Does UA ever deny acceptance to protect yield?

I know merit scholarships are automatic once accepted, but does the University of Alabama deny well-qualified applicants that they think may be using them as a safety?

Sorry, more context - We’re interested in UA for my daughter. The majority of our research is positive - good academic opportunities, honors program, automatic merit, diversity, beautiful campus. I like that the application opens early and the turn-around is pretty quick. Her stats would earn enough merit to make it affordable for us. It would be great to have an affordable acceptance in the bag early. The concern is we will not be able to visit until late fall, although we have talked to the rep at a college fair. Might UA deny/defer in this instance?

UA does not have an enrollment cap as of 2017, so if she qualifies for one of the merit scholarships acceptance is automatic.

I’ve never heard of this happening. I think they know that their generous scholarships are enough to possibly win over students whose stats might make it otherwise appear that they are treating UA as a safety. DS showed no interest and had high stats, but was accepted. (And will attend.)

I’ve never heard of them protecting yield, and I don’t think they keep track of expressed interest. I wouldn’t worry about it.

That’s a relief. Thank you!

On the contrary, I think they’re happy to have students apply to UA as a safety - they know they’ll win over MANY of them once all the decisions are in!

Who doesn’t like free money?

That was the impression I got, but couldn’t actually find it written anywhere. Didn’t want to tell my daughter to go for it, only to have her denied or deferred.

I read a great thread from a few years ago about UA’s high yield in comparison to other schools. Apparently a lot of prospective students apply because of the money, but stay when they see everything else that UA has to offer.

IME, she’ll have her acceptance in her hands within a couple weeks of clicking submit (and getting in all her required transcripts, test scores). It’s awesome to have that early in the fall . . . makes for a low stress senior year. :slight_smile: Worked that way for both my kids. :slight_smile: I do think it works in UA’s favor . . . we initially looked at UA as a safety due to the huge scholarships, but once each of my kids were admitted, visited, and started exploring opportunities there, they were each soon so sold on UA that neither ever completed applications to more “match” or “reach” type schools that would have required some effort for competitive scholarships/etc. UA got my 2 NMF kids largely due to the fact that UA makes it such a pleasant and easy process to get it, get $, and get going!

UA states in it’s common data set, that “level of applicant’s interest” is not considered. :slight_smile:

UA’s yield is about 38%, which is pretty good considering that most applicants are out of state. For comparison, UVa’s yield is about 40%, while at Georgia Tech, it’s 35%.

I don’t know the certain answer to your original question, but there is no problem applying to ua admissions and later cancelling or changing your mind. UA has a great handle on how many students actually enroll. You will not be ‘denied’ just because you haven’t visited until late fall. Many students apply, get accepted early, and don’t even decide till spring.

UA is a southern public Univ that pretty much follows the guideline set during desegregation that students who apply by deadlines with acceptable stats will be admitted. Following this guideline eliminates any possible accusation of denying someone based on race, color, creed, etc.