Family Ties?

<p>To gain an advantage in admission by having a family member who is a wisconsin madison grad, do they have to be immediate family? Would any possible relative work? Im talking 2nd cousins etc.</p>

<p>Immediate family-------</p>

<p>So would having 3 of my 4 grandparents graduated from Wisconsin Undergrad, does that consider me a legacy?</p>

<p>The application has a line with check off boxes for mother, father, grandparent, sibling and spouse.</p>

<p>I found out that my grandparent was a member of the Bascom Hill Society. He donated a lot of money to the Biochemistry department. Would this help make me a stronger applicant in the admissions process?</p>

<p>I saw no place on the application to describe what your ancestors had done, only check off boxes. Try thinking in terms of getting in on your own merit- if you get in you will have to succeed on your ability, not anyone else's. Money/connections will not be the key- good grades, test scores... will.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I found out that my grandparent was a member of the Bascom Hill Society. He donated a lot of money to the Biochemistry department. Would this help make me a stronger applicant in the admissions process?

[/quote]

Unfortunately, the backdoor via privilege relationship simply doesn't work in UW. This is something adcom always takes great pride in. </p>

<p>Having that said, legacy status can tip the scale in your favor in few cases. E.g. legacy OOS doesn't count toward the 25% cap so that could help in late application or postponed situation.</p>

<p>"I saw no place on the application to describe what your ancestors had done, only check off boxes. Try thinking in terms of getting in on your own merit- if you get in you will have to succeed on your ability, not anyone else's. Money/connections will not be the key- good grades, test scores... will."</p>

<p>Thanks wis75</p>