Honors College Acceptances

FYI, Bama is starting to send out Honors College acceptances. My S20 got his email notification today, 9/4. He submitted the HC application on 8/7.

@ShrimpBurrito - what is it about the honors college at UA that made your son want to apply? I don’t know much about the program.My kiddo has applied but is waiting and waiting to have his transcripts sent. And - how did you get your transcripts sent so early?? AND . . . have you heard any scholarship info yet? any extra scholarships for Honors? thanks! (I’m on FB uncloaked). . . . .

Hi! (I know who you are :smiling_face:)
S wants the Honors College for the priority registration and the option for smaller classes. There are other perks he would take advantage of, but those are the biggies.

S’s HS hosted a college prep workshop over the summer. Although he didn’t attend, since his GCs were there he was able to get several copies of his official transcript so he could apply early to colleges.

And it’s funny you ask about scholarships…just today S received a snail mail letter, confirming that he qualifies for the Presidential Scholarship. I don’t think there are extra scholarships available specifically through the HC. Have you seen the auto merit chart?

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

that merit chart is helpful. One of the reasons we are looking there! and still looking at Tulsa. OK- thanks for the info

How was the honors college acceptance notified? On the MyBama portal did the status change or through email/snail mail? Thx.

@matt2024
Originally by email (I think his Bama account), followed by snail mail a week or so later.

Thanks for the info. They said they will get back in 2 weeks when I submitted the app. Besides essay and resume they did not ask for anything else. So wanted to check.

Wow UA impresses with their efficiency. Applied to Honors college on Monday and got an email back today in MyBama account that have been accepted. It is great.

General admission 09/16 3:01 pm email
Honors College acceptance 09/18 3:54 pm email

Roll Tide!

PS - it helps that this is our 2nd DD, and so she knew what the Honors College application would be and had it ready to upload as soon as she got the acceptance notice. I think it is resume upload and a short essay along the lines of Why BAMA Honors.

Are honors classes at UA limited to honors students ?

Do some regular course sections become “honors courses” through additional work for the honors student ? (I believe that this was done in the past.)

Yes, honors classes are limited to honors students.

I don’t think regular courses become “honors courses” through additional work.

What you may mean is that sometimes there are two different courses/course numbers for a particular class, and one is honors.

For example:

There is regular Philosophy Deductive Logic and there’s Philosophy Honors Deductive Logic and the main difference was that the Honors version has one more exam (which I don’t remember if that extra test covers an additional module or what). My kids took the honors version and it was a “work at your own pace” class where typically if you work hard, you can complete the entire class by late Oct/early November. There was no final exam.

The honors college typically handles HC acceptances in batches.