George Washington University Transfer

how many transfers got in last year? this whole situation is pretty strange…

Has anyone already got into Elliott?

As someone who is also using VA benefits this is nerve wracking. I feel pathetic complaining so much but it’s seriously stressful.

@Sadboi99 Yeah, I was accepted in May with about ~40-50 others - it was strictly CAS/Business from what I observed. I ended up committing elsewhere but really like the people here that have applied to GW and want to see them through and help in any way I can.

Apparently, last year GWU accepted ~270/300 transfer students, and will only be accepting 150 this year. About 40 people attended the accepted students day two days ago? So still plenty of decisions to be released.

They wouldn’t even give a possible timeframe when I called today. Just that they’re swamped and working hard. There’s no way to know how long they’re going to take.

@NYCGOx They’re on orders from Head of Admissions not to say anything. That’s per the officer I spoke to a few days ago. The one I spoke to on Monday said friday at the latest, the next day the other I spoke to was hesitant to say Friday but did say maybe but maybe later. The responses are definitely scripted.

Part of me also believes they did this on purpose and pushed it back later compared to other schools. This way it forces students to pick other schools and drives down the amount of transfer students who are sticking by GWU. It’s either that or having to place deposits with another school.

If decisions are released in July I’m gonna go crazy.

Well, I’ve gotten nothing today. Seems like July it is.

@dcstorm97 Have you checked your GW Finaid website? Have you noticed any changes to the My Eligibility?

Hello, everyone! I’ve been following this discussion for a while, and I thought that I’d provide you with my unsolicited perspective with the hope that it may be helpful to you. I received admission to GWU’s Elliot School of International Affairs, as a transfer student, on Thursday, May 31, 2018, and that decision was delivered via email. First and foremost, I would encourage everyone to discard their assumptions. GWU’s website states that the fall admission decision process for transfer students begins in June and goes through July, and I empathize with everyone who is frustrated with that policy because it limits the ability to effectively plan. Unfortunately, from the perspectives of students, universities, particularly private ones, are empowered to make those decisions. For anyone who is still waiting on a decision, I urge you to wait as long as you feasibly can, even if that means waiting until the absolute deadlines of your second choice school. Finally, it may benefit some of you to know that – according to my portal – I had until July 2nd to decline or accept my offer. I have my own opinion regarding the meaning of that deadline and the fact that people haven’t received decisions, but I’ll let you interpret that in whatever manner you choose. I sincerely hope that each of you who is concerned is relieved when you receive positive news via email. If the worst-case scenario should occur, however, and anyone of you receives a rejection notice, I truly hope that you discover your second choice university is a better match than you previously anticipated.

@niiniin I’m using the GI Bill so I don’t see financial aid.

@Yellowstone307 All of your points would be acceptable if they were entirely transparent throughout the whole procedure. In addition, changing timelines five times, I am finding the empathy train a little shorter for them. Pointing out June/July on their website is a moot point because as first, they are not assumptions because the admissions officers have repeatedly changed one timeline, to another, then apologized for taking longer. I’ve said it previously, but I’m fine with universities being busy and taking longer - but the schools that have done so have been transparent in doing so.

Being accepted May 31st is certainly a good thing, but many of us here who were not as fortunate have been hearing numerous different things from the horses mouth that has colored our perception of the school. I understand where you’re coming from, but a lot of us here have a different perspective from the accepted transfers last month.

@dcstorm97 There’s no link to your FA page under your application on the portal at all? Huh, I didn’t know you couldn’t access your FA page even if you aren’t using it.

What does yours say?

Hi I’m glad that you’ve already recieved your decision! We are upset ab getting different bs responses to our questions daily :frowning:
“Our freshman yield was higher than anticipated” okay well that doesn’t negate the fact that you still have to do your job and communicate w your applicants efficiently. I won’t speak for anyone else but every email I’ve recieved has proven to be false hope (ex. The email I recieved last week stated: “we STRONGLY suggest that you continue checking the application portal for your decision”) or just complete fluff that helps no one navigate the decisions release procedure. The claim of rolling admissions is clearly false. Hearing that there was already a reception for admitted transfers is simply heartbreaking.

@Sadboi99 If you go to your FA page on GWeb and then click on Financial Aid Menu, then click on My Eligibility and change the year to 2018/2019, then click on Academic Progress, mine says “New Student Fall 2018.” It’s been like that for awhile and the only other person who said theirs said that is msport and no one else responded when I asked if theirs is like that. Is yours?

mine says Needs Review - Not Evaluated Fall 2018… hopefully this not mean the outcome of the application.

Yes! Mine says “New Student Fall 2018!!” I think this is good news.

do you guys have all the requirements of FA completed or reviewed?

Where did you find the “new student fall 2018”? on Gweb or the undergrad portal that shows you submitted your application? @Sadboi99

@kabs11 It’s in your GWeb under My Eligibility. I’m not sure if it’s a sign or not. Mine has been like that for awhile.