Dorm Switch before move-in

<p>Please help. I'm an incoming freshman and I'm thinking that I've made the wrong decision to live in a living learning dorm and want to switch to a "normal" dorm before the August move-in. Has anyone had any experience with this? Your advice is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Your best bet is to give Res Halls a phone call on Monday and ask them your questions. They may be able to accomodate you but dorm assignments should be done by now and you may have to wait and make your request in the fall. There will be other students switching rooms when they can.</p>

<p>What learning community did you choose?</p>

<p>Chadbourne</p>

<p>Are you serious about college and learning? If so, you have one of the best locations on campus. If not–well college is expensive and maybe you should rethink your priorities a bit.</p>

<p>Chadbourne is a great dorm. Not everyone in Chad is in the ‘learning community’ (though, you can’t tell the difference). Compared to my son’s experience in Ogg, my daughter’s experience last year in Chad was far better. You are lucky to be in Chadbourne, but feel free to call housing to ask about changing. BTW, Chadbourne IS a ‘normal’ dorm. (LOL).</p>

<p>Barrons is right man… you really need to rethink your priorities. Anyone that lives in Sellery, Ogg, Witte, Smith, etc… are all drunken, good for nothing slobs. You’re bound to learn next to nothing in those dorms. No good has ever come from them. Waste of $25,000.</p>

<p>Seriously though, call Res Hall and see what they can do for you. Wherever you live will be great. Nothing wrong with changing your mind.</p>

<p>Nice attempt at humor but facts are facts too. Students that live in a LC get better grades than those in the other on campus dorms.</p>

<p><a href=“http://apa.wisc.edu/Fall_2005_Freshman_Outcomes.pdf[/url]”>http://apa.wisc.edu/Fall_2005_Freshman_Outcomes.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>However, plenty of students who excel in the Honors program do not choose those dorms. Any motivated student can do well in any dorm. Any student can do poorly as well. Some like the idea of group activities, others don’t. Do not be afraid of failure if you are not in a learning community. Likewise do not feel it is not “normal” to be in one. UW has many diverse students- do what works for you without worrying what others may think. This is not the social setting found in HS where peer pressure can be significant.</p>

<p>Chadbourne is awesome! Not only do you live in a great location, but your dorm has more money to spend on programming (which translates into tons of fun trips, guest speakers, extra tutoring time, and other programs). Any dorm is what you make of it, but Chad is a great place to start out. Don’t be afraid of that “learning community” label, it doesn’t mean much in this case. Have a great first year! :)</p>

<p>Welcome UWalumna. Good to have some new blood and opinions here. Some os us get a little tired answering the same questions year after year.</p>