Freshman Honors Question

<p>After reading several threads on here and also the undergrad requirements at UA site – I’m a little confused on proposed Fall 12 freshman schedule for my D:</p>

<p>Right now she has this for a proposed schedule:</p>

<p>Micro Economics
Eng 103
Math 112 (it is what she was recommended and really all she needs for MIS)
GY 101
Dance 451 (This is only if she can get an override to get into class, or another elec)
Alabama Action</p>

<p>I think this is 17 credits; however 1 of them is from AA and will be completed prior to start of classes – so a 16 credit schedule.</p>

<p>I keep seeing that she needs a “freshman honors seminar” – is this correct?</p>

<p>Should we try to rearrange and fit in a freshman seminar?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>RTR!!!</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure they don’t need to take a Freshman Seminar</p>

<p>Most incoming students will need at least 3 hours of humanities and these classes carry an Honors and Humanaties designation and they are for incoming freshman only…so they can be taken later although there are plenty of other classes that can be taken to complete the requirements as well :)</p>

<p>I think it is just another way to get plugged into the Honors College the first semester</p>

<p>Honors frosh are NOT req’d to take a freshman honors seminar. Those are offered for those who want to take them. Not req’d. </p>

<p>Many honors kids can’t fit them in.</p>

<p>BTW…if you counted how many seats there are total for FHS classes, you’d be able to tell that they can’t be req’d for honors frosh…not enough seats.</p>

<p>Many/most honors frosh take some other honors course(s) their fall frosh year. Your D is taking Eng 103 (that counts as honors) and AA (also honors).</p>

<p>As the others have mentioned, there is no requirement to take a freshman honors seminar. </p>

<p>Your D has a great schedule for her first semester at UA.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info all</p>

<p>Wow, this info (esp from M2CK) makes me feel soooo much better. Son doing eng’g was panicked a bit about these honors seminars and how to fit one in. Nice to know that Eng 103 will count as Honors, and I forgot about AA (which he is attending).
Since E103 counts as Honors class, is the enrollment limited per session (like other Honors classes)? We haven’t looked into it this far, sorry, so I’m taking the easy option by asking here rather than go into course catalogue and counting seats… </p>

<p>My son is having to break all the rules of your other advice, tho, due to his particular track/major, i.e., he is having to take an 8 am class (due to unavoidable conflicts); he is having to take 3 hard ‘thinking’ classes in 1st Semester + 3 other small, but mandatory eng’g classes (nothings really easy); and he is taking 18 credit hours (inc AA) because he wants to fit in symphony (his stress reliever). <em>sigh</em> Oh well… We will talk w/ advisor at BB, but at the moment, the 8 am + overfull load looks very likely.</p>

<p>^^ Enrollment isn’t limited to the 15 people that would be in a UH honors seminar, but they’re very small classes (less than 20).</p>

<p>This is a good Freshman Honors Seminar to take for anyone looking at a class to lighten their load and gain Honors Seminar hours:</p>

<p>Honors College Connection: Mentors provide freshman students with academic insight, encourage them to take part in campus activities, and serve as a friend during their pivotal transition into college. Through the development of these relationships, this one-hour course seeks to further establish the Honors living-learning community.</p>

<p>D will be mentoring along with a nice young male Honors student.</p>

<p>^ what is the course number for honors college connection?</p>

<p>Bamagirls, what is the time commitment for an Honors Connection class (beyond the 1 hour meeting time per week)? My D would like to do this, but I’m wondering if it would be too much on top of 15 hours of class plus an hour of Emerging Scholars (if she gets into that). I keep hearing that first semester freshmen shouldn’t overload. On the other hand, Honors Connection just seems like a fun, get-to-know-the-campus-and-some-other-honors-students type class. Am I mistaken?</p>

<p>Honors Connection is one of the subsections under UH 120. Son’s experience - it was very doable with a full load and did not add any real workload to his schedule.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom,</p>

<p>There was very little outside time commitment. They usually have a small assignment to explore/find something on campus. I believe the purpose is to have them meet people and become familiar with campus and campus life. I remember seeing some pics of bonding activities at one meeting where they were apparently building a human pyramid??? Just enjoying a chance to get to know each other. It was an easy class for my D to allow some down time in her schedule. They generally meet at different locations if I recall, once even at RCS. I agree with Socal, it is very doable. Chardo, did Socal’s answer provide what you needed?</p>

<p>BamaAF, if your D is considering MIS, which is my D’s major, there may also be another 1 hour class that is like a freshman intro to business class GBA 145(?) that your D may have to take sometime during freshman year. My D says it was often just discussion on getting acclimated to school, the business college, etc. But not to worry, the advisors at BB will make sure that all required classes are accounted for. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Thanks Dad2ILT – I do see the GBA 145 elective – We will keep an eye on that. I think my D would get much more out of a different elective, so hopefully the counselor won’t “highly recommend” it.</p>

<p>I took GBA 145 last semester, and I do not recommend your S/D taking it. My advisor said it would be a great way to get familiar with the business school, but I found the class not worth the time. Maybe because it was my only class on Thursdays (and at 8:30 in the morning) but it still seemed too troublesome for a 1 hour credit class. Really the only thing worth it was being forced to go to the Career Fair, but I would have done that anyways. Definitely would advise some other elective.</p>

<p>Djoker, my D is going to be in the business school so this course is “highly recommended.” What exactly does the class involve? Why was it not worthwhile? Do you think the instructor matters, or is the course content simply not necessary? Was there much time involved outside of the one hour class meeting per week?</p>

<p>bm: GBA 145 was recommended to all the business students during Bama Bound because the course would familiarize you with all the different majors in the business school. However, I felt like most of the information was common knowledge, and could easily be obtained by talking to a professor or a department-specific advisor. For example they gave a presentation in accounting, and explained what it is and what jobs are available in the field. I knew pretty much everything they said, and felt like there was no reason for me to be in there. </p>

<p>However, I must say that I cannot speak speak for everyone. Some people might not have had a clue about accounting, and the presentation could have been an eye-opener. However for me, as a motivated honors student, I felt like it was not really worth the time. It was surprising too, how few honors students were in that class. Around 75-80 students in total, only 5 were honors. One class period even was used to register for next semester’s classes. Yet THREE weeks earlier, I had already met my advisor and got signed off to register. I told my teacher that I had already registered, but he still wanted those earlier registers to come anyways. Really aggravating when it’s your only class at 8:30 in the morning.</p>

<p>It could have been the teacher as well. Mine was Avant, who is the only GBA teacher to give a final. It was also aggravating that it was my only final on a Friday, and it took me ten minutes (we were all required to take it.) </p>

<p>Again, it could have just been the time of the class. I was not motivated at all to wake up for my only class at 8:30 A.M. on Thursdays. Every morning I dreaded getting up. As for the class work, it isn’t hard at all, it’s more so inconvenient. If your S/D is looking for an easy, 1-credit class, then maybe consider GBA. Just don’t schedule it in the morning!</p>

<p>While GBA 145 is listed as being highly recommended, it is really designed for those who don’t know what type of business they want to major in. I rarely see it recommended to top students as they likely already know much of the information. The business school is really good about sending emails to advertise events and other opportunities for business majors, so students can still find out a lot about the college without taking GBA 145.</p>

<p>This question may be completely irrelevant to the topic in this thread, but how are ppl already proposing/registering for classes? I thought everything starts and BB orientation, and until then, all you can do is to look up classes and think about possible classes.</p>

<p>Current students are already registering/have registered I think – only incoming students have to have their account unlocked by counselor during BB prior to registration – I think this is what I understand</p>