Decisions?

<p>If I apply by the last week in September, based on when people have heard back in the past, when am I likely to hear a result?</p>

<p>Also, I have a vibe that I'm not a clear admit but not a clear rejection. Does applying super early reduce my chances of getting in since they know someone better is likely to come along, resulting in my postponement? Or am I more likely to be accepted since they might not have received as many outstanding applications? </p>

<p>And I feel that I have amazing extra-curriculars, great class rank and GPA, and my part time job explains why my classes aren't the most rigorous. However my test scores are not the best and I feel like my essay is going to be the determining factor. Does Wisconsin focus more on statistics like if they're not in the top " " percent they're not even considered? or do they take the essay into account and take a more holistic approach?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I can’t answer your question, but I was told by my D’s guidance counselor that last year every person at her school who applied to Wisconsin and had less than a 4.0 weighted GPA was postponed, including students with very high test scores. D is at an OOS competitive public HS that puts lots of kids into top schools and only weights .5 for AP and honors courses that are significantly more difficult than regular college prep courses, so it’s not as if a weighted GPA below 4.0 is bad. Based on this, my D expects to be postponed no matter how early she applies. BTW, the GC said this was new last year - students who would easily have been accepted in prior years were postponed last year. I never found out how many of those postponed kids were eventually accepted, though.</p>

<p>This is so stressful. I honestly would rather hear bad news sooner than have to wait till March to hear a result if postponed. Because if postponed, then I have to put my deposits down and settle on another school and still be unsure long after I do that. It amazes me how competitive UW has gotten. I have friends who applied just two years ago with nearly the same stats as me and got right in.</p>

<p>Unless your EC’s include the Nobel Prize or some National 1st place award they are not likely any more amazing than those of your peers from many HS’s across the state. Remember, quantity is not the same as quality and so many good students get involved in HS activities and make it to the state level in them.</p>

<p>UW does a more holistic approach- your essays can make or break your chances. Remember to not just repeat information they can easily find elsewhere in your application and to let them know you want to go to UW.</p>

<p>My son was postponed in December and offered to go on a waitlist at the end of April. He was accepted from the waitlist in early June. Madison was his number one choice for years and he made many visits there to see friends and the school. He made the BIG mistake of assuming he would get in given his stats. Another mistake was that in his application process he never mentioned his strong interest in Madison in particular. When he was postponed he immediately contacted his admission counselor to let her know Madison is his number one choice and he asked her what he could do to improve his chances to get accepted. He continued to keep his grades high and on his own accord got two more references from teacher etc. My advice to you is to apply and visit colleges and universities you get accepted to so you have a good second and third choice school. Keep up good grades and be sure to let them know your level of interest. My son learned alot from the process and this will help him when it comes time to apply to medical school. Although it was long, drawn out and expensive he hung in there and is so THRILLED to be a Badger. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>OP, I’m not sure if past experiences will predict what may happen with this year’s admissions. They just brought in a new head of admissions last year–and I’d guess procedures/time lines, etc–may have changed.</p>

<p>Last fall, my daughter applied in early October and was accepted in mid December. She loves going to school in Madison.</p>

<p>I hope you will get an early acceptance, because that sure takes a lot of stress out of one’s senior year. My advice, turn in the best application you can, and then try to “let it go”. If not Madison, you’ll find a great college.</p>