Geneseo 06 Grad

<p>I'm an '06 graduate of Geneseo and loved it. I know that choosing a college can be really hard, so I'd be glad to answer any questions you have! The school definitely has it's pros and cons, but I am really glad I went there and feel like I got a great education. I had a lot of opportunities I would not have had at a larger university. Anyway, feel free to ask whatever you want!</p>

<p>Did you work or did you go to graduate school after graduation?</p>

<p>How would you describe the student body?</p>

<p>How are the anthropology and sociology departments there?</p>

<p>Would an asian from a working class background fit in?</p>

<p>I got a job the summer after my graduation. I didn't apply to graduate schools my senior year, but I am planning on going in the near future.</p>

<p>I don't know how I would describe a "typical" Geneseo student... in general, the student body is mostly from New York State and working/middle class. There are of course, out of state students, a significant international student population, and people from all over the socioeconomic spectrum. </p>

<p>I don't know much about the anthro department, but my friends who were anthro majors/minors loved it. I took a few sociology classes, and generally found the professors to be intelligent and approachable. I'm not particularly interested in sociology, so the classes weren't that interesting to me, but I think that I learned a lot. </p>

<p>There are a large number of asian students on campus, so you would probably fit in well. Additionally, many of the most active student groups are Asian culture groups like KASA (korean american student association) and JCC (Japanese Culture Club) to name a few.</p>

<p>Great info! I'm a highschool senior recently admitted to the honors college at Geneseo (possible bio/psychology/polit. sci. major), and I would like to know what kind of graduate schools are looking at Geneseo grads. From what my research shows, Geneseo grads seem to be a lot more limited to graduate schools in NY and often Pennsylvania--usually due to name recognition, or SUNY schools respecting eachother. A place like Stanford Law, however, would tend not to see Geneseo in very high regard. Do you find this to be true?
If you happen to know anybody in the honors college, could you possibly offer any insight into graduate school options offered to them? From what I can gather, it seem that Honors at Geneseo is treated similarly to honors classses in high school--graduate schools respect them, but they won't "jump out" on your resume--with the real advantage being that Honors kids can work closely with professors. Do you find this to be true at all?
I was also accepted to Bucknell University, and I'm trying to decide which institution would give the biggest advantage for grad school (obviously Bucknell costs MUCH more, but I can afford to pay for undergrad there with some financial aid, and I am quite willing to work and take loans for grad school). Based on reports from both schools, Bucknell grads seem to be attending much more prestigious institutions, while Geneseo grads seem to be staying around the NY/PA area with many SUNY schools.</p>

<p>I don't know much about Geneseo graduate options, but the school's reputation in the NY area is solid. What's wrong with schools in the NY / PA area? You have Cornell, Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Yale, UPenn, U of R, etc.</p>

<p>i got into the 3+4 d.o program. I have to major in biology and maintain a 3.5 gpa. Im not too enthusiastic about majoring in biology but i will do it if i am not wasting my time, like working to keep a hard gpa. How hard is it to maintain a 3.5? I have no idea how the college grading system works, but if its like high school it should be pretty easy.</p>