Feedback on college list

<p>I know it must have taken a really long time to write that post, so thank you for caring so much about my sanity during this college process.</p>

<p>I will add that Pitt is very numbers driven for it’s partial/full tuition scholarships. But the earlier you apply the better, JMO, but I think that the threshold gets higher as they fill their quota.</p>

<p>ryry- You are very welcome. I know this process can be stressful but really try to be the “educated early bird”. Be realistic but still shoot for the stars with reach schools on your list. I tell the students I work with the following and it seems to help:</p>

<ol>
<li>create an organizational system-get a box or crate and make up files for different categories (testing; essays; etc. ) and if school on your list.</li>
<li>create a resume and make sure it is detailed enough (but no more than 3 pages) don’t assume the reader knows what your honor roll means. give them the number “for a gpa higher than 3.6”) The doc put out by Cal-Tech “7 deadly sins of the application process” is good on this point. Don’t write “Math Team” instead write “Math Team: President (12); led daily practices & facilitated local & regional competitions.” </li>
<li>With resume in hand create two separate documents in word; 1 for honors (which you can then cut and paste into each application) and 1 for Community Service/leadership/Extra curriculars. Follow the format on the common app. Again you can cut and paste that document into other applications. </li>
<li>Essays-take care and do at least a few drafts; avoid cliches and look at John Hopkin’s admissin page for their samples and critique by admission reps . Make a list of all essay prompts you have to do and see if any can do double duty. prioritize your list and start working on them. </li>
<li>make a master chart of every deadline (including merit money) whether any special forms; applications; teach or counselor etc that is due. do it for each college. You can get a sample chart at [adMISSION</a> POSSIBLE| College Admission Resources for ALL Students](<a href=“http://www.admissionpossible.com%5DadMISSION”>http://www.admissionpossible.com) look for charts. do a listing for each college and just clip it to a clipboard and put it in your crate and check it all the time. </li>
<li>Make a timeline and master calendar of every deadline and work out a “work schedule” for you.
Put the target dates for when you are going to submit each application remembering that merit deadlines are usually early. </li>
<li>Prepare packets for teacher/counselor recommendations- if you school has a procedure follow it; if not then put a cover letter with request and tell teacher why that school; put your resume and any form in packet with a thank you and $5 gift card to starbucks etc. YOU WANT TO BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO ASK FOR THESE RECOMMENDATIONS because teachers get busy and letter writing gets tiresome. Monitor application portals to make sure teachers are submitting forms. </li>
</ol>

<p>Ryry-know this that it may seem overwhelming but if you keep a steady pace it can be manageable. I have told my students that from here on out they need to work at a MINIMUM 1 weekend day and 1 weekend night on colllege applications. They will get better applications and essays by giving them attention. It is tough with school work but if you work at a steady pace and sometimes make those social life sacrifices you will bet better off. </p>

<p>Good luck; Maybe we will meet at World Robotic Championship. My DD is big into First too-her team warlords lost by 1 point to Team 987 “High Rollers” in the regional competition. A tough but very exciting lost.
Itsv</p>

<p>I hope I was the first person in line for recommendations, since I asked my teachers in June. :smiley: In fact, one of them already submitted my letter. I’ll be visiting them soon to ask if they need anything else to do the letters.</p>

<p>I’ve done 5 or 6 essays thus far, none of them completely finalized, but I’ve done at least 2 drafts of each of them, and I’ll be editing until I submit the final application.</p>

<p>One question - what is a resume for? I made a 1-pager as my counselor recommended, but I don’t really know when I’ll actually need it. I’ll definitely put more work into it if I know that it’s actually useful.</p>

<p>Ryry- a resume is a 1-3 page document that gives the reader information on your educational background; honors; extra-curricular activities; community service and special interests. It is very useful for college admission purposes so you should take care in drafting it. You can attach it to some college applications which is a good thing because some apps really limit the space for honors/EC/Cs info on the application. You should always give your resume to anyone who interviews you. You can use it when applying to scholarships. You should always give it to teacher who write your recommendations since they can refer to info in the resume to their LOR’s. Look at the admission possible.com section on resumes for help in revising your resume. Here is another source. [Resume</a> Building and Writing |](<a href=“http://getmetocollege.org/hs/application-essay-tips/resume-building-and-writing-tips]Resume”>http://getmetocollege.org/hs/application-essay-tips/resume-building-and-writing-tips).</p>

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>I came across a question for my commonapp. In the Academics section, under Honors, I was wondering which of the following are significant and should be listed, and which should be omitted: National Honor Society, National French Honor Society, AP Scholar w/Distinction, NHRP Scholar, NM Semifinalist, Ventures Scholar, Opportunity Scholar, President’s Education Award (this is a school award where each teacher chooses one student).</p>

<p>Also, an update: I have 3 safeties now: UW Honors, UMiami (I’m a legacy), and UC Davis.</p>

<p>I’d say these, for sure: AP Scholar w/Distinction, NHRP Scholar, NM Semifinalist, Ventures Scholar. </p>

<p>Your school’s NHS is not a big deal. I don’t know what Opportunity Scholar is. The other school award, not so much either.</p>