Georgetown Class of 2027 Official Thread

Question about NetID- are any useful emails being sent using the new email students are supposed to set up? I haven’t seen any virtual sessions in regular email so I’m wondering if Georgetown is using that NetID email for communication that our child isn’t telling us about.

My son is sophomore in SFS and he hasn’t experienced any competitive club culture to date and holds board positions in 2 even as an underclassman. He participates in several that he simply signed up for at table during CAB fair or learned about from a friend and then attended their meetings. Kids can even submit application to start a new club. Some clubs may drop you from their email list if you don’t attend any meetings or activities but that’s just based on the assumption you are no longer interested. My understanding is most of those that require applications are pre-professional org’s (mostly MSB related, i.e. consulting, I-banking, investing) or the student-run org’s that are really operating businesses on-campus (e,g, The Corp or the Credit Union).

2 Likes

Did anyone go to the admitted student event last week? Did they do a good job? DC choosing among several schools and I’m secretly pulling for Georgetown. We are visiting next week.

1 Like

They did a nice job. Be sure to stay to the end for the dorm tour

Thanks - can you say why the dorm tour? (we do plan to stay but curious about why you mention that specifically)

1 Like

The dorms are probably the worst part of Georgetown so it’s worth seeing them for yourself. There are definitely more salubrious options elsewhere, but they’re also not as bad as many people make out.

My D22 is just finishing up the 1st year at Georgetown, and she’s loving it everyday.
Her room is nice and big enough, however, the communal bathroom is not so nice and the foods are not good.
For the sophomore year, she’s assigned to the room with a private bathroom, so hoping it will be better.
Also, I think they have an option to move out from Junior year, and she will get an apartment with friends.

Yes the food is terrible. My D usually makes her own food in the little kitchen.

1 Like

They did a great job! Hope your enjoying GAAP this weekend.

We saw the dorms last weekend at GAAP - I think going on the tour is good in terms of setting expectations. The community building they have in the dorms is strong, security was good.

1 Like

Does anyone know if we can request a deferral after accepting an offer? Say like in July? My kid is thinking of taking a GAP year but hasn’t made up her mind yet.

Does your child play golf?
My son’s email was about golf that he doesn’t play , and nothing about violin which is his passion!!

Does anyone know much about the pre-orientation opportunities? Do many kids do these? Are these highly competitive? (there don’t seem to be many compared to the number of freshmen/transfer starts) Are you able to rank multiple preferences? Anyone have one they highly recommend (or would warn against)?