Industrial Engineering?

<p>Howdy! :) </p>

<p>I am applying for the 2013 Fall semester and interested in Industrial Engineering. As of right now, I do have automatic admission to A&M being in the top 10%. Concisely, all I am worried about is my math SAT score.
I'm literally about 20 points away from the engineering school's minimum SAT math score. Thankfully, I'm already registered to take it in October.</p>

<p>My question, is Industrial Engineering a popular major? </p>

<p>Since A&M does rolling admissions and I won't have my COMPLETE (just missing that SAT score) application done until late Oct. when I receive the scores, plus another week or so for the school to receive that score. I will definitely have 2nd & 3rd choice majors as backups.
I don't really know how popular my first-choice major is. </p>

<p>Hopefully, I will become an aggie next school year! :) Class of 2017! (That sounds so far away! haha.) </p>

<p>Thank you in advance, God bless! :)</p>

<p>I don’t believe it is among the most popular of the engineering majors, but I think it is a major that can lead to many good lucrative opportunities. Therefore, if you find this major to be interesting, go for it.</p>

<p>Great! haha. I really do want to major in that. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>So, do you think by the time I will be done with my application–probably early November-- there will most likely be spots open?
I’m definitely not a procrastinator and that’s why I’m so worried about this.</p>

<p>peachers you should probably call admissions to clarify. My thought is that you should get your application in ASAP and see if you can be provisionally admitted. This sounds like a question for an admissions counselor.</p>

<p>I think I will! I’ll see if I can send in my application and add a note saying I will be taking the SAT again in Oct. I’ll feel better know my application is there and i just need one last item. :slight_smile:
Thank you for your input! </p>

<p>I have several ideas and I’ll just ask them what is my best bet.</p>

<p>I am an incoming freshman who is Industrial Engineering. It is one of the less populated Engineering disciplines. A lot of industrial engineering majors intend to transfer into mechanical but cannot due to the limited number of seats that mechanical has available. </p>

<p>At first I was a little ho-hum about IE, but as I learned more about it I got more excited. There is SO much you can do with that degree. Just get your minimum SAT math score and you’re in. Hope to see you next year in IE!</p>

<p>I have already e-mailed the local prospective consolers and have gotten a response to what I should do. So I hope this all works out! Applications open in about 10 days! I have already started on essays and everything else. :slight_smile: I’m ready! </p>

<p>@SergeantCowboy,
That’s great. Hopefully I can transfer to it later on or maybe change my major once I get admitted. :slight_smile:
I know! I think it’s a very good degree with a balance of math and business. It’s perfect!
Hopefully my plan goes through smoothly and next year I will be at the IE department! :slight_smile:
Thank you for responding!</p>

<p>What was the advice from the admissions counselor on what to do?</p>

<p>They told me to send my application how it is in order to get best housing. So I probably will be accepted with my 2nd choice major instead of my 1st choice (IE). Once I get my SAT scores in, I can change my major if there is room available in IE. They said IE is one of the last filled up majors in Engineering. </p>

<p>So this is what I plan to do. :)</p>

<p>It sounds like you are doing all the right things and have your options all out in front of you. I’m sure everything will work out in your favor. As I recall I didn’t even get the application fully submitted (stupid high school didn’t send transcript) until October, and I was still admitted to the Engineering school by December. </p>

<p>Do not be discouraged if you are not placed in Engineering. It is a tough curriculum and many students drop out, leaving spots open for you if you make the right grades. good luck and let us know if you have any other question!</p>

<p>Thank you SergeantCowboy! I hope it all goes well. </p>

<p>I’m afraid I have the same problem with transcripts. My school NEVER had the GPAs and class ranks. I went yesterday to pick up my transcripts and they didn’t include them. I have to wait a while and see when my school will put them on…it’s irritating but oh well. I just hope it’s soon!</p>

<p>Yeah. It sucks too because TAMU will not even look at your application until you have EVERYTHING submitted. So I had everything in by September except my transcripts, which A&M also had an unusually long time of “processing”, and that delayed my application for a while. I don’t even think they looked at it until October. </p>

