GPA Below 3.0 With Scholarship

<p>High schools and colleges with numerical grades enclose conversion charts when sending transcripts so other high schools and colleges can convert the numerical grades to letter grades.</p>

<p>Professors reserve the right to set different grading scales and/or curve tests.</p>

<p>Ok, does anyone know what the grade ranges are though? Is 90-100 an A, or is it 93-100? Or are professors really given that much latitude that a grade in the 70’s could conceivably be an A? I understand curving and that professors can adjust at will to the bell curve, I’m just wondering for the majority of classes what number ranges generally match to what letter grades. Thx!</p>

<p>Ok, does anyone know what the grade ranges are though? Is 90-100 an A, or is it 93-100? Or are professors really given that much latitude that a grade in the 70’s could conceivably be an A?</p>

<p>Yes…profs are given that much latitude. And, not just at Bama. At older son’s grad school, the profs told the students that 70% and above is an A. wow. </p>

<p>When I was in Calif, I spoke with a friend of mine and her son is at Yale. His profs told the kids that 85% of the class would get A’s. So, profs can grade/curve however they choose. </p>

<p>There’s no reason for a college to set any range since that would remove the prof’s ability to curve a test.</p>

<p>for the majority of classes what number ranges generally match to what letter grades</p>

<p>So, there aren’t any.</p>

<p>Colleges would certainly realize that trying to set any such rules would certainly get over-ruled by things like “extra credit” or other methods profs could employ to push more kids into the 90% mark (if that’s where a school set the A benchmark to be)…</p>

<p>"a friend of mine and her son is at Yale. His profs told the kids that 85% of the class would get A’s. So, profs can grade/curve however they choose. "</p>

<p>Same with Harvard, we have 2 friends there, both were told that 85% of the students would graduate with straight A’s. Helps their grad/med/law school admittance, and sheeeeesh, you should get something for your $50 grand a year;)</p>

<p>Harvard grade inflation is notorious. It has gotten out of hand.</p>

<p>Personally, I am glad UA profs are stricter. All of DS’s classes are very challenging, including the non-Honors ones. So much for the myth that UA is an “easy” school!</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I know I keep hearing that.</p>

<p>But, on the other hand…When I go to the pre-med forum I keep reading posts from kids at ivies that aren’t doing that well in the pre-med pre-reqs. </p>

<p>So, I can only guess that those particular classes (Bio, Gen Chem, OChem) are still harshly graded and have limited number of A’s.</p>

<p>It’s funny that I read about smart kids feeling they might not be challenged at Bama. My “smart kid” freshman is surprised at the difficulty & is definitely being challenged. My older 2(from the same private school as S) felt their first semesters at Cornell were easier than hs. I’m not hearing that Bama is easy.</p>

<p>My “smart kid” freshman is surprised at the difficulty & is definitely being challenged. My older 2(from the same private school as S) felt their first semesters at Cornell were easier than hs. I’m not hearing that Bama is easy.</p>

<p>Bama isn’t easy…at least not for those who are in challenging majors. Can’t say how it is for the easier majors. When I saw that silly ranking (based on some student non-scientific answers) that Bama students “study the least,” those students clearly are in some light majors. </p>

<p>I know that my kids (math and ChemE) had to work hard for their grades. My ChemE son was studying and doing homework during his entire Fall Break last weekend…he even took a textbook with him when we went out for a family dinner on Friday night!</p>