GPA Below 3.0 With Scholarship

<p>I’ve looked through old threads that talk about what happens regarding scholarships if a GPA goes below a 3.0 while at Alabama, but I’m looking for some confirmation, as I’ve read different things. Everyone seems to agree that you are placed on academic probation for the following semester, and as long as your cumulative GPA is over a 3.0 after that semester, you are returned to good standing? I’ve also read that grades aren’t checked until spring of freshman year though – does anyone know if this is true (i.e. they don’t check grades for scholarship after first semester)?</p>

<p>I did an awful job picking classes, ended up in two that I’m doing pretty well in and two that I’m doing terribly in. I have no doubt my GPA will be easily above a 3.5 next semester, now that I’ve gotten a feel for things and I know how to mix easy and difficult classes each semester…but my GPA for this semester could be around a 2.8 or 2.9, so I’m wondering what exactly would happen if that is the case.</p>

<p>Regina: 2 things. First, check with your professor(s) and see if you’re really doing as badly as you think you are. Some classes (especially STEM) are on a curve. Second: how many credits are you taking this semester? And how many AP credits did you come in with? You can still drop a class with a W until November 2nd, I believe, so if one class in particular is dragging you down you could still drop it.</p>

<p>Your scholarship will get reviewed at the end of spring semester. Make sure you carefully pick next spring’s classes…which means that any 4 credit classes that you get a C in this semester, will have to be balanced with 4 credits with an A (not an A-). </p>

<p>How many credits are you taking this semester? (did you do AA or OA)? </p>

<p>give us the breakdown of what grades you’re expecting and how many credits each class has…this will make a difference for balancing any lower grades. Keep in mind that “minuses” can hurt your GPA…an A- is like a 3.6 or 3.7.</p>

<p>Even if you need to “game the system” and take more easier classes next semester, do so. You can always take a harder class in the summer at a CC to keep on schedule.</p>

<p>Yes, you can still drop a class if needed. But you may need to stay at least 12 credits (including AA or OA).</p>

<p>Can you bring your grades up by the end of the semester, e.g., via extra credit? My son was told (by his Classics prof) that mid-term grades are more a heads-up or wake-up call than anything else – and that final grades are usually higher.</p>

<p>I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that your professors and the University will really work with you on this! I think you’ll be fine. Not to worry!!</p>

<p>DD was in the same boat last year! Although we didn’t take any scholarship monies (so don’t have that knowledge)…between a science/math heavy pre-med schedule and pledging she was buried! We made the best of the situation and she had a fabulous second semester pulling a 4.0! So don’t worry…do your best…communicate with your professors (DD did with her Calc prof…helped ALOT!!!). Did I remember you saying you pledged (old timers disease) if so you might ask your sisiters for help/tutoring. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I’m down to 14 credits now, so I can’t drop anything – I dropped one class during the first week and dropped a one-credit seminar a few weeks ago.</p>

<p>My midterm grades were:
ENG 210: B
FR 201: A-
EC 110: B-
GY 102: Not posted but it’s most likely a C
(AA was the last credit)</p>

<p>My English grade will definitely go up to a B+ if not an A-, but my Econ grade has been dropping as the material gets more difficult, so I have no doubt it will be much lower by the end of the semester. (Needless to say, I am no longer an Econ major – I am officially undecided.)</p>

<p>As I said, I’m not too worried for next semester – don’t think any of my classes will be particularly difficult.</p>

<p>ENG 205 (my best subject, easy prof)
FR 202 (same prof I have this semester)
ARH (fulfills FA, I’ve talked to MANY people and everyone says it’s an easy A+)
MATH 115 (same class I took senior year of high school)
Honors Mentoring (I assume a class like this is an A as long as you show up and do the work)</p>

<p>Thanks for the input everyone. As long as grades aren’t reviewed until after spring semester, I’m sure I’ll be fine. I just went into this year a little too confident, a mistake I will not make again!</p>

<p>^ DS did the same thing!! He was downright cocky in his Greek Mythology class, because he figured he “already knew that stuff.” (He’d been reading mythology for eons, and he’d pre-read the textbook over the summer.)</p>

<p>Fortunately all his profs offer extra credit. Is that an option for you?</p>

<p>Darn that +/- system. It is truly a double-edged sword.</p>

<p>I would make sure that you start seeing your professors during their office hours for help - even if you have to ask them questions you are know the answers too. That will show them you care. Finally, if you really feel you can’t bring those grades up it never hurts to explain to them your situation. They may be willing to change those minuses to regulars which will significantly help you.</p>

