Furniture Shopping

<p>We are going to need to purchase furniture for our daughter’s apartment for next year, and I need some help because I am not familiar with Alabama stores. We will be flying into Birmingham and am looking for stores in the Birmingham/T-town area</p>

<p>A couple of things:

1. I am not interested in used furniture.
  2. I am hoping to not have to assemble the furniture.</p>

<p>Here in Colorado we have a store called “American Furniture Warehouse,” where you can purchase lower cost furniture which would be appropriate for a college apartment. </p>

<p>We have considered purchasing locally on sales, close outs, etc., but shipping will cost a $1,000. So we have a $1,000 more to spend if we buy locally for the same total cost. A store called Havertys looked interesting, anyone have experience with them, have others to recommend, or other strategies that have worked?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>Not sure what I can post but we found a place that had delivered and set up everything, fairly reasonable. I definitely recommend.
The young guys name is Addison Criswell. They had several bedrooms & mattresses to choose from. Plus other furniture.</p>

<p>Already Furnished </p>

<p>205-399-1978 cell | 205-375-2760 office</p>

<p>Haverty’s is the popular furniture store in town, but it is more for people furnishing a house.</p>

<p>Sam’s Club will likely have some items, as will the Costco in Hoover if you have a membership there.</p>

<p>Sealy On Campus (on The Strip), Costco, Ikea in Atlanta, easily worth driving three hours, Pier One, Sams Club, Spiller Furniture, or Target.com often has free shipping.</p>

<p>The good thing about Affordable Furniture is that you can pick it all out beforehand and it is delivered assembled when you need it. A lot of stores dont have everything you need in stock ready to deliver. Coming from OOS we really needed to be able to get this all done remotely. I looked at several scenarios- driving a truck, shipping in, pick-up and this seemed to be the best option & prices were good. I am a huge IKEA shopper but we didn’t have a vehicle to carry everything we needed nor the time to build it all. We built a desk & bookcase that we picked up in T-town and that took long enough. Very happy with how it worked out, with everything there and set up on day one.</p>

<p>If you choose to consider IKEA, it’s possible to rent a pretty large covered trailer for less than $30.00 per day in the Atlanta area and drop it off in Tuscaloosa. There’s no extra charge for the one way travel and it can be dropped off on Skyland Boulevard. All you need is a vehicle with a trailer hitch. While this won’t work for everyone, it might be something to consider.:)</p>

<p>We love IKEA. But you can’t order ahead by phone although u can check availability online. You have to visit the store in person to order. The atlanta store won’t ship to Alabama. And worried about how long it would take to assemble furniture as well as packing all tools. If they did ship like the Colorado store and assemble that seems to add a $1000.00 So at that point I it seems I might as well go the Haverty’s way or similar store and perhaps get better quality at same price. Thanks for the already furnished tip by the way that is another option!</p>

<p>Check out Rooms To Go and Ashley Furniture they both have stores in Birmingham/Hoover. Wasn’t sure if I could post a link or not but easy to Google :)</p>

<p>you can get a good amount of basics you would need at walmart and/or target. either in-store or online. better selection online, of course. </p>

<p>yes, you would have to assemble, but i don’t think that is a big deal. you could get a couple friends to come help.</p>

<p>you can also get things at pier 1 and world market.</p>

<p>Did you look at anything at Sealy On Campus on The Strip? They have some nice furniture and decor. I thought much of what I saw was reasonably priced, especially compared to Haverty’s. :)</p>

<p>look into Big Lots.THere is one located in North Port. Some provide delivery and you can shop on line.</p>

<p>big lots is a good idea for lower priced furniture.</p>