Ethnic Studies...

<p>What are people taking to fill this req?</p>

<p>I looked through the classes and none of them interested me. </p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Poli Sci 230</p>

<p>yea... ethnic studies isn't going to be your fav class. I hear that a sociology class... 134, i think... minorities in america... is a super easy class with almost no work. whatever you do, don't fulfill that requirement by taking a class in the chem department.</p>

<p>Take one that satisfies both CommB and Ethnic Studies.</p>

<p>Remember to register early for those; they fill up <em>very</em> quickly.</p>

<p>I'm sure I'll learn some interesting things... but this requirement is pretty obviously politically contrived. Being forced into a class of this type defeats the purpose.. in my opinion.. and I would've been the type of person to take one of these classes to begin with.</p>

<p>Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.</p>

<p>I think it's fine - forces people from a single ethnic background- think white small town, medium large city Wis- to study groups outside their realm of experience. Consider all the people in majors where they would never consider learning about other cultures within the US. Also, consider those who grow up with an "us and them" attitude towards the local minorities in their town, they may be able to get past the stereotypes they grew up with.</p>

<p>BTW, if the Chem dept offered a course that satisfied the req it would be a good course- we read Rachel Carson's Silent Spring and The Double Helix in Chem 115-116 (the Honors sequence) back in the early 70's, plus had to write a (short) paper on each (think typing a page or more on a manual typewriter without any computer corrections). Do not make generalizations about science depts or otherwise comment without better knowledge. Break out of your box and consider things from different viewpoints.</p>

<p>chi-</p>

<p>i took poli sci 230 in the spring w/ professor marquez. were you in that class as well? who was your ta? i had adam.</p>

<p>Although I don't know what kind of courses the chem department offered in the 70s, I do know something about chem ethnic studies course. I took it last fall semester. It definitely was not what I was expecting. The first third-half of the course was like a Navajo culture discussion panel. No one really paid attention because that's not what we were going to be graded on. We also had a Navajo book to read... No one read that either. We were only graded on our writing skills (one of the instructors was a professional writer, so she made us do revisions, etc.), our speech-presentation abilities, and our ability to teach others (we had to write and grade tests based on our presentations). To me it was really frustrating because we spent so much time discussing stuff that was not going to be evaluated (i.e., Navajo culture) and absolutely no time discussing things that were (e.g., how to write good exam questions... it's trickier than it looks).</p>

<p>It's really a shame, though, how the course turned out. I was also taking a gen chem course simultaneously with the same instructor. That class was fabulous... loved it. But for one reason or another, the ethnic studies chem class doesn't impress many students.</p>

<p>"i took poli sci 230 in the spring w/ professor marquez. were you in that class as well? who was your ta? i had adam."</p>

<p>hahahaha yeah I was in your class and had Adam too as my TA. Prof Marquez could be irritating sometimes, but the material in the class was pretty interesting. Adam was a great TA too.</p>