<p>What’s the deal with the +/- system? Is it something different than what we have in the high schools?</p>

<p>*DS did the same thing!! He was downright cocky in his Greek Mythology class, because he figured he “already knew that stuff.” *</p>

<p>Oh man…I’ve heard that Greek Mythology class is very challenging. Son’s friend (not as strong a student as your son) took it as a frosh and got a D. He wasn’t ready at all for this class. </p>

<p>*What’s the deal with the +/- system? Is it something different than what we have in the high schools? *</p>

<p>Bama uses a +/- system that is very common in colleges . Actually, Bama’s is more generous because it gives bonus pts for A+, which many colleges do NOT. Many will only give bonus for a B+ or C+…but nothing more for an A+.</p>

<p>Grade Value
A+ 4.33
A 4
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
and so forth</p>

<p>When my SIL first visited Bama with her son, she complained about the grading system, only to learn that the other colleges that her son applied to had either a similar grading system or worse. lol College ain’t high school. ;)</p>

<p>**FYI…the AMCAS system<a href=“the%20clearinghouse%20that%20the%20med%20schools%20use%20for%20applicants”>/B</a> will not give you added weight for an A+…it will only count as an A. And, I think an A- is counted as 3.66. So with one A-, you won’t be considered a 4.0.</p>

<p>I’ve never understood the confusion over a +/- grading system. My high school did not weight GPAs and didn’t give out A+ grades (state law prohibits it) and all of the colleges I’ve attended use +/- grades, sometimes at the instructor’s discretion.</p>

<p>It is also worth noting that many schools consider an A- to be a 3.7 and a B+ to be a 3.4, whereas UA considers them to be a 3.66 and 3.33, respectively.</p>

<p>just an fyi… uab does not use the +/- grading…straight,A=4.0 B=3.0 etc</p>

<p>The other school my son is considering does:
A = 4.0
AB = 3.5
B = 3.0
BC = 2.5
C = 2.0</p>

<p>and so forth. No pluses and minuses. I guess this is difficult for the kids to adjust to.</p>

<p>Regina, take the online version of ARH 252 or 253. A+ guaranteed unless you just don’t do the assignments or take the tests on time. Read the rate my prof reviews for Andrea Taylor.</p>

<p>NJ, that’s what I’m taking! :slight_smile: Thank you!</p>

<p>Any grading system is going to have some pros and cons. If you have +/-, then you’re not going to like getting a minus. However, you will like the bonus if you have a B+, because that’s better than just getting a straight “B”.</p>

<p>If you’re pre-med, then you will like having the bumps for pluses (for AMCAS), but you won’t like not getting the bump from an A+. </p>

<p>AMCAS grading system…this is the “clearinghouse” that med school applicants have to use when they apply to med school. AMCAS recalculates everyone’s grades using one grading scale. </p>

<p>Type: Five or more passing grades, alpha with +/-
A+ = 4.0
A = 4.0
A-= 3.7
B+= 3.3
B = 3.0
B-= 2.7
C+= 2.3
C= 2.0
C-= 1.7
D+= 1.3
D= 1.0
D-= 0.7
F = 0.0</p>

<p>Does anyone know what the numerical range is for each grade? I tried looking on the UA website but couldn’t find it. For example, what does a 95 or an 87 equal on the letter scale?</p>

<p>It is my understanding that every professor has the flexibility to make their own grading scale? Not sure if this is accurate. Some of my professors spelled out for us on the syllabus which number grades equal which letter grades, which was very helpful…some did not.</p>

<p>I think regina is right in that the prof has the flexibility to decide what numerical value gets what grade. But for the most part it seems the bottom 3 pts of each level gets the minus (ie 70 - 72 = C-) and the top 2 pts of each level gets the + (ie 78 - 79 = C+). Though some profs give the top 3 pts of each group the + (ie 77 - 79 = C+)</p>

<p>*Does anyone know what the numerical range is for each grade? I tried looking on the UA website but couldn’t find it. For example, what does a 95 or an 87 equal on the letter scale? *</p>

<p>I don’t think the school sets that. I think it’s up to each prof to set that. If a prof wants to curve grades, he can.</p>