Dorms and Nightlife

<p>First, Southside or Northside Dorms? I could care less about the quality, just the environment. I'm looking for a very social environment. Secondly, I've heard that the nightlife, or social scene is lacking since the death of the individual last year. Is that so?</p>

<p>There’s not much difference between the “social life” of north and south side - probably either of the all-freshman dorms (Jones & Onondaga) are the best for meeting people as a new student.</p>

<p>The biggest effect of the death is that organizations no longer hold open parties - you used to be able to pay five bucks and go drink with a frat or whatever, but now you sort of have to know someone or be part of an organization to go to those parties, so it’s a little harder for underclassmen to get alcohol. I wouldn’t say the social scene has waned that much, though it’s just less pronounced and public than it used to be.</p>

<p>^ Yeah parties are still quite easy to find. Once I joined a culture club I was invited to a number of parties during the year.</p>

<p>Getting alcohol didn’t seem to be an issue for any of my friends. Though I wasn’t really into parties and didn’t attend very many so I can’t give a better idea of how they are.</p>

<p>Hi,
I didn’t want to start another thread… I just wanted to ask if you have to live with a roommate in the dorms? I really don’t want to live with another person that I don’t know…
Thank you for the answers in advance…</p>

<p>According to their website, there’s either Double, Townhouse, or “expanded occupancy” (triple) rooms. Single dorming is:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So to sum that all up, nope, sorry.</p>

<p>The SUNY Geneseo website states that single rooms are only available to students with some type of documented medical condition [<a href=“http://www.geneseo.edu/residence_life/housing[/url]”>http://www.geneseo.edu/residence_life/housing&lt;/a&gt;], so I doubt you can get into one of those.</p>

<p>Besides, isn’t that what college life is all about?. I don’t know your motives for preferring to dorm by yourself but I’m sure you won’t regret interacting and learning from a potential new best friend.</p>

<p>I know why you may feel unsure, I’m also looking forward to be granted admissions into Geneseo for the fall as a transfer student and the thought of living with a stranger comes to my mind every once in a while. I’m hispanic and I have never been out of New York City, I was raised in an environment which is predominantly hispanics also. I myself can’t wait to meet my potential roommate; if I get accepted of course. You can look at this from another perspective, you can be paired up with someone from a whole different background. Someone whom you can learn from and share experiences with, helping each other throughout the journey of college life. Don’t sweat it man, life is all about coping with strangers. As long as you both set down some type of rules and communicate efficiently, not much can go wrong from there. You can always get a room change I suppose.</p>

<p>I was in Onondaga my freshman year (back in 05-06) and it was great! I too recommend an all freshman dorm. Jones is much closer to the academic buildings through, which you might care about during the winter. Aside from that, I didn’t see any difference socially between north and south - most people went off campus for social stuff anyway.</p>

<p>Go southside for sure. If you’re looking for a social experience you can find it there. It’s where the majority of freshman live</p>