High school seniors 2011- who else has gotten in?

<p>@mom2collegekids
Thanks! I haven’t had the opportunity to visit Bama, but if it’s one of the last 2 or 3 in the running (which it well might be thanks to the presidential scholarship) I’ll see if I can talk my mom into a visit. One of my friends visited and had a really high opinion of it.</p>

<p>Clemson was definitely very nice but they also seem pretty stingy as far as scholarships are concerned. So I’ve got my fingers crossed that we’ll get some kind of reasonable offer from them.</p>

<p>As for the CBH, I think it’s a bit out of reach, but from skimming over the honors college app it didn’t seem like you had anything to lose by applying to it so I suppose I will.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>800CR/710M</p>

<p>I don’t think CBH is out of reach for you. Apply! </p>

<p>If you liked Clemson, then you’ll love Bama as well. And, T-town is a much better city!!!</p>

<p>*got my letter today! so excited…now i just have to convince my parents to let me go all the way across the country! *</p>

<p>Kim…where are you from? What are your stats?</p>

<p>Hopefully some of the west coat and Hawaii families can comment about coming from far away.</p>

<p>Ethanmhny: While the stats for CBHP are important, they are not the only factor in one’s selection.</p>

<p>Congrats to the rest who have gotten in! I have only told one student and one teacher at my school about being into college already, and somehow it has gotten around school and I have a lot of people asking me if it’s true that I’m already into college. You know they’re all jealous. :)</p>

<p>I haven’t heard back from my college counselor about how things are going with Bama recalculating my GPA for the scholarship, but I’m starting to think that if it works out and I have the Presidential Scholarship, there is a very good chance I’ll end up at UA. I just got back to boarding school for the year and I have quickly remembered how much having an honors suite and my own bedroom would make…and it’s not just a luxury, it would help enormously with getting work done and getting enough sleep.</p>

<p>DD got her Presidential scholarship letter today. She’s also a NMSF so we anticipate more good news later regarding additional funds/benefits. DD hasn’t decided on UA for sure but it’s nice to have a great acceptance in hand along with a wonderful scholarship package as she begins her application process.</p>

<p>Congrats!!! Yes…when she’s named a NMF, she’ll get the rest of the offer. (Congrats on her being named a NMSF!!)</p>

<p>Has your D visited Bama? If she decides to visit, schedule a campus tour.</p>

<p>Then… contact Jami Gates in the Honors College, give Jami the tour time and date and give Jami your D’s likely major and stats (include the NMSF mention) and Jami will set up appts for the rest of the day with the dept head of your D’s major, Honors college profs, tours of honors housing, etc.</p>

<p>Jami can also arrange for your D to sit in some classes.</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:Jami.n.gates@ua.edu”>Jami.n.gates@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted and also congratulations to your parents!</p>

<p>It is a big relief to have that acceptance in hand as your senior year begins.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids, thanks for the Honors College contact info. We are hoping to schedule a visit later this Fall. Thanks also for all of your wonderful posts on Alabama. Your information has proven very helpful. We are one of those families that won’t qualify for need-based aid but will have difficulty meeting our full EFC so Alabama’s scholarship programs look pretty attractive. I hope DD likes it when we visit!!</p>

<p>mom2collegekids:
I only have a 3.4 cumulative gpa and a 25 ACT :frowning: so I doubt i’d get any scholarships.
I am however Senior Class Vice President and Head Varsity Cheer Captain, if they take leadership experience into account for scholarships?</p>

<p>oh and i’m from northern california</p>

<p>Ahhh…another Californian! :)</p>

<p>Have you taken the SAT? Some do better on that and Bama ONLY counts the math and CR sections for scholarships. If you study those 2 sections and do well……</p>

<p>Anyway…to be considered for scholarships, you need to take the SAT by November…that’s the last SAT considered for scholarships.</p>

<p>OK. I took the SAT last may but scored a 580 CR and a 490 Math :frowning: but I will be retaking it again in October</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Well…get the Collegeboard’s practice book and study the math and CR sections. Those are the ones that will count for scholarships.</p>

<p>What did you put down as your major?</p>

<p>How much will your parents pay for your education?</p>

<p>my major is pre-medicine. and i’m not sure yet about how much my parents will pay, i guess it depends on where else i get in.</p>

<p>pre-med isn’t really a major. You major in whatever you want AND take pre-med curriculum courses…but it’s not a major.</p>

<p>You need to put down a specific major to be eligible for scholarships from departments. You won’t get considered if you’ve only selected “pre-med.”</p>

<p>you can change your selection on MyBama. Did you apply for scholarships yet?</p>

<p>So…will you be majoring in Bio? Chem? Math? Physics? Something else?</p>

<p>hmm thats weird because on my application it allowed me to select “Pre-medical” as my major in the general arts and sciences program. i assumed it would prompt me to pick something else if that couldn’t be my major. if not, i suppose i’d major in biology.</p>

<p>The application allows you to select Pre-Medical, Pre-Pharmacy, and Pre-Law because many students have intentions of going into those fields but are not sure of a specific major. I know for a fact that UA has at least one pre-med advisor, but pre-med is not a major at UA, rather it is a sequence of courses that can be taken by people in all sorts of majors.</p>

<p>Bama has 3 Pre-med advisors.</p>

<p>I know it’s confusing because people say, “I’m a pre-med major.” </p>

<p>But…colleges don’t have “pre-med” (or pre-law/dental/pharm) majors. </p>

<p>Yes…on the app, you can select pre-med as a major, but it’s not a major at Bama nor at other colleges. I think there is one school in the US that calls a major “pre-med”. </p>

<p>Instead, what nearly 100% of colleges do is let you major in ANY subject that you want, and then ALSO take about 8 classes that are “pre-med curriculum” that are required by med schools.</p>

<p>The problem is that by selecting “pre-med” (or pre-vet/dental/law) on your app is that you aren’t selecting a major and therefore can’t be considered for scholarships within that major.</p>

<p>So, go into MyBama - academics tab - left column and change your major to Biology or whatever you want. :)</p>

<p>Son was advised (via email) today by his Alabama Regional Recruiter that he has been accepted into UA. Mechanical Engineering major from W. PA. Now we wait for the official letter from UA and begin the Honors College application/essay.</p>