Denied Academic Expectations

I had applied to Purdue for fall 2016 and got my admission decision as denied Academic Qualification.
I secured 1940 in SAT which is the 75th percentile at Purdue
I scored 111 on TOEFL
Class 10th my CGPA was 9.4/10 which roughly on conversion to 4 point scale is 3.7
My predicted scores GPA was 3.4
Now I messed up class 11th result as I was planning some different exam in life and there for admission we didn’t require class 11th grade so we prepared for our test which had different syllabus approach and henced we just had to clear class 11th then, that is score around 40% but I still managed 60%.

Additionally I am a very good MUNer and have even been executives board for international conference.
I work with a social group and I love doing it.
I volunteer in as many activities as possible.
I frequently do quizzes and other activities.
I am even web developer and have developed a website and second one is in progress.
I even had 3 recommendation letters which spoke profoundly about me.

Purdue is my dream school so do I have a chance going there anyhow ?
All the help and advice will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

And also please tell me where did I go wrong.

It could possibly be because of your 11th grade result which is very important when it comes to college applications. Perhaps the major you applied for was highly competitive or there may not have been spots left. If it was a competitive major, I think you were denied because of your 11th grade result. Maybe you could send it for reconsideration?

@aryat123
Do I explain them my reason ?
I thought to first talk to a counselor about this before applying for reconsideration :confused:

Do you need financial aid? It sounds like you are international, and I don’t think Purdue is need blind for internationals. If that is the case, the academic bar is going to be much higher than for the average accepted student.

“Now I messed up class 11th result as I was planning some different exam in life and there for admission we didn’t require class 11th grade so we prepared …”

It could be that your command of English is below that expected for college students in the United States. I could not understand much of what you wrote. It is indecipherable.

@intparent
I dont need financial aid neither have I applied for it

@lostaccount

I see your point there,
actually I was pretty devastated when I made this post so I didnt take time to re-read what I had written.
but for my college essay,
I had spent enough time on it and made sure everything was clear and with high standards.
Moreover, there is a test for english Proficiency called TOEFL and 111 is a pretty high score.

Your English skills in these posts are not showing strong skills. Your essays could have revealed that.

@Nisargp005: I would suggest trying to appeal this decision. I believe there is a form to do so on Purdue’s website.

I’m also an international student. My toefl score isn’t as high as yours ( I got 106. I only took it once and didn’t spend time practicing it). My SAT score is better, however, I believe your scores are enough to meet Purdue’s academic standards. I applied for computer science major, which is probably not as competitive as other engineering majors, so that could be a reason for me to get in.
There isn’t anything much that people in here could help you. If I were you, I would try to contact them through phone or email asking about my situation, and obviously ask for a reconsideration.

Anyways, Good luck! There are many schools out there. You shouldn’t be turned down by one school.

I don’t know how reconsideration works, but if you could probably convince them that you indeed have potential to score better in your finals, they will consider you. However, I’m not sure how exactly you can convince them.

Thank you @DavidVu and @aryat123

I have sent them a mail and as per the guidance by the counselor, I will apply for reconsideration.

What major did you apply for?

I got waitlisted for Mechanical Engineering

SAT: 1760
Toefl: 109
10th CGPA: 10 -> 4,0 GPA
11th 60% ( school conducted examination )
Lot of social work.
Self taught graphic designer.
Excellent recomendations.
Essays: 9/10 IMO

@dankshrek
I applied for Computer Science

I even have a certificate from University of New South Wales as I passed their Computer Science test with Distinction.
I won a bronze medal in International Math Olympiad as well as Science Olympiad
I won Regional Science as well as IT Quiz
I practice Karate and am also a national Player with my name and photo in the Year book of national Championship.

I hope you get selected.
All the best

Thank you.

With what you have to offer, it is absurd that you got denied. What other universities did you apply for?
I am sure you will get into a good uni!

Btw where are you from?

I am from India as well.

Additionally,
I got denied from UIUC which was shocking as well because they didn’t require class 11th or 12th score.
Additionally, I have applied for Ohio State University along with BU and USC.

@Nisargp005: Speaking of UIUC, UIUC CS is extremely competitive this recent years. I’ve seen guys with almost perfect act scores ( 35,36) and got straight out denied. The acceptance rate to CS at UIUC this year is around 10%. Those people who are admitted are usually scoring very high on standardized tests and having various experiences on CS field. Like I said before, there are many schools out there. Lighten up! You will eventually get into somewhere nice. Hope it would turn out nice for you at Purdue.
May I ask what country are you from?

With your exceptional EC’s, I’m surprised you weren’t accepted. Good luck with the reconsideration, perhaps you applied late and the seats may have been full. Another reason could be your essay. Whatever it is, good luck!

@DavidVu
I am from India

@Nisargp005: Are you waiting on decisions from other schools? Did you apply to Twin cities and UWisconsin Madison? Those two school are also very good. I’ve seen many Indian applicants applying as international students, which may make it more competitive for students in India to get admitted, but I believe that’s not the case. Anyways, contact them as soon as possible. You can request for a major change within the same college. I don’t think it’s hard to transfer to Comp Science later on.