Does eligibilty of UA scholar scholarship guarantee acceptance?

<p>My son really does not want to apply anywhere else. He is thinking that if he scores a 30 on the ACT with his 4.675 GPA that he would be guaranteed acceptance. We read on another forum that guaranteed merit scholarships were guaranteed acceptance. Is this the case? Or do you know someone who had high stats and did not get in?</p>

<p>The deadline is Dec. 15!</p>

<p>This would be for next year. He is already planning to apply as soon as they open in July. He is so pumped about Bama that if it is not a guaranteed I want to try and soften the blow. </p>

<p>If he has an ACT 30 and a 3.5 GPA and all of the required classes…and doesn’t have an arrest or something like that on his record, then he’ll be accepted.</p>

<p>Pretty much guaranteed. Yes, Virginia, there really IS a Santa Claus! :)</p>

<p>I suppose it’s possible that scholarship eligibility could be raised in the future, but I don’t think there’s any need to worry about his being accepted.</p>

<p><<< Pretty much guaranteed. Yes, Virginia, there really IS a Santa Claus! >>></p>

<p>That’s why he wears CRIMSON! :)</p>

<p>When would they change scholarship eligibility? He needs at least a 30 for the 2/3 tuition scholarship. That would put it on level playing ground with IS tuition.</p>

<p>The decision is made sometime in late spring/early summer.</p>

<p>But…tell him to take BOTH the SAT and ACT a few times. Some kids do better on the SAT, some do better on the ACT.</p>

<p>Depending on the kid, sometimes it’s easier to just focus on the M+CR sections of the SAT. </p>

<p>How’d he do on the PSAT? </p>

<p>What’s his intended major?</p>

<p><<<
showed us around the engineering halls. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Engineering? If so, then if he gets an ACT 30, and the merit offers do NOT change, then he’ll get THREE awards:</p>

<p>2/3 tuition from Bama
1/3 tuition from the CoEng’g
2500 stipend from the CoEng’g</p>

<p>Value: $110,000</p>

<p>That is way better than instate! ;)</p>

<p>Santa is very generous!</p>

<p>He took the SAT last May and scored around a 1200. He scored a 29 on the last ACT and will take it again tomorrow. Is the Engineering a guaranteed scholarship?</p>

<p>Yes, the Engineering Scholarship is guaranteed. My son got it.</p>

<p>Actually the value of the Presidential scholarship is potentially greater if your child takes more than 16 credits a semester. My child is taking 19.5 credits next semester and the tuition cost is $16K for the spring semester which the Presidential scholarship paid. </p>

<p>Since the Presidential Scholarship is now allowed to be used for graduate studies, if students wanted to take more credits each semester to graduate early, the Presidential scholarship will cover the extra tuition costs saving you and your parents thousands of dollars more then you can use the remaining scholarship for graduate studies. </p>

<p>I was actually going to ask about this. I was concerned when I read the extra costs when going over 16 credits per semester. SO, taking extra credits under the Presidential scholarship is NOT extra? It will definitely be covered?</p>

<p>laralei Yes it definitely will. The extra credits put the tuition bill at $15,625 and the Presidential scholarship covered every penny of that. I was expecting to pay extra over the value of 16 credits but to my pleasant surprise it was covered by the scholarship. Apparently the scholarship covers the full amount of the number of credits that a student takes whatever that amount is. More reason to go to Alabama and try to get the largest scholarship possible. </p>

<p>That is fabulous. Heck, sometimes I wish “I” were the one going!! :wink: </p>

<p>Question for clarification:</p>

<p>Working with a young man who just applied to Bama this week. His SAT CR and M is 1490. What does he need to do for scholarships? Just fill out the scholarship app? No special supplemental essays, right? He wants that full tuition scholarship, but I don’t want us to miss anything as priority deadline is Monday.</p>

<p>What if his official transcripts can’t get to Bama until later? Is that a problem? His GC is backed up.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>Just fill out the scholarship app. That is it and it will go throughout the college. That way if you are eligible for any other scholarships you will be notified. At least that is what I got through our tour. </p>

<p>Just fill out the scholarship app. No essays.</p>

<p>the wording for transcripts says “should be postmarked by Dec 15.” It does NOT say “must be.” So, I would take that to mean that the school understands that students can’t control when schools are going to send transcripts.</p>

<p>I would recommend that he bring the school an envelope with the below address already written out so that the GC and just stick a transcript in, seal it (usually they tape it closed and sign their name across the tape or stamp the tape) and send it out. She doesn’t have to provide a counselor letter or anything.</p>

<p>Have your most recent official high-school transcript sent to:
The University of Alabama,
Office of Undergraduate Admissions,
Box 870132,
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132.</p>

<p>Have your ACT or SAT score(s) sent to us. Our ACT code is 0052 and our SAT code is 1830. Information on these tests is available from your high-school counselor or from the test services: ACT, Box 451, Iowa City, IA 52243; SAT, College Board ATP, Box 592, Princeton, NJ 08541.</p>

<p>Woo Hoo!!! Santa came early. Son scored a 32 on the ACT. Now just hoping they don’t change the scholarship scores in the spring. </p>

<p>Congrats!</p>