George Washington University Fall 2019 transfers

Hey!

Since no one has started a fall 2019 transfers I thought I would start one.
My stats: GPA from my main comm. college is a 4.0 and I got a B in one class that I took at another college so my overall GPA is 3.9 and my major is political science. I am apart of PTK and have volunteered in an international human rights organization throughout high school and a few times during my first year at my cc.
By the time I transfer I will have 60 units. How do my stats look like?

Your GPA is excellent…you should be fine. Just make sure that you take the application process seriously and take time to write essays that provide clear rationales for why you want to transfer to George Washington. What school are you trying to transfer into at George Washington? You haven’t provided any information as to what school you’re trying to matriculate into at George Washington (i.e Elliot School of International Affairs, School of Business, School of Engineering).

I am trying to transfer into the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences. I am have been wanting to go to GW since I was in high school so I am forsure taking the essays and application seriously!

Does anyone know the word limit for the essay question?

Hey

I’m trying to transfer into the Elliot school of International Affairs at George Washington university in the Fall of 2019. Any suggestions about the program. How competitive it is to get accepted. And also ideas about what to include in the common app essay that will stand out.

250 words

Does anyone know when GW lets people applying for the Spring semester know of their decision?

@Zeezee001 Based on past GW threads the Elliot school of International affairs is one of the competitive schools at GW but I think if you got good stats your chances should be good.

I think you have to call them for that @ahill26

how good is the financial aid packet? I heard from some that it was good but I heard some transfers saying they didn’t get much.

anyone who knows don’t hesitate to respond!

@ahill26 I believe GW started rolling out decision letters(for spring) today. I just got mine in a few hours ago.

I’m currently a freshman commuting to a four year University. I think I should have a gpa above 3.5 but I’ll see next week. My high school gpa was a 4.0 (96) weighted. I’m applying for Political Science and I want to double major in Geography. Very nervous but also looking at the common data set about half of transfer applicants get in compared to 30% of first years so we’ll have to see

I’m currently a freshman attending Penn State at the University Park campus and hoping to transfer to GW for the Fall 2019 semester. GW has been my dream school forever, but unfortunately I was denied my freshman year. I realized my faults in my application, and am hoping this time around I will be accepted as a Psychology major. I have a 3.63 GPA currently for my fall semester with all A’s except for one C in chemistry, which is a notoriously hard course at UP. I had a 4.0 (96) weighted GPA in high school. I secured a Teaching Assistant position for next semester for a Psychology 100 course, got on the Dean’s List for the fall semester, I’m a member of a sustainability club, a health and wellness club, and a community service sorority. I’m extremely nervous but also extremely hopeful; there’s no place I’d rather be than Foggy Bottom.

If anyone could let me know how my chances look that would be great. Also, on the Common App in the Documents section there is an option for a ‘Personal Statement,’ is that where we respond to the prompt as to why we want to transfer?

Thank you.

I am currently a Freshman at a small state school commuting. Here’s some stats now that my first semester is over:

High School:
96 GPA Weighted
NHS and Tri-M
Drama Club (4 Years)
Concert/Marching Band (4 Years, Drum Major)
Jazz Band (3 Years)
Debate (1 Year)

My ECs are few but the ones I had I was committed too. As I realized my academic interests my course selection got less intense since I only wanted to focus on the advanced courses which could keep me focused shooting myself in the foot a bit. I applied to a small range of schools with only a couple I had an interest in so I decided to commute to my local 4-year university this year to give myself time to adjust/think about what I want.

College:
4.0 GPA
Cashier at Grocery Store (2 Years and current)
Internship with State Representative (Half a year and current)
Wind Symphony (I received credit for it this past semester but I can’t due to a schedule conflict next but I’ll still be performing)
Did a Musical at a local theatre
Circle K
Honors Advisory Council

I recently developed an interest in Geography/Environmental Studies while at my current school but my major is political science. I want to double major or minor in these two areas and go on to either do lobbying, activism or law school concerning environmental regulations or city planning. I was wondering, should I apply for poli sci since it is so popular or would I have an easier time applying for Geography or Environmental Studies?

Good Luck to everyone else in this thread!

@gwhopeful19 since it gives you the option you can talk about yourself and why you want to transfer but its not required.

@Dogsshouldvote you might have an easier time applying as Geography major but I honestly think that should choose the major that you want to end up with don’t change your major for the sake of getting in. Good luck to you as well!:slight_smile:

Hi all! I am currently a freshman at a large public university, hoping to transfer into GW CAS for the fall of 2019 as a philosophy major.

white/female/US

STATS

HIGH SCHOOL: large public high school (#1 in the state), class of over 600, top 15%
GPA: unweighted 3.967; weighted 4.02
ACT: 32 (36 English, 35 Reading, 27 Math (ouch), 31 Science) superscore is 33
AP’s: APUSH and APworld (A’s in both, passed Ap tests)
completed 12 credit hours of dual-credit enrollment at local university during senior year (4.0)
EC’s
2 years of varsity sport
founder of nonprofit that donated prom dresses to underprivileged girls at my high school
organizer (3 years) of my high school’s large philanthropy event ($2mil raised over 3 years)
60 + volunteer hours with 2 organizations for women with special needs
worked as a sales associate at Kendra Scott
worked as an assistant teacher at a local Montessori daycare
volunteered with CMNH
National Honor Society
Yoga club officer/treasurer
practiced/performed Italian opera
AWARDS
Academic Bar Award
Academic Letter of Excellence
Varsity Athletic Letter of Excellence
Salutatorian of Class of 2018

COLLEGE: Oklahoma State University FRESHMAN, Political Science major; Philosophy minor (honors college)
GPA: 4.0 (President’s Honor Roll)
HOURS: completed 27, enrolled in 12 currently (one upper-division)
EC’s
Internship with national nonprofit for women with special needs– based in NYC (Director of Content Writing)- honors hours
Research Assistant for Poli Sci department chair- honors hours
President of the Freshman Student Council of the College of Arts & Sciences
Active Member of Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority
volunteer for CASA (15 hours/semester)
Freshman Follies (huge musical/philanthropy event, 30 hours/week for 8 weeks)
AWARDS
Regent’s Distinguished Scholar (2nd best merit scholarship)
Freshman Research Scholar (OSU’s freshman research is HARD to get into)

My best letter of ref is coming from a professor last semester that basically encouraged me to transfer, and I know it will be a strong letter. The second is from another professor, but won’t be as strong. My essays are very well-written and clearly convey my reasons for transferring.

What are my chances? Columbia is my #1, but GW is what I (hope) plan on being my safety.

Here are the other schools I am applying to (in no order):
Barnard
NYU
Brown
Yale
Georgetown
Columbia American University
Penn

@ Taylor your stats look amazing! Good luck!

Hi everyone! I’m a potential transfer from a liberal arts school in New England. Lower gpa (3.5) due to significant illness but have bounced back since then, so we’ll see :slight_smile: