for those who were at Eng. Open House

<p>We were there. Had a great time, son enjoyed all the sessions. I couldn't believe how packed it was. Did anyone go to the last session of the day on admissions? We had to get on the road, but wanted to see what interesting points or questions were addressed. Did anyone learn anything new at this particular session? Thanks.</p>

<p>Out of curiosity did you make it to the MSE demos? We were floating stuff with liquid nitrogen.</p>

<p>My son did not get to the MSE. He went to a Robotics/first one, aerospace and a lab that he said was just a professor talking way over his head. He would have loved the cool floating lab you had! He has always been thinking mechanical eng. but after the entire day, he wants to go aerospace. I'm just nervous about his GPA at this point (ONLY a 10th grader) so has time to work on it, and that is why we went - to give him incentive. He is about a 3.7 doing all honors and will do Dual Enroll. and APs in Sr. year, but GPAs seem to be so much higher so not sure what will happen in his future.</p>

<p>Is that 3.7 weighted? If so then that's a good GPA and if not that's a stellar GPA.</p>

<p>His gpa is 3.7 weighted. He is ONLY a 10th grader but wants nothing but to go to Tech and engineering there. I think the PowerPoint at the overview at Open House sorta scared him. She showed the average gpa was 3.89 and we KNOW she said that is only an average - "some are below, some are above." Okay, just HOW below. We feel with a 3.7 he is already not qualified. He has always been an honors student and in jr. and sr. he'll be taking all AP/honors courses, and he'll have SATs next year, so a LOT can change before he even applies.</p>

<p>There is always a chance. GPA isn't everything. If he is a good student with a good application, good things can happen. I got in with a 3.1 weighted, in the bottom half of my class.</p>

<p>Don't worry. A 3.7 GPA will rise significantly with AP weigthed grades in Junior and Senior years.</p>