majors to think and exchange ideas. Definitely a Fine arts major would approach problem solving differently than a Math major. Sounds like fun.</p>

<p>My son is interested in Marine Science. He is a FF. He does not seem interested in DaVinci as he feels it may force him to take some courses he doesn’t have to take and may not interest him.</p>

<p>My son is FF with ambitions to double major in marine science and chemistry…
but he loves music, social sciences too and could tack on a minor along the liberal sciences track (its surprisingly easy depending on the area to add a minor) hence his curiosity about da Vinci. Breakthroughs in the future will come more and more from the interfaces between disciplines so I am a big fan of encouraging the next generation to explore those interfaces!</p>