U Tampa—Teekarex
U Virginia—Anxious4Results’ D
U VM—Teekarex
VILLANOVA - WashDCMom
Worcester State— mtlakes’ D, Collegetiger
Xavier— HighAltitude
FlowerMom—2+2 school</p>

<p>Anyone is accepted by UofPenn or UofMichigan, the top 2 direct programs?</p>

<p>@cakeisgreat My tour was great! The info session before it was excellently done. Got a nice feel for the campus, but didn’t learn much about the nursing program. Understandable though, because they can’t touch on EVERY program. Currently writing a letter of continued interest to my regional admissions officer! =(( Gotta get off that wait list! </p>

<p>@JH8888 I applied to UPenn Nursing but as a total reach. Won’t find out until March 27th </p>

<p>@FlowerMom–yes I’ve thought of that too. D found out at student for the day at Quinn that their science class (human anatomy? bio? I cant remember which one) is geared towards nurses specifically and people in those majors take a different HA/bio or whatever it was. That was a relief. I am concerned about the large freshman science classes at the state U’s. </p>

<p>Thought I would post a little nursing info from ‘the south’. I graduated BSN out of Milwaukee (Alverno). My DD1 is a sophomore nursing scholar at UAB (had to apply before Dec 1 of senior year - automatic admit to junior nursing classes if maintain min GPA). UAB begins 100 students in clinicals in the fall, 100 in the spring, 100 in the summer (they may have gone higher, I believe I heard 125, but just haven’t kept up). At UAB, nurses take different organic chem etc. than pre-med, pre-dentistry, but my ambitious DD still had ideas of medicine, so she took the higher level chemistry/biology through last semester. She finally realized she wants to go nurse practitioner and PhD (not sure if you are aware after 2015, new nurse practitioners will need to get PhD (going the same way as pharmacy, physical therapy, going to doctorate).</p>

<p>DD has been doing Air Force ROTC this year and accepted into summer ROTC training. If everything goes well, she will continue ROTC and they will pay retro for sophomore year, and pay for junior and senior years. DD wants to continue into nurse practitioner immediately, but she will have to see about Air Force concurring. Every graduate school year means 2 years of military duty. We have a niece that is a captain in base security and is doing well with the Air Force. I believe she can envision a military nursing career. We live in a heavily military area in N AL, so DD has gotten greater military exposure.</p>

<p>Another niece graduates from Winona State (MN) in May with Nursing. She has had her clinicals at Mayo/Rochester, and because she is employed by Mayo, she will get transitioned into a RN job (others are subject to a current hiring freeze).</p>

<p>One caveat in nursing school that has happened to a few students that I know at different schools - a wacko nursing instructor who did not follow the syllabus or textbook, and not passing the class meant a whole additional year of school due to pre-reqs. If nursing is from multiple campuses, sometimes a rogue instructor runs amuck under the radar. Often the student trudges through and thinks they will pull it out - where they should have alerted someone to intervene.</p>

<p>Make sure to alert your nursing students to always get intervention before the water is under the bridge.</p>

<p>The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) formulated (back in the 1990’s) and is promoting the perspective that to become eligible to take the various NP certification exams that a student must have a DNP degree beginning in 2015. However this perspective is not accepted by many in the Nursing Discipline and there remains a raging debate about this. The two NP national certification bodies have not announced that they will be changing to this requirement in 2015. In fact these two bodies have been recently revising their NP category requirements to reformulate them in line with the APRN Consensus Model which identifies education (including specific course requirements) and clinical hours necessary which must be met by APN’s in four categories (one being NP). For NP’s the minimum Degree in the APRN Consensus Model remains the MSN. So while the DNP may be required at some point in the future it is very unlikely that this will actually take effect in 2015 (if ever). </p>

<p>@Mwallenmd - that is good news. D wants to become an NP but I was wondering if when she got to the Masters program, would it become nil? I think that would be a bit discouraging after 6-7 years of school. It is confusing to me.</p>

<p>

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don’t think this will happen. With the current AF budget issues it is almost a guarantee that AFROTC is not going to reimburse your DD for her sophomore tuition. In addition, the vast majority of AFROTC cadets (including nursing majors) that do not have an AFROTC scholarship during their sophomore years will only see book reimbursement and monthly stipends during their last two years.</p>

<p>BTW- AFROTC has recently lowered their future projections for nurses. Currently it is about 80-90 that are selected for SFT, but starting next year the AFROTC Detachments have been advised that the number will be reduced to about 50. Congratulations to your DD on being selected this year. </p>

