George Washington Regular Decision 2026

My daughter admitted, 1430 SAT, 4.0 GPA, solid ECs w/leadership/fellowship focused in 2-3 areas, top 5% of her class. Received IB Scholarship $22K per year.

1 Like

We are waiting to see the financial offer before deciding on Spring start. She did reply yes to the interest in the Spring option and now we will see when the letter arrives. She did get into American for regular Fall admission.

2 Likes

I contacted the school and they said it will likely be “double” the “usual” 100 students who start in the spring and they will have their own orientation

We are considering many options while they wait until spring.
Internship, volunteer, little travel. Not ideal, Does not seem like a big deal to start Jan. 5th, 2023 instead of Aug. 29, 2022. I was told by admissions office there will be double the usual size (so ~200 students) and they get their own orientation

My daughter, majoring in public policy, has been admitted to George Washington and George Mason. Mason is offering honors, freshman study abroad Spring semester, and a nice scholarship. Washington is downtown, higher rated, but no honors or freshman study abroad, but also a nice scholarship. Would you pick Washington over Mason? We are OOS and would love some local feedback on reputation and opportunity based on the schools. We have visited both and both campus styles equally appeal to our daughter.

Congrats on the acceptances.
IMHO, the comparison is apples are oranges. One is public the other is private. Ranking is also meaningfully different so is the cost of education, along with the prestige and alumni network.
George Mason undergrad is also meaningfully bigger. Not to mention campus politics. GW is middle to slightly left leaning while GM is very conservative.

3 Likes

Is anyone here going to admitted students day on April 15? I am worried there won’t be a lot of kids because of Good Friday/Easter/Passover. We celebrate Passover, but can make it, but I want it to be a well attended weekend. She doesn’t have school that day so it’s a good day for us. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words and reply! Great information!

Ps. We got her gweb portal set up and it didn’t list her merit offer. They said I had to fill out a CSS for merit to show. Never heard of this. Called twice and also spoke to IT.

The CSS profile is another hoop that some schools require in addition to the FAFSA (3 of the schools my daughter applied to required the CSS profile). GWU is one of those schools. In fact, it is a bit more detailed, and the process requires you to submit more financial disclosures than the FAFSA. You should have received notifications from GWU (or your daughter should have received them). You can’t refer back to the FAFSA at all. You need your tax returns, W2s, bank statements, and other stuff. The deadline for submission of all those documents was earlier this year (I want to say it was February).

**Here’s what’s on GW’s site:**Application Process | Office of Student Financial Assistance | Enrollment and the Student Experience | The George Washington University

Students seeking financial assistance at GW must first complete an online financial aid application. There are two online applications that are utilized by GW, the CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Both applications are available beginning October 1 for the following academic year. The CSS Profile is required for new undergraduates and all international students seeking institutional financial assistance at GW. The FAFSA is required for new undergraduate, continuing undergraduates, and graduate students seeking federal financial assistance. Once a student has completed their online application(s), the data is transferred electronically to schools, based on the school code(s) included on the application. Student’s planning on applying for financial assistance at GW should follow the steps outlined on How To Apply.

After we have received and uploaded a student’s application, we begin the process of reviewing and determining their financial aid eligibility. At this point we may request additional documentation to complete the application process.

Here’s an article that explains it:

And here’s the link to CSS:

Getting Started – CSS Profile | College Board.

GW’s IT department, in all likelihood, can’t help you. I would immediate call financial aid.

Good luck!

I spoke with FA, they said just fill out the CSS as soon as possible, which I did and uploaded my tax return, etc

But merit is not need based, so I don’t see why it’s necessary. No other college asked for it, if we weren’t asking for non-merit aid.

Yeah, that’s interesting. Don’t know. But hopefully it will all work out for your daughter.

Sorry for assuming you didn’t know about this stuff (with all my explanations and links
)

Thank you! I’m thinking “are they going to take away her merit offer because I had no CSS?” But they assured me that as long as I submitted it ASAP the merit will show up soon. Shrug!

@UniversityMomma , I hear your concerns - I’m hoping it will be just like any other day because it happens to be the best day for us as well. We will be flying in from California to attend.

2 Likes

I hope it shows up for you soon. And congratulations!

We are going the 15th — similarly my son has off so works best for us too + we are coming from CO so Friday is best option for a multi-day trip. Hopefully that is true for many others and it will be a robust day!

2 Likes

Did anyone else see that you have to have a booster in order to attend the admitted student day?

1 Like

Yes. There is a form you can sign in the gw website for religious /medical exemption (it’s literally check a box) and then you have to have a negative PcR or antigen test negative within 24 hours

We are going on the 15th as well.

2 Likes

We also never did the CSS as we didn’t need aid. But daughter’s acceptance letter clearly offered merit. Nobody has said anything to us about filling out the CSS. I haven’t looked in her portal though
I don’t know why they’d care if the CSS was on file when it has nothing to do with merit and they already offered the merit.