Financial Aid Award =(

<p>I was pretty much shocked about my financial aid award. I received around $33,000 in scholarships and grants and another $3000 in work study. I'm eligible for around $8,000 worth of federal loans and the rest I have to cover with private loans. Miami costs a little over $53,000 which means I'd have to take out around $9,000 in private loans. How is this possible? My family isn't dirt poor, but we are pretty low income. My EFC is around 1100. Unless things change, I'm definitely not going to be able to attend Miami. I'm pretty upset. Is anybody else in the same situation?</p>

<p>Dubbly, I called today and the COA is 47000 total, up 2000 from last year. Are you instate? When Bright Futures is added and the Private school loan is added, it seemed to really help.
I understand your frustration...I experienced it with another school yesterday.
Call and see if something can be clarified for you. They were really helpful on the phone.
Best of luck.</p>

<p>The OP is correct. The UM budget for COA in a dorm is $53,544 (which includes $1500 for a computer), and $46k if living at home.</p>

<p>2009-2010</a> Cost of Attendance | University of Miami</p>

<p>Dubbly, while UM has a wonderful scholarship program, unfortunately, UM only meets 84% of financial need, according to its common data set.</p>

<p><a href="http://www6.miami.edu/planning-research/CDS0708.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www6.miami.edu/planning-research/CDS0708.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>BlueBayou is correct. However, I was told that 47000 is the total which would be billed, not the COA...sorry about that! If you live in Florida, transportation would not be near 1350, and a laptop can be purchased for less than 1500, which is a one time cost anyway. So, I think it can be done for less than 53000, but probably not a whole lot less if you live on campus.</p>

<p>i got $3K grant, 2K work/study, 5K loans</p>

<p>**** :mad:</p>

<p>Yeah, this is really frustrating. Is it possible to appeal for more money? How successful would I be? I'm OOS, so I don't get any of the Florida grants and I'll be living on campus too.</p>

<p>I got 25K fin aid award, 3,000 work and study, and 7,000 in loans. But yeah, that's just for tuition, dorms and food and other things will add up, it's still pretty expensive.=(</p>

<p>dubblyu91 your EFC was 1100ish and that's all you got in aid? Wow that sucks..</p>

<p>I'm not looking forward to my aid package, our EFC was around $13000, but i can't afford more than $10k per year, especially cuz its only undergrad..</p>

<p>oh balls</p>

<p>Right now, I have about 10k that I'd have to pay, but am waiting to hear from other scholarships. Try to apply for other scholarships; a bit hear and there can really help. But if you really think about it - 10k a year to go to an excellent institution is worth it in the long run; you can take out loans and you won't have to pay them off till your out of school - and by going to a good school you'll make more money and will be able to pay the loans off.</p>

<p>^^Ummm, in the OP's case, his/her cost to attend UM is really $53k-$33k = $20k per year. Loans are loans = self-help.</p>

<p>$80k in debt after four years is WAY too much for an undergrad and family to assume, particularly with an efc of $1100.</p>

<p>^ And especially if you plan to go for some sort of graduate studies... $80K in debt isnt worth it for any school, unless you're really rich lol</p>

<p>bayou - how much of the 33000 is from financial aid? all of it? or is some of it scholarships?
thanks</p>

<p>did anyone not receive a FA package yet? i filled out my FAFSA the 2nd week in january</p>

<p>Your financial aid is posted on myum</p>

<p>Awards for the Year/Semester you selected are not available for viewing at this time. </p>

<p>am i screwed?</p>

<p>Although a nice school, I am not going to pay $30,000 per year to go there.
One more spot available to someone else (rich of course)
Maybe I can sell the spot on Craiglist.</p>

<p>I got no financial aid at all. Yet, they sent me an email saying to look at the "awards" I received.</p>

<p>go to myum section of the site, and u can see what u have been awarded</p>

<p>"One more spot available to someone else (rich of course)"</p>

<p>You sound bitter. Just thought I should throw it out there that not everyone who goes to UM is rich: a common stereotype. UM is very generous with scholarships, so if you didn't get one, you probably didn't deserve it based on merit.</p>

<p>anyone know how the appeal process works?</p>