<p>Look at all these programs ! I can’t wait to see the final list later in March / April.
I have added in ; VCU Honors
Even though VCU is a 2+2 program, we got the " Guaranteed Admission " , this works like a direct admit/direct entry with GPA requirements & a few other things .</p>

<p>Belmont U—HighAltitude
Case Western Reserve— Jkm0478’s D, WashDCMom
Colby Sawyer—dessie411, tiggrsbride’s D
Creighton— HighAltitude
DeSales U—Cake’s D
Drexel— HighAltitude
Duquesne—fhgirl22, WashDCMom,
Endicott— Collegetiger
Fairfield—MomtoKTandJ
Fordam U (non-nursing)— kayyx3dee
Gonzaga— HighAltitude, trossi2121
Indiana U—Teekarex
Loyola MU—Himom’s relative
Massachusetts School of Pharmacy— tiggrsbride’s D
Marquette University---- WashDCMom
Marymount University (VA) — WashDCMom
Messiah U—Cake’s D
Mount St. Mary’s— fhgirl22
Northeastern—Pumpkin96
Norwich U— Jkm0478’s D
Quinnipiac U—Cake’s D, kayyx3dee, tiggrsbride’s D
Regis— tiggrsbride’s D
Salem State— Collegetiger
Salve Regina— MomtoKTandJ , kayyx3dee
Seattle U— HighAltitude
St. Anselm— mtlakes’ D, dessie411
Simmons— Collegetiger, tiggrsbride’s D
SUNY Binghamton—Pumpkin96
U Alabama Tusculoosca—Teekarex
U Connecticut—dessie411, Cake’s D
U Delaware—Cake’s D, l8rg8r
U Maine Orono—Jkm0478’s D, MomtoKTandJ
U Massachusetts Amherst—mtlakes’ D, dessie411, tiggrsbridge’s D
U Massachusetts Dartmouth— tiggrsbride’s D
U Massachusetts Lowell— mtlakes’ D
U MV— MomtoKTandJ
U New Hampshire— Jkm0478’s D, MomtoKTandJ, tiggrsbride’s D
U NE— tiggrsbride’s D
U Oregon—HImom’s relative
U Pittsburgh— Jkm0478’s D (Bradford), fhgirl22, trossi2121, WashDCMom
U Portland— HighAltitude
U Rhode Island— tiggrsbride’s D
U San Francisco— HighAltitude
U Scranton—Cake’s D
U Tampa—Teekarex
U VM—Teekarex
VILLANOVA - WashDCMom
Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU offered her Guaranteed Admissions ) - FlowerMom
Xavier— HighAltitude</p>

<p>tiggrsbride, as of right now, I’m still absolutely set on UMASS Amherst. UCONN didn’t give me any merit aid, and UMASS is definitely the most affordable option with in-state tuition and a scholarship. However, UCONN was definitely an ego boost-their nursing program is supposed to be insanely hard to get into. My guidance counselor told me to expect a rejection, so it was a nice surprise to find out I got in.</p>

<p>Also, I was accepted at Simmons College a few weeks ago. </p>

<p>Belmont U—HighAltitude
Case Western Reserve— Jkm0478’s D
Creighton— HighAltitude
DeSales U—Cake’s D
Drexel— HighAltitude
Duquesne—fhgirl22
Endicott— Collegetiger
Fairfield—MomtoKTandJ
Indiana U—Teekarex
Messiah U—Cake’s D
Northeastern—Pumpkin96
Norwich U— Jkm0478’s D
Regis— tiggrsbride’s D
Seattle U— HighAltitude
Simmons— Collegetiger, tiggrsbride’s D, dessie411
U MV— MomtoKTandJ
U NE— tiggrsbride’s D
U Pittsburgh— Jkm0478’s D (Bradford), fhgirl22, trossi2121
U Portland— HighAltitude
U Scranton—Cake’s D
U Tampa—Teekarex
U VM—Teekarex
Xavier— HighAltitude
FlowerMom—2+2 school</p>

<p>Yes I am wondering if the ‘model’ for APRN will take place (people ‘grandfathered’ through 2015). However one does not need their head in the sand regarding the push for better qualifications (as has happened with pharmacists and physical therapist to name a few).</p>

<p>Yes there would be raging debate about this. There are some NPs with 18 months of school beyond BSN and comparing some of their qualifications to others with more training…</p>

<p>My daughter (currently in training) plans to obtain NP status as well as PhD in nursing.</p>

<p>Your nursing students also need to be aware of several other things. I will name a few.</p>

