Dorm Housing at the Brand-New East Edge Apartments

<p>“For your information, I am not a student I AM A MOM!!!”</p>

<p>For your information, I am not a college student. I AM A MOM!!!</p>

<p>“And I have a college degree and I am so sorry that I am not an English Major.”</p>

<p>I have a college degree, and I am so sorry that I am not an English major.</p>

<p>“And if you saw my hand writing you would most likely have an issue with that also.”</p>

<p>If you saw my handwriting, you would, most likely, have an issue with that, also.</p>

<p>“I have someone to take dictations for me and grammar is not the top of my list for my profession.”</p>

<p>I have someone to take dictation for me, and grammar is not very important in my profession.</p>

<p>"I do realize you think you are educated because you have a child going to the University. </p>

<p>I realize that you think you are educated, because you have a student going to the University.</p>

<p>“But I am most certainly I am well more educated than yourself.”</p>

<p>I, most certainly, am more well educated than you are.</p>

<p>…</p>

<p>GRADE … F</p>

<p>I love this thread.</p>

<p>I am sure East edge will be nice when it is completed, but East Edge and UA housing dropped the ball on this one. Son’s apartment dirty as a just finished construction zone, which is in fact what it is. Too many things in his place that are incomplete or damaged or done half a$$ to list. Parking was a mess last night down at buildings 1 and 2, but a little better this morning. Not up to the typical high standards I have seen at UA.</p>

<p>you need to contact UA Housing if your child’s apt was booked thru them. </p>

<p>What bldg is your child in?</p>

<p>Building 2. Son and his roommates have already made them aware, but so far just unfulfilled promises to make things right.</p>

<p>As an aside, one of son’s roommates has heard that some junior and senior students housing scholarship students got a check from UA for the value of the scholarship and allowed to pick their own housing for this year.</p>

<p>Sounds like your son needs to meet up with bamagirls for a little intro to her inside man!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Was trying to hold back but just not possible. I am usually 100% with most of the long-time posters, you all have been a great source of help, support etc. from when we all started looking a few years back to where we are now. That said, I have rarely seen an Alabama thread turn so nasty. We have no idea who a poster is nor their background. Surely the offending grammar is something that you could have easily overlooked, but instead you’re all piling on. Writing this not to chastise you all, but to say that I’m so surprised, this is usually such an upbeat and nice group. I would hate to have future posters hesitate to come here for fear of the grammar police.
Be the nice people I’ve come to know - Roll Tide!</p>

<p>if you get hand slapped for grammar and then come back to post, “kiss my ass”, that tends to make it worse, not better.</p>

<p>then to come again and post that you are “well more educated” </p>

<p>… please!</p>

<p>See that “Report Problem Post” button Mike? Or you can send a PM, but let’s not stray so far from the OP, okay?</p>

<p>that some junior and senior students housing scholarship students got a check from UA for the value of the scholarship and allowed to pick their own housing for this year.</p>

<p>I haven’t heard this, but keep in mind that the “value of the housing scholarship” is not the cost of a honors dorm room. The value is the cost of a “standard double”. </p>

<p>It would be interesting to know who these students are. Do they have NMF scholarships or do they have athletic scholarships? Athletes sometimes are allowed to have the housing part of the their scholarships to be used off-campus. </p>

<p>If they are NMF students, then I would wager that they had some extenuating circumstances or that Bama literally ran out of places for them to stay in campus housing. I wouldn’t count on this happening on any regular basis or just upon request.</p>

<p>Building 3 seems to be coming along great!!! It really seems almost complete on the outside. Let’s hope for good news tomorrow morning.</p>

<p>We moved our daughter into Building 1 today. Her three roommates arrived yesterday. Luckily, her apartment was clean, but that could have been partly due to the roommates and their families. </p>

<p>Her only complaint is that she is on the fourth floor, and there is no elevator. However, since the building is on a hill, on one side the parking lot is even with the second floor, so she only has to walk up two flights of stairs instead of three! </p>

<p>I’m sorry everyone isn’t having a stellar experience at East Edge. I hope everyone is able to move into Building 3 on Tuesday.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>M2CK,</p>

<p>In the context of the discussion with our son’s roommate, it appeared that he was talking about NMF scholarship students and that the reason was a need to open up more housing space on-campus, but he didn’t indicate where or how he had heard about some students getting checks so that they could pick their own housing for this year. His source of information could simply be wrong.</p>

<p>It would make sense that the offers would have been given because of lack of space. With 240 incoming frosh NMFs and ?? NAs, Bama may not have anticipated that many enrolling, so they may have been short space.</p>

<p>Last fall there were 30 NA frosh, so that number may also be higher this year.</p>

<p>Any word on building 3?</p>

<p>Does anyone know if a morning meeting occurred today regarding building 3? Any word?</p>

<p>The EdR crew and subcontractors accomplished a lot this weekend and the Tuesday, August 21, move-in at 5 p.m. still looks good. A fire inspection and a meeting with the city will be conducted this morning (Monday) before the building inspector will grant us a temporary certificate of occupancy for move-in.</p>

<p>There are a few issues we want to make you aware of:
First, the cleaning crew is not making fast enough progress. Last night we hired additional cleaning companies to assist. We just want to let you know that every apartment might not be super clean. Because a subcontractor might come into an apartment home after the cleaning folks have been there, it will need to be cleaned again.
Second, the previous general contractor did not order enough towel bars, toilet paper holders, door handles and other miscellaneous hardware for the apartments. In most case all hardware is installed but potentially you may be missing a closet knob or towel bar. Our first priority is getting the buildings approved for occupancy, second priority is the cosmetics.
Last, after going through the appliances in storage and not yet installed by the last general contractor, we have determined we do not have enough stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers to accommodate every apartment in Building 3. You may be missing all or just one of these appliances. Every apartment has a microwave.
We have contacted General Electric and have taking over the contract from the General Contractor for payment and delivery of the missing appliances. The appliances have been ordered and are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday from Kentucky for installation. Our goal is to have all of your appliances installed by Friday at the latest.
If you have immediate needs (health or religious, etc.) for any of the appliance(s) missing from your room, please call Susan Jennings at EdR ( 901-259-2506 ).</p>

<p>We will send another update regarding appliances as soon as we have one.</p>

<p>Thank you again for your patience and understanding. </p>

<p>East Edge</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, sjack. I wonder how many people are unemployed today as a result of this mess. </p>

<p>Here’s your challenging word problem for the day: If East Edge has x number of units and each unit requires a refrigerator, how many refrigerators do you need? No Googling or Life Lines! ;)</p>

<p>It might be helpful for students to know the shuttle schedule as classes begin in case they want to catch the shuttle. Here’s the link:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf[/url]”>http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I am starting to think that the other contractor is not a Alabama Fan.</p>