Early Decision Tech (Engineering)

<p>So, I applied Early Decision to Tech. I just want opinions on my chances of getting in:</p>

<p>I'm a resident of NOVA</p>

<p>GPA: 3.95 (weighted)</p>

<p>SAT: 1250 (math/reading) </p>

<p>Senior Courses:
AP English lit
AP Gov
AP Calc BC
AP Physics C
AP Computer Science
Advanced Programming
Advanced PE 12 (I needed a relaxing class)</p>

<p>APs Taken (score):
AP World (4)
AP Language (3)
AP US History (5)</p>

<p>Major: Computer Science and/or Physics</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
Model UN
National Honors Society
Math Honors Society
Science Olympiad
Future Business Leaders Of America</p>

<p>Outdoor Track 2009
Indoor Track 2008-2010
Youth Basketball League 2007-2010
Youth Basketball Coach 2010-2011</p>

<p>Grocery Store Cashier July-Present</p>

<p>I got accepted in state 2006 with similar stats but a lower gpa (3.5) and less AP’s 4 or 5 less than you. I’ve lived in NoVA off and on since I was a military brat but I don’t think that impacts whether students get accepted. However I’m not sure what’s changed in the past 4 years, I know it gets rougher each year.</p>

<p>However I’m posting because I’m currently in Computer Science and I just wanted to say that they recently changed a lot of the courses here. I think they are heading in the right direction but the main language right now is Java instead of C++ a few years ago so make sure you are exceptional at that.</p>

<p>However I’m in a course that deals with C and assembly that I’ll have to repeat along with 1/3 of the class (bad professor) and we have no pre-req classes for C and courses assume you know it so know that VERY well. If you have prior programming experience coming in, I think you’ll do fine. I had none and it’s been very rough for me here but that’s my 2 cents on Comp Sci here at tech. </p>

<p>Just some quick potential negatives during my experience of the program to get out of the way:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>There are no web development/web programming classes here. There may be when you take them but as of now no, they don’t exist.</p></li>
<li><p>most of the 1000/2000 level professors suck but there are a few great ones here in the department. Basically any Indian/Chinese last name = avoid (not to be racist) because they usually hold PhD’s and doing active research and thus are not really concerned with the success of the class. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>The exception would be Chang for physics as he’s one of the best that I’ve had here.</p>

<ol>
<li>There are tons of pre-req requirements that put up walls for the courses you NEED to take. So if you repeat one it can hurt. For example I have 35 more credits left and should have been out of here by this Spring, but I need to take two pre-req courses to take my upper level electives and so there will be one or two semesters where I can only take 12 credits and I may not graduate until 2012. </li>
</ol>

<p>But yea that’s pretty much it. I think you’ll do fine if you have programming experience.</p>

<p>ECs and courseload looks good, but try to get that GPA up by knocking out As in your AP classes.</p>

<p>Try to boost up that SAT too. It’s middle/mid+ so boosting would help. Maybe take the ACT to help if you get deferred.</p>

<p>Really focus on those AP tests; it’ll be hard because most of your peers will have probably tanked it by then, but they’ll regret slacking off and not getting credit. DEFINITELY try to get the CS credit. The entry CS course can be a grade trap if you’re not super meticulous and it’s not worth starting off with a B+ when you can avoid it. Getting out of some more core classes with the other APs you’re in will be good too. I’m really glad I stayed focused for the AP tests and got as much out of the way as possible.</p>

<p>While the comment about the professors is somewhat true, you just need to make an effort to get to know them. Some aren’t worth your time and will just be completely unable to help you…but there’s a reason they have a PhD and sometimes you just need to figure out how to extract the information/help you need from their brain. Don’t let languages/accents be a barrier. And if you’ve done your best and they’re just a bad teacher…so be it. Others have gotten an A before you, and others will always get As. Either find those students and work with them or put in the hours to get the grades you want. No matter how hard anyone ever says ANY course is, someone has probably CRUSHED it. Asking my Phys 2306 professor what his most successful students did went a long way towards helping me in that class.</p>

<p>Having CS experience will be a big boost because they teach intros like nobody in the class has ever heard of a variable.</p>

<p>Doing CS+Physics will be pretty tough, mind you. I’m not doubting that you can do it, but you’re really pushing yourself time wise. Doing something like EE/CPE+CS would be much easier. What kind of job/jobs are you considering with CS+Phys?</p>

<p>There’s plenty of combined research between Physics + CS, and quite a bit happening at Tech.</p>

<p>tl;dr I think you’ve got a good shot at early decision, try to bring your stats up to lock up your spot.</p>

<p>@chaz_0426</p>

<p>Yeah, the competition now is much higher. My scores now are considered average now sadly. Also, regarding the Computer Science program: since I am taking Comp Sci this year, I will be working heavily with Java (and am) so I’m glad I’m on the right track there. It’s actually a pretty easy language to work with once you get the hang of it. </p>

<p>And I hope that I get good professors if I get accepted! Even though I’m Indian, I can understand the language barrier and teaching abilities of Indian teachers so I’ll be sure to heed your advice. Thank you for your input!</p>

<p>@Hokagesama</p>

<p>I’m trying to get as many As as I can in the AP courses but the coursework is overwhelming. @_@ I’m going to try and do my best in my classes because I know that I have to submit my final transcript to the college. Also, I might take the SAT again but I have on question: once I get the decision on December 15th, and I get deferred, will I have time to pick up the SAT scores/grades or do they expect it by the regular decision deadline?</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m lucky to have the opportunity to take CS but my teacher is horrible. It’s basically a class where you teach yourself. I would like to become a software engineer, theoretical physicist, computer physicist, or any computer field thats application based. Thank you for your advice!!</p>

<p>The thing that always struck me as odd about fear/uneasiness with AP classes is the fact that EVERY AP class is supposed to be a strong representation of a freshman level college class. The advantage is that you get double the time (one full year vs 1/2) and have far less going on compared to all of the distractions that come with college. As you seem to be, many students “do it all” in high school but you will really (hopefully :-D) impress yourself with how much you step it up in college.</p>

<p>And if the teachers in AP classes aren’t so great, so what? Take that as an advantage too: many college professors early on will not be so great so NOW is the time to learn how to teach yourself material. If you can teach yourself calculus/Java, colleges have pretty good faith that you’ll make it through the program. Another advantage is that you’re already friends or at least acquainted with all of your AP classmates. In college, you probably won’t know many people in your classes early on. And even if you do, you’re not always sure of their work ethic or how they perform in classes.</p>

<p>My AP CS teacher wasn’t the best, but I did the work and kept looking for more things to learn / best practices. I’m not sure your question; admissions discussions is not something I’m well versed in.</p>

<p>Accepted! :ddddd</p>