<p>First, each state determines if continuing education is needed with license renewal (unless there have had national standards that are as high as any one state), the amount and during what periods. So even though many of you may think Alabama is ‘backward’, in the 1980’s (and before many, many other states) they required 24 hours of C.E. during a two year licensing period to renew as RN and LPN (they alternate years in AL for when RN and LPN licenses run). Years ago a nurse friend was appalled that she had to finish XX hours of CE to get her AL nursing license and begin work in AL.</p>

<p>Second, state nursing boards are a LOT more serious about nurse drug and alcohol use/abuse than physicians. A nurse friend who was going through some problems, was drinking heavier than she should have (she wasn’t employed at the time) - then self reported her ‘alcohol problem’ (which in reality she really just needed some counseling after several miscarriages). She now can no longer take certain nursing jobs; they always want to have her ‘supervised’. I have heard many stories about physicians who unless they are truly on the deep end beyond recovery, rarely lose or forfeit their license.</p>

<p>Dessie, I think you inadvertently posted to the old list. Here is the most current. I have also added you onto SIMMONS.</p>

<p>Nursing School Acceptances 2014
Belmont U—HighAltitude
Case Western Reserve— Jkm0478’s D, WashDCMom
Creighton— HighAltitude
DeSales U—Cake’s D
Drexel— HighAltitude
Duquesne—fhgirl22, WashDCMom,
Endicott— Collegetiger
Fairfield—MomtoKTandJ
Indiana U—Teekarex
Marquette University---- WashDCMom
Marymount University (VA) — WashDCMom
Messiah U—Cake’s D
Northeastern—Pumpkin96
Norwich U— Jkm0478’s D
Regis— tiggrsbride’s D
Seattle U— HighAltitude
Simmons— Collegetiger, tiggrsbride’s D, dessie411
U MV— MomtoKTandJ
U NE— tiggrsbride’s D
U Pittsburgh— Jkm0478’s D (Bradford), fhgirl22, trossi2121, WashDCMom
U Portland— HighAltitude
U Scranton—Cake’s D
U Tampa—Teekarex
U VM—Teekarex
VILLANOVA - WashDCMom
Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU offered her Guaranteed Admissions ) - FlowerMom
Xavier— HighAltitude</p>

<p>Accepted to SUNY Stony Brook for nursing! But I think they have a 2 + 2 program</p>

<p>Hey Pumpkin96 do you remember when Binghamton accepted you. I applied in October and haven’t heard back, so I’m kind of feeling rejected </p>

<p>My regional admissions officer from UCONN called me last night to tell me that if I were to be taken off the wait list, I would not be accepted to the nursing program because I “hadn’t taken physics.”</p>

<p>In reality, I took physics at Southern Connecticut State University last summer because I couldn’t fit it in to my schedule and I knew I needed it for nursing. My high school transcript and the SCSU transcript were separate, but I gave the SCSU transcript to my college counselor back in September. It turns out that the college office at my school did not send that extra transcript to any of my schools, most likely putting me on the wait list at UCONN and probably contributed to why I was deferred at Villanova (my top 2 choices). </p>

<p>I literally cannot believe that this happened. There are only 55 kids in my graduating class; this is inexcusable. I received no apology from them either, after they even lied and said they had “definitely sent it.” At least they made sure to get the transcript to all of my other colleges today. </p>

<p>Sorry for the big long story, but I needed to vent to people who would understand this struggle! </p>

<p>Omgosh @kayyx3dee I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry! You went the extra mile to get that physics class and they didn’t see! I truly hope you get to go where you want!</p>

<p>D received her big envelope from Catholic university of America today!</p>

<p>@cakeisgreat congrats! Your list is almost done … which school is your top fav ?</p>

<p>@cakeisgreat Thank you so much, and congratulations to your D! She’s going to have a lot of great options!</p>

<p>So it turns out my dad left a voicemail with my regional guy to make sure he actually got the new transcript. He called my dad back yesterday, telling him he got it, and that he was “working very hard” to get me into the nursing school and that “it was looking positive.” He also said I would “find out by the end of this week”, as in TOMORROW! I was completely shocked, because I thought I would still be waiting until late May. Trying not to get my hopes up too much though. </p>

<p>Thanks guys! Tops are tcnj quinnipiac udel Scranton and Villanova and northeastern if she gets into either of these. Uconn would have been a top but they didn’t give her any merit</p>

<p>@kayyx3dee iREALLY hope it works out for you!!! Please keep us posted! </p>