Decision Thread- CO 2027 American University

Decisions for RD come out tomorrow. Post your decision, stats, and more on this thread!

1 Like

Decisions are in!! My daughter got in!

got in international studies program in the school of service

1 Like

Please add stats for reference to future appliants.

Son accepted. Communications/Journalism. Presidential scholarship $20k per year. Invited to AU Cornerstone Program (Wash DC or London). 3.86 UW, 4.56 W, excellent ec’s, LORs and essay. :tada:

1 Like

Admitted to Public Health Scholars + conditional master’s program and my full-need was met with 96% of bit being scholarships and grants. Hooks: first generation, non-traditional, urm (Puerto Rican and Cape Verdean).

3.3UW, 3.8W (perfect honors gpa freshman year, excruciating circumstances for sophomore year which lowered my cumulative gpa), all APs junior year, test-optional, strong ECS including president of DECA club, education startup, part-time jobs in HS, other club involvements + gap year (full year internship with school district with last 3 months being offered a full-time position), graduated high school a year early, strong essays, incredible LORs, and a passionate heart.

1 Like

Daughter got in with 20K merit. Political Science Major.
She has a 1470 SAT and 97.5/100 GPA weighted. Lots of ECs. 6 APs (school only offers 7)
Editing to add that we visited in person and went to several of their online admissions events, since demonstrated interest seems to matter.

1 Like

I am an international applicant so scholarships are very minimal, I just got in with an 8000$ Dean’s scholarship! Did any other international applicants get in??

International applicant
IB diploma predicted grade: 36
Merit scholarship of 8000$
I didn’t submit SAT and my school does not calculate GPA and class rankings

Waitlisted. 1450 SAT, 4.5 W GPA, 8 APs, 4 honor societies, library volunteer, varsity sport, president of a club, teen column for local newspaper, great writer, part-time job, father is a Methodist pastor (Am has an association) BUT we never visited - couldn’t afford to go everywhere she applied. Oh well, making the decision easier. For future applicants, if you want to go here, maybe show them a lot of love.

waitlisted :frowning:
From Nothern Virginia
I know they don’t admit by major but I planned on studying at Kogod
3.9 weighted (not including senior grades) it would’ve been 4.2 with 1st sem grades but idk what they calculate
Test-optional
9 IB classes 2 DE 7 Honors
hooks: first-gen Latina
NOT an IB candidate
ECs: Hispanic Honors Society/International Thespian Society officer, certified personal trainer, started a recycling business, quizbowl, freshman mentor for 2 years, costume director for theater productions, and a lot more
I visited campus for a multicultural event last fall

I’m genuinely so sad. Not sure if I’ll take a spot on the waitlist since I would be writing another “Why AU” and I already wrote that for the supplemental :upside_down_face: I saw the waitlist glitch in my portal a few days ago so not totally surprised…
I will have to wait for more decisions tomorrow but this is so discouraging. My grades were definitely not the best compared to other applicants but I explained some of it in my app. I thought my personal statement and ecs were good enough and I got really excited after visiting but it’s very expensive. Kept editing this because I left things out lol.

Same here, Waitlisted. 3.98U, 4.98W, 1420 SAT, 6 APs, 4 DualCredits, honor societies, club president, part-time job, great essays. But we also did not visit. (She did go to a visit at her school and opened/clicked through every email). Sad.

Daughter got in Kogod school of business. Dean’s scholarship $15,000.
3.8 gpa
32 act
Lots of APs and extras

Daughter accepted. Musical Theatre. AU Honors
20K Presidential, 24.5K Grant

1530 SAT, 97.4 unweighted, AP Calc AB and BC - both 5 (only 4 APS are offered), NMSC commended. School doesn’t rank, but she will be valedictorian.
Magnet performing arts school (academic entrance exam + audition).
All classes considered at Honors level.
Dual Enrollment for senior year (full college freshman load, Fall Semester: all As)
ECs are mostly performance-based (with leadership positions), honor societies.
Visited campus, registered for and attended virtual seminars, emailed admissions questions.

(Did not have waitlist link in portal when that glitch came up. But, was able to see “request deferral” in the split second after clicking “View” on application line item before it went to checklist. Only started seeing it yesterday.)

Good luck to everyone!

Waitlisted. 3.99U, 4.82W ACT 33, AP classes, senior class officer. We had also not visited. Not sure if it matters.

AU highly factors in demonstrated interest. It’s as important as grades to them.

1 Like

Thanks, what I suspected but I wouldn’t/couldn’t have changed circumstances. It’s unfortunate bc some families can’t afford to visit every school.

2 Likes

Accepted with 15k Frederick Douglas Scholarship and 23k in grant money.
Accepted to School of Public Affairs for Political Science
99.09/100 weighted GPA, 6 APs, 1 dual credit course, and 1310 SAT
Strong ECs (Interned for my state’s Senate Majority Leader and served as a US Senate Page)
I wrote a pretty strong essay for the “Why AU?” essay

Demonstrated interest for AU also counts opening emails, attending regional sessions, attending webinars, etc. Visiting the school is only one method. Most students don’t tour the school until accepting.

Ok, then I’m at a loss.

1 Like