<p>Here is my advice to you: submit everything that you can and once it is all in just sit tight and don’t worry about it. I went absolutely crazy checking their AIS website constantly just to see if I was admitted and I really wish I would have just enjoyed senior year more instead of fretting about it. In the end it worked out, and I’m sure it will for you.</p>

<p>I spoke with the lady my school who is in charge of transcripts and she told me to go talk to my counselor next week so hopefully she can help with my transcripts to contain my rank, gpa, etc.</p>

<p>Hopefully I can complete everything before school starts up again in late August. :slight_smile: My friends are freaking out because I’m already up doing my essays and stuff! They say I’m “stressing them out”.
Hey, I’m just taking advantage of the free time I have in the summer instead of killing myself during the school year. :stuck_out_tongue: </p>

<p>I have a pretty tuff schedule this coming semester, with a lot of math(yay!).
AP Physics
AP Statistics
AP Calculus,
Online College class
Pathophysiology
(I’m in a health&science school/program with all my electives being related to the title)</p>

<p>So i do not wanna leave anything to do during the school year! lol. :p</p>

<p>The physics and calculus are a great idea. Taking them right before you head to college will keep the information fresh on your mind. AP Statistics is actually a fairly interesting course, but the problem is that it is not calculus based so you will not be able to use it to take the place of the calc-based statistics course here at A&M (provided that your major even makes you take this course). It is still a good class to take as it will touch on a wide range of topics which are fairly applicable.</p>

<p>I took AP Physics and Calculus senior year and I’m hoping those are going to be still in my mind when I start school in a few weeks. Luckily I’ve still got all my notes from both classes so I can re-teach myself the stuff if I forget. That is one thing you’ll get in high school that you won’t get in college: the ability to get a teacher that can work with you one on one to fit your needs. College lectures are gigantic and you’re basically on your own to get the information.</p>

<p>It will be very helpful for you to take those classes. Good luck and study hard!</p>

<p>Thank you aGGieENGiNeeR and SergeantCowboy :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I have all my notes from Algebra II and Pre-Cal (I had very good teachers who wrote awesome notes!) so I’m gonna study that plus all I take in Cal & Physics.</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m taking a college class right now(National Government) and it’s about 80 students? I sit more towards the front and have been doing well.</p>

<p>The h.s. schedule may seem tough to you right now, but when you start at A&M as a freshman in Engineering, you will be so glad you took those. I just finished my first year in Engineering at A&M, and I can’t imagine how I would have survived if I had not had AP Calculus and AP Physics C in high school (not AP Physics B, which won’t help much since it’s not Calculus-based). Luckily, I got through the engineering physics, math, and chemistry without making a C this first year, and I have to give high school AP classes a lot of the credit. At the time back in senior year, I didn’t think I was learning anything in AP Physics C and complained a lot, but in my first year at A&M, I was really glad I had taken it, especially in the second semester of Physics when there is all of the E &M (electricity/magnetism). </p>

<p>Whether you think you will take the AP tests at the end of senior year or not, take the classes during senior year; don’t let other people who advise an easy senior year convince you otherwise. Also, the colleges look at your senior schedule on transcripts when they decide whether to let you in the program that you want as your major. If a person hasn’t had calculus, he will either (a) not be accepted to engineering or (b) will have to take a pre-cal class first semester and then re-apply to the specific major.</p>

<p>If you have a chance to take a programming class at community college or in your high school, that will also be helpful. My high school didn’t have that to offer, and I spent a lot of time on programming…got through it all right, but it would have been good to have taken it before.</p>

<p>Yeah, everyone I know will have off-blocks and easy classes this year. I won’t but I’m not going to complain about it. :slight_smile: I’m glad I have the opportunity to take more classes.</p>

<p>We might be getting AP Computer Science this coming year! I might trade that class with Statistics.
All the classes I will be taking senior year are:</p>

<p>AP Statistics OR AP Computer Science
AP Cal AB
AP Cal BC
AP Physics
AP Economics
Online College Class
Online College Class
Pathophysiology
Medical Terminology
Microbiology </p>

<p>We have two semesters with 5 classes each semester. </p>