Financial Aid

Does anyone know when financial aid will be released for accepted students?

You find it in your student center under the financial aid tab.

https://financialaid.wisc.edu

There is no way of knowing an exact date, but once your information is processed, your aid reward will be emailed to your email on file.

Financial aid came out today for my D regular decision, only got student loans

I have no awards right now but there is a page where it says estimated aid at 5.5k. Is there any way it would be more than that? If not, it would be very difficult to attend.

@amelchd It sounds like that may be for a student loan. That is all my son received which is what we expected.

@Brownsl so you guys got a 5.5k loan and no other aid? I’m out of state so I’m not expecting much. 58k estimated COA seems high though. Figured I’d try my luck with aid and see.

We are OOS and were only offered the $5500 loan. That is all the “aid” that was offered.

On the summary it just says “total estimated aid: $5500” because it isn’t an actual award yet. So it’s a loan? LOL.

@amelchd Yup, that is all that was offered to my son … a loan. We were hoping for some merit scholarship money but expected nothing. My son really likes UW but it will be full pay. The big public state schools focus on providing merit money for in-state students with the exception of Ohio State which provides more aid to OOS students. We are from Ohio.

@Brownsl when dealing with merit scholarships for OOS, what are the stats we are talking about? I’ve got a 32 ACT. Probably need to be in the 34-36 range to get a merit scholarship from UW, right? Would you consider UW full pay when you have tOSU for in state cost?

I’m instate, and I’m still waiting on mine.

Just got mine this morning. 5.5k LOAN for the 34k estimated need that they calculated. :frowning:

@amelchd just curious, what were you expecting in terms of FA? What number did you get when you ran the NPC for UW?

@amelchd My son has good stats: 4.0 UW GPA, #1 in class, 1450 SAT, strong ECs.

He comes from a school in which the students: 1) do not go to college, 2) go to a CC, 3) go to a smaller in-state university such as Toledo, 4) or a few others might go to OSU. It is rare that anyone goes out-of-state for college.

Even though he applied to OSU and got accepted along with a smaller merit scholarship he has very little interest in staying in state. I have spoken positively about OSU (I got my MS from OSU) but he really wants to go out of state to have a totally different experience. So, even though the cost difference is significant, fortunately it is something we can manage financially. He is also considering RPI, Rose-Hulman, Purdue, and Illinois. He did get accepted into Indiana with very nice merit money but without an engineering dept (he is worried that he might end up wanting to switch from the sciences). He also got accepted into several of the UC campuses and Northeastern but those are likely not realistic options. He is still waiting on NYU which he is also very interested in.

@Brownsl I’m in a similar position. I’ve been accepted to UT in state and I would like to go out of state and it would be financially feasible but it just wouldn’t make sense at all at 2-3 times the cost.

And @oboemom65 I know UW’s main concern is in state kids. I’m not one to get mad that they didn’t give me a good aid package. I’m just disappointed is all. The calculator gave me an estimated cost of attendance of 35k, which is much more reasonable when compare with the cost of my state school. 53k even with a 5.5k loan is a lot!