Do you think I can get into UC Berkeley or UCLA?

Hello,

I am a high school junior with very strong aspirations of attending UC Berkeley or UCLA. I personally feel as though my credentials thus far are not strong enough in order to be admitted into either schools; furthermore, I need advice on what you believe I need to be successful.

UW GPA: 3.78 WGPA: 4.35 UC GPA: 4.09
-Registered to take the SAT

Thus far I have/am taken/taking seven AP classes:

-AP Human Geography

-AP European History
-AP Biology
-AP English Language and Comp
-AP US History
-AP Chemistry
-AP Spanish Language and Cult

I plan on taking these AP classes my senior year:
-AP English Lit
-AP Gov
-AP Econ
-AP Physics
-AP Calc BC
-AP Comp Sci

-I volunteer at my local hospital and another organization. I have roughly 300 volunteer hours thus far. I am lead volunteer for the organization I volunteer for.
-I am apart of my school’s mock trial team. This upcoming year, I will be the captain of the team.
-I am apart of my school’s symphonic and marching band. Next year I anticipate being first-chair tenor saxophone for symphonic band, and lead tenor saxophone for marching band.
-I have been apart of my school’s varsity tennis team since my freshman year.
-I am apart of this leadership program where our job is to help the new incoming students transition into high school.
-I am also apart of my school’s Academic Decathlon team.

I was nominated for the most prestigious award my freshman year; however I did not win. I was nominated again my sophomore year and I won.

I have won the MVP award for my tennis team.

I won the academic achievement award all throughout my high school career.

I have been named most improved woodwind musician for both Marching and Symphonic band this past year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/freshman-admissions-summary says that, for 2015, the admission rates for applicants with UC-weighted GPA 3.80-4.19 were:

12% Berkeley
14% Los Angeles

However, for impacted majors or divisions (e.g. engineering majors at these campuses), the admission rates were probably lower.

Can’t tell until you have your SAT scores. If you have around a 2k, you’ll probably have a decent shot at either schools.
Stop worrying about whether or not you get in, at this point.

Your course load is amazing! Be sure to make note on your applications of whichever AP honor you are awarded next September.

I believe that UC admissions generally compares students at a single school to each other, so that kids in all circumstances will have a chance. If you compare well to the other students at your school who are applying to UCLA and Berkeley, then you probably have a good chance. Also, students applying for particular majors are compared to each other. Obviously, those who apply for engineering are expected to have better stats in math and science. It is easier to get accepted if your major is not popular or impacted. However, bear in mind, if you are not accepted into the major you want, you cannot always count on being able to switch into it later.

Some applicants develop a theme in their applications. Their courses, extracurriculars, and essays mostly point to a particular interest or career goal.

As you know, colleges have to fill certain slots, like sports teams, marching bands, and volunteers to help freshmen get adjusted to college, which makes you a good pick.