Fall 2012 Dean's List is Published

<p>Wow, so many talented kids on one campus…ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>D didn’t make the President’s list but I am reminding myself that she did pretty darn well for her first semester. The deal killer was an A- in a 3xx course, which she barely made by the skin of her teeth! She didn’t have the plethora of A+'s to offset. How do these kids get all those A+'s anyway? Good job to all! (And maybe I’m the one who needs therapy, not Class2012Mom, since I am obviously feeling the need to explain this on the board. Ha!).</p>

<p>Chardo: missed your post, thanks so much, and Congratulations to your son. NY’ers did pretty well!! UA has some pretty amazing students.</p>

<p>Just a note that you will not see the President’s List designation on the transcript, it will only say Dean’s List. Cummulative GPA on the transcript will never be above a 4.0, but individual GPA’s such as one’s major GPA will go above 4.0</p>

<p>Students need a 4.0 not all A’s, so work for those A+'s. It helps the GPA. Conversely, anything above a 3.5 to just below a 4.0 will be Deans List.</p>

<p>Also, this list is a GPA for this semester only - it is not cumulative - I expect kids bounce on/off the list depending on the semester they’ve had.</p>

<p>Lattelady, plenty of room on Malani’s couch for the both of us! Actually, many times I have thought he could maintain his comfortable lifestyle exclusively serving CC parents. </p>

<p>List or no list - honestly, I just want my kid to keep up the GPA for the scholarship. Anything else is a nice bonus - but it’s all about the scholarship.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Uhhh…never mind. ;)</p>

<p>Yippee! My S and his three roommates all made the President’s List. :slight_smile: I could not be more proud of these guys!</p>

<p>Wow…glad to see NYers representing…lol…60 total.</p>

<p>Louisiana representin’ with 153. </p>

<p>Looks like everybody in my son’s dorm room made it, including one presidents.</p>

<p>Exciting seeing it in print. Roll Tide that there are more to come.</p>

<p>Cyprus, Egypt, Belgium, Bahamas, China, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Netherlands - amazing.</p>

<p>DS finally made President’s List – woohoooo!</p>

<p>He says that he worked too hard for it, though, and that it ruined his social life, LOL. This (Spring) semester, he says, will be his YOLO Semester.</p>

<p>To which I respond: Over my dead body. If he wants to go to Greece this summer with Prof. Tatiana Summers, he’s gotta get good grades. (Crack that whip, Tiger Mom! LOL!)</p>

<p>How do these kids get all those A+'s anyway?</p>

<p>Take Geography 101…LOL. Seriously!</p>

<p>And LatteLady, ISTM that an A- in a 3XX-level course is pretty dang impressive for a first-semester student!</p>

<p>DS has been on Dean’s List in the past; this is his first time on President’s List. </p>

<p>Your child is doing very, very well!</p>

<p>Congratulations to all the terrific students, including DS, and to all the proud parents!</p>

<p>How do these kids get all those A+'s anyway?</p>

<p>I thought it was grade inflation. :)</p>

<p>Seriously, in one of S’s freshman engineering courses, the syllabus said there would be a total of 1200 points and if you got above 1100 it was an A+. (That’s only 91.67%, that ‘could’ technically be an A-…back when I went to school, an A+ was 100% on every single assignment).</p>

<p>In other classes there was A LOT of extra credit, in a couple of S’s classes I think he could have gotten an A+ just doing extra credit even if he got 0s on every assignment…</p>

<p>Grade inflation?? Well, I can tell you for sure that’s not the case in many classes. My D for, for one, earned hers by having a great work ethic for the third semester in a row.</p>

<p>Grade Inflation, no, it is hard hard work, and perhaps some extra credit. It will be apparent when they take upper level classes that only hard work and not curves get the highest grades. There are professors that just will not curve at all.</p>

<p>Darn…D missed Presidential by .04. Ughhh But very proud of what she accomplished. Maybe next semester…
Congrats to everyone…what a great bunch of hardworking kids!</p>

<p>DS took chemistry, calculus II, sociology, and two engineering courses (111 and 142), with A+ in each one. He also had some non-graded honors seminars, played intramurals, plays on the UA volleyball team, and still finds time for a girlfriend and social life. It can be done.</p>