Do I have a good chance of getting into Texas A&M for Industrial engineering.

<p>Howdy,</p>

<p>I'm a resident of Georgia, and interested in studying industrial engineering at TAMU.</p>

<p>I know that the Industrial engineering program is generally less popular and not as competetive as other engineering programs. I know I qualify for academic admission. Here are my stats:</p>

<p>Ethnicity: Indian</p>

<p>GPA: 3.64/4.0 </p>

<p>SAT (superscored): 1260 cr+m. 640 Math, 620 Critical reading. </p>

<p>ACT (Taking it again within a month): 30 Cumulative; 34 English, 29 Math, 27 Reading, 29 Science, and 8/12 on the writting portion. </p>

<p>I was on my school's academic team in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade.</p>

<p>Chess Club.</p>

<p>Robotics Club.</p>

<p>Science Olympiad.</p>

<p>Science National Honors Society.</p>

<p>Beta Club</p>

<p>I am a JCL officer.</p>

<p>Competed in my county science fair</p>

<p>AP scholar:</p>

<p>-Human Geography: 3
-World History: 3
-Chemistry: 4
-Latin (Virgil):2 ( ik, pretty bad.)
-Calculus: currently taking
-Physics B: currently taking
-Psychology: currently taking
-Government: Currently taking
-Macroeconomics: Will take next semester
Class rank: ~ top 23%</p>

<p>Community service: ~50 hrs</p>

<p>If your application is already in, I would guess your chances to be good.</p>

<p>Are you a high school student?</p>

<p>You’re an academic admit based on you ACT and your class rank. Get your app in and all your documentation now, and I’d say you’re in.</p>

<p>As an out-of-state applicant, I don’t think you qualify for ‘auto admit’ status, though I could be wrong. Non-auto admits go through a ‘holistic’ review. Typically, such students don’t hear until, say, Feb or March.</p>

<p>I don’t believe A&M ‘super scores’ (few schools actually do). I think they just take the one set of results that gives you the best odds of admission. An ACT of 30 is above the average for A&M as a whole and about the cutoff for being in the top 25%. For the engineering college, however, a 30 will likely be closer to the average. (The average ACT in the engineering college of the school down in Austin is a 31 where as its university wide top 25% cutoff is at 31. Finding these details for A&M has proved a bit harder for me on a lazy Sunday afternoon.)</p>

<p>A&M admits students to the engineering college, not a specific major. Were you to be admitted and attend, you’d find that the first year of classes is virtually the same for all engineering ‘concentrations’. Forcing this delay is a wise move on the part of the college. It gives students almost a year to sample, learn, & ask questions before they must choose.</p>

<p>FormerProf I agree with all you said except for the auto-admit part. Out of state students may qualify for admission through the academic admit process unless something has changed in the last year. If the poster has a class rank in the top 25% (he does at 23%) his ACT scores will get him in to A&M. He will likely get into engineering if he applies early.</p>

<p>Academic Admits</p>

<p>Applicants qualify for automatic academic admission (but not necessarily to the major of choice), if they successfully complete the minimum required coursework and:
• rank in the top quarter of their graduating class;
• achieve a combined SAT Math and SAT Critical Reading score of at least 1300 with a test score of at least 600 in each of these components; or achieve a composite ACT score of at least 30 with a test score of at least 27 in ACT Math and ACT English (students must take the writing component of the SAT and/or ACT in order for the test score to be considered);
• meet the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy; and
• ensure all required credentials are received by the freshman closing date</p>

<p>Correct. Out of state students can still be academic admits. TAMU does not superscore. But the ACT score, together with rank, providing all class requirements have been met, qualifies OP for academic admit.</p>

<p>And yes, it will be general engineering initially.</p>

<p>Just to clarify, under the “international freshman” section of the A&M admissions website, I found a blurb on “Academic Admits” that looks identical to the parallel section under the normal (in-state) admission section.</p>

<p>I think I finally understand it. Formally, “auto admit/top 10%” does not apply to OOS students, but OOS students can be “automatically” accepted under the “academic admission” criteria. (Some days, I think the few law classes I took actually make my life more difficult.) </p>

<p>In the end, it’s all just a matter of semantics – “auto admit” versus automatic “academic admit”. Same end result, different label. Regardless of the label, the OP should be accepted quickly. :)</p>