GBA 145 for business school

<p>At Bama Bound they told us that GBA 145 is required, but I thought it wasn’t and I don’t see it anywhere as being a required course. ???
It sounds very basic and I would like to skip it if I could.</p>

<p>tommy, my son is a Business Major, now three credits shy of senior standing, and, having received two-plus years of advising, has never taken GBA 145. The only GBA he’s had thus far is 300.</p>

<p>So, I think you are right. Hopefully SEA_tide will weigh in (or you could pm him). He probably knows the answer to this.</p>

<p>It is recommended but NOT required. Unless something has changed in the last catalog.</p>

<p>GBA 145 is part of a set of courses across UA departments that fit into the “Freshmen Experience.” While it may not be technically required, these classes may be strongly “desired” in the colleges like Culverhouse where they are offered. See the information at the following link: [Student</a> Affairs | First Year Experience](<a href=“http://fye.ua.edu/freshcourse.cfm]Student”>http://fye.ua.edu/freshcourse.cfm)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’d say for a student of tommy’s caliber/strength, there’s no need to take an orientation course like this.</p>

<p>We are in Tuscaloosa now for BB tomorrow-- not planning on taking GBA145 unless they force us – it looks like a suitable substitute for Honors Students would be UH120 First Year Honors Experience.</p>

<p>One of the things I like about UA is that apart from Bama Bound, it does not require freshmen to take any “get to know the school/college/honors college” courses. GBA 145 is definitely not required and I wouldn’t recommend that honors students take it unless they really have no idea what type of business they want to major in. You can learn a lot of what is taught in GBA 145, such as learning how to meet with an advisor, simply by reading some of the many reminder emails that the business school sends out.</p>

<p>Okay, that’s what I thought. It sounded an awful lot like they were trying to force us to take it. Gonna go drop it right now, haha, thanks yall.</p>

<p>Just returned from Bama bound and this was the worst part. They completely forced us to sign up for this class even though I doubt any of the honors kids really need it. Going to drop it…</p>

<p>Tommy, you are absolutely right - I was in the parents’ group at the business school advising meeting, and they came right out and said GBA 145 was a required course. I knew it was not (even the check sheets say “highly recommended” rather than “required”) and I told my D that she could decide whether to take it or not, although the advisor made her put it on her sheet. She’s opting to take it - she figures it will be an easy course, it’s only one credit, it’s offered at a convenient time that fits well into her schedule, she wants to learn about other majors in the business school because she’s not 100% set on economics, and she figures it’ll force her to do some things she easily could, but might otherwise fail to, do on her own. I’m sure she’ll be fine with it or without it. However, I did find it annoying that the advisors said it was required when it really is not. They could have just said it was highly recommended, the same way they said a foreign language was not required but was highly recommended.</p>

<p>GBA 145 is not required. Accurate, truthful advising is. </p>

<p>If you’d like to give feedback to 'Bama Bound on this matter (highly recommended, not required :slight_smile: ), here’s the contact link: [Contact</a> - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/contact/]Contact”>Contact – Orientation | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>I wonder if some professors or administrators decided that enrollment in GBA 145 needed to increase and thus instructed advisors to say that the course was mandatory. If you feel strongly about this issue, the advisors’ boss is Dr. David Heggem (<a href=“mailto:dheggem@cba.ua.edu”>dheggem@cba.ua.edu</a>) and his boss is [Dean] Dr. Michael Hardin (<a href=“mailto:mhardin@cba.ua.edu”>mhardin@cba.ua.edu</a>). </p>

<p>If you student wants to take an introductory course, I’d suggest some of the UH 120 courses as they count towards the required 6 UH seminar credits. One can take multiple UH 120 courses in the same semester.</p>

<p>There may have been a mention at Bama Bound, but there will be a non-credited “get to know UA” program for OOS students in small groups that will be led by students from their home states.</p>

<p>I can report that again today, Business College Advisors said point blank that GBA 145 was required and forced each student to write it down on their planning sheet to be used when they register tomorrow.</p>

<p>This was during the College/School break out session – and a student raised hand and asked specifically if he was saying it was mandatory.</p>

<p>I think to keep from causing any issues my D will just go ahead and register tomorrow; The play had been to register for UH 120 First Years Honors Experience.</p>

<p>RTR!!!</p>

<p>I registered for UH 120 Honors First Year as well as GBA 145. As soon as the hold is lifted I’m going to drop GBA 145. I have no idea how I arrived at 18 hours but it looks awfully easy for 18 hours…</p>

<p>One more question: is it possible to walk from Bidgood to BB Comer in 15 minutes?</p>

<p>lol you could crawl from Bidgood to BB Comer in 15 minutes and still have time to take a nap.</p>

<p>BB Comer is the building just south of the Student Services bldg which is across from the Ferg. Bidgood is located on the northwest side of the Quad. It’s a 2 min walk at most.</p>

<p>haha i just looked on google maps and realized how close it is. it wants me to walk around 12 minutes but i’m guessing you can just cut through past Gorgas and be there in 5.</p>

<p>off to BB next week and saw this thread about GB 145-my son will be in lower division business but not sure which business to major in… Not in Honors just a very average B student - can someone give me the link to classes and teachers/times?</p>

<p>I’m not sure if you’re looking for links to GBA 145 or all classes. If you go to MyBama, the first link in the middle column under the Home tab is “Look Up Classes.” Click on that, choose Fall 2013 and you’ll be able to find all the classes, profs, times, etc.</p>

<p>I got out of registering at Bama Bound. Degreeworks had me classified as a Sophomore because I have more than 30 AP/duel credit credit hours. Since the class was only open to freshman I got an error and couldn’t sign up for the class. When having my schedule double checked, the woman over seeing the lab asked why I hadn’t registered for it, I explained and she let it slide. I think I was one of the only ones in the room that didn’t sign up for it.</p>