GW Questions

How difficult is each school of GW? ex. Colombian compared to Elliott to Business etc.

Are students allowed to fill out financial aid information post application date? Can students wait until after acceptance into university to send in their fafsa information?

pretty sure Colombian is the easiest and elliot is the hardest and business is also hard.

what @astroworld11 said

Would you say what major you chose within the college has a significance? Some majors seem a lot less competitive than others.

It’s hard to give an accurate because even within each school there are subjectively easier majors. For example, within the Columbian College of Art and Science, you might find an economics degree much more difficult than an English degree. In the business school, most people consider the marketing major or international business to be the easiest majors and economics, accounting and finance to be the hardest. In my own experience, the hardest class I ever took at George Washington was econometrics which is an upper-division statistics course offered through the Columbian School. The upper-division political science classes I took were a lot easier than the upper-division business courses I took. Many of my classmates who are applying to law school majored in political science majors through Columbian. I remember, for example, I was working with two students who were political science majors on a group project who were both set on going to law school. I asked them “you guys haven’t taken a class in health care economics or upper-division finance?” They both just shook their heads and were like “No way I’m risking my gpa…” I also remember one girl in an upper-division legal writing course offered through Columbian had a really high gpa and majored in political science. She had like a 3.9 and scored under 160 on the LSAT but got into Georgetown Law.

@chancetherapper yes, the majors you choose will matter to an extent. Basically, the school tries to keep the number of students in each program within a certain range. I assume this is because one of the metrics for universities is the student to professor ratio in classes within the major. If you admit too many of a particular major you can throw-off your metrics.

With that said, I don’t know how much it really comes into play with most majors. I know that it matters for the more high-visibility or sought-after degrees, but for everything else, I doubt it matters. I wouldn’t even be surprised if your acceptance chances go up for desiring to major in a program that GW has problems filling seats.