Losing scholarship

<p>due to reasons in and out of class I might not be able to make a 3.0 this semester to keep my scholarship… i am not 100% sure but i think i am already on probation after last spring. is there anything I can do at this point other than hope for a 3.0? i will try to talk to some people at the school but i am assuming there are no exceptions made.</p>

<p>p.s. i have considered withdrawal but don’t know how this would impact my scholarship. if i withdraw for the semester, what happens to my housing this semester and next? (i am on housing scholarship as well)</p>

<p>and, is there any “leave of absence” type thing i can look into?</p>

<p>UA is fairly generous in that it has a probation in the first place (!). A lot of colleges cut off scholarships no matter what, with no warning whatsoever, the moment a student falls below their requirement. If you are already on scholarship probation, you should know that with certainty (you said you weren’t certain), and the school would already be talking with you. (If you were on probation and someone else handled your problem for you last semester (parent?) and took control and didn’t fully involve you in what it takes to get off probation, then you have a larger problem…)</p>

<p>I guess I would start by first approaching the University and showing initiative to solve this. Other CC’ers will chime in and give you advice, but without knowing specifics about your problem (is it just 1 class, many/all classes, other issues, your major, etc???), I don’t think we can give you specific advice. You are wise to reach out and try to solve your issues now, tho. There are many people who can help you. Take heart, and good luck!</p>

<p>We need to know more info to help you. What semester are you currently in? second semester freshman year? what was your GPA last semester? Why don’t you know if you are currently on probation? Did you look through your emails to see what was sent to you after last semester? What are the issues with your academics, do you find the classes too difficult? Is your major too difficult? Have you been studying, turning in work assignments, attending all classes, going to office hours, talking to your professors? Is it more than one class that you are having trouble in? Have you spoken to your advisor? Are you too involved in social activities or Greek Life?? Is there simply too much partying going on?</p>

<p>BUT Most importantly: How is your health? physical and mental? Are you eating, sleeping? Do you feel depressed?</p>

<p>Please give us some additional feedback so that we can help you.</p>

<p><<<<
am not 100% sure but i think i am already on probation after last spring.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>What is your OVERALL cumulative GPA? </p>

<p>Why do you think you were on probation after last spring? Even if your spring GPA was below 3.0, if your cumulative GPA was a 3.0, then I don’t think you’d be on probation.</p>

<p>Are you a junior? </p>

<p>Can you go into MyBama and pull up your unofficial transcript and see what your cum GPA is?</p>

<p>Edited to add…I see that you’re a junior. you may be fine since you have 4 semesters behind you. What is your cum GPA?</p>

<p>thanks for the replies</p>

<p>i am under probation as my cumulative GPA after last semester was below 3.0, i just needed to make sure. i found it mentioned in an email i got back from scholarships about studying abroad. i’d prefer not to divulge much, but i have been struggling a bit to focus on my school work since i’ve been here at bama, and i’ve also had spells of anxiety which has made me very distracted the past couple semesters. i have some missed assignments/projects this semester and it looks like it will be very hard for me to get the GPA necessary. the classes aren’t too difficult, it’s just that i fall behind and tend to not ask for help until it is too late.</p>

<p>i will reach out to the university to try to find a way to be able to keep my scholarship, i just don’t really know who to email or call. i feel withdrawing is an option, but i am not sure how that will impact my scholarship/housing situation. if anyone has information about that please let me know</p>

<p>Since we dont know many details about your situation, we don’t know if perhaps a medical type withdrawal is needed. I am going to defer to someone who hopefully knows much more than I do about retaining scholarships in this or any other situation. Perhaps there is a way to do a Medical Withdrawal for the semester. Can anyone help with information?</p>

<p>My First concern is for your welfare, it is wise not to give out too many details on a public forum but you do need to reach out to someone. Have you spoken to your parents? Keep an open line of communication with them. I am sure that they will want you to be mentally/physically healthy and therefore happy before all else.</p>

<p>If you have not sought out counseling at UA, I urge you to do do immediately. Speaking to someone who is a professional in these matters is very very important.</p>

<p>Here is the link to the web page:
<a href=“http://counseling.ua.edu/”>http://counseling.ua.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This is from their website:

COUNSELING
Support Groups
Counseling Resources
Counseling Services
The college years are an exciting and challenging time for students. On the one hand, it can be a time filled with new, diverse experiences, people and knowledge. On the other hand, it can involve changes that are stressful to many.</p>

<p>It is normal, even expected, that students will face stressful or problematic times or events while in college. When students make use of resources that are available to them, the potentially negative impact of these events can be minimized or sometimes even eliminated. Left unattended, however, these same events can result in the impairment of a student’s ability to function and do well in school.</p>

<p>We encourage University of Alabama students to make use of the Counseling Center’s services. An overwhelming majority of our clients say that we help them remain in school or help to improve their academic performance. Within ethical and legal guidelines, our services are confidential so students can be assured of privacy. The number of visits students receive varies, but we are able to provide up to 15 counseling sessions per academic year. Students whose needs fall outside the scope of our services are assisted with appropriate referrals to community resources. Types of counseling we offer include screening and evaluation, individual, couple and group counseling, crisis intervention, limited psychological assessments, and referral for medical and other services.</p>

<p>Staff members working in the Counseling Center are licensed and experienced mental health professionals from the disciplines of counseling, psychology, social work and psychiatry. Combined, our professionals represent over 150 years of clinical experience, and they have worked in hospitals, private practice, mental health agencies, substance abuse facilities, and other settings. Advanced graduate students from these same fields, under the supervision of licensed professionals, also provide some services in our center.</p>

<p>To talk with a counselor or set an appointment, please call 348-3863. You can also learn more about counseling from our FAQ page.</p>

<p>-As for who to contact about your academic problem, it sounds as if this is probably beyond your advisors level, although consulting them might still help.
-You probably need to go speak to one of the Deans. I was at a UA Reception recently where The Dean of Students spoke. He said that his office has an open door policy for students and is open to 8pm each evening and someone is also available after hours. This is his name:
Dr. Tim Hebson
Dean of Students
Ferguson, Room 230 B
(205)348 - 8237
<a href=“mailto:Thebson@sa.ua.edu”>Thebson@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>This is also from their Webpage:
The office of the Dean of Students provides a wide range of services and programs that enhance student development, and promote a healthy and supportive environment for students, parents, faculty and staff. Services and programs include: Campus Ministries, Graduate Student Services, Greek Affairs, Judicial Affairs, New Student Programs, Parent Programs, Undergraduate Parent Support, and the Women’s Resource Center. The On-Call Dean program is also sponsored by the Dean of Students office provides support to students and their families in times of trauma or distress.</p>

<p>***I am not sure that they are the right people for your academic issues but they should be able to point you in the right direction.</p>

<p>For academic issues you should probably speak with the Dean of your school.
However, I First urge you to get your parents help with this, they could help you navigate your problems and advocate for you.</p>

<p>Please speak with someone in person ASAP</p>

<p>Please remember that in life, no problem is too big that it can’t be solved. You might not like the solution, but there is a solution to every problem.
Good luck, Son/Daughter!</p>

<p>Sounds like you need to get yourself to the SHC to discuss your anxiety issues. Sometimes a mild tranquilizer or similar can work wonders. </p>

<p>^^^That is so true. What we think of in our youth as large problems diminishes with time and life experience.</p>

<p>Please keep reaching out to us here if you need, but also please go seek advise in person from your parents and others who can help.</p>

<p>Just keep us updated so we know you are okay. Thanks.</p>