Honors College Days/Greek Preview

<p>S received an invite for three different dates in March. I assume this is for accepted students. Has anyone been to these? I figured we wouldn’t go as S has been down twice already, but one date happens to coincide with his spring break. I thought perhaps he could meet with some people and get some more info prior to BB as well as myself.</p>

<p>Also it is during the Greek preview weekend(if that is what it is called) Another thing I assumed he wouldn’t be going to, but if he was there anywhere he could stop by. I have read a lot about what it is from a sorority perspective on this thread, but would would the guys do? Would he just walk around by himself and talk to people?</p>

<p>My son received the same regarding the Honors College. We are planning on going down for the March 11th date, which will be our first visit to UA. When we reserved, we were told to expect a presentation from Dean Sharpe, a student panel, a mock Honors College Class for the incoming students, a Parents session with info on the program and scholarships, breakaway meetings with the college/department of interest to each incoming student, honors dorms tours, and a campus tour.</p>

<p>Is your student a jr or sr? It seems odd to have a scholarship meeting at this late date?</p>

<p>This Honors Event was our first eye opening visit to UA two years ago.</p>

<p>Many of the students attending it was also their first visit on campus.
The event was well laid out by the Honors Staff. We also made arrangements for a room and campus tour. </p>

<p>D & I stayed an extra day to talk to random students, tour the city since the University of Alabma was not really on our radar when we started filling out (many) applications fall of her senior year.</p>

<p>We had to wait until her winter sport season was over to visit.</p>

<p>We then visited the last of her schools on the “list”! After that weekend we had a new list UA was #1! And we sent in the deposits!!</p>

<p>Idinct,</p>

<p>He is a sr. My impression is they were going to answer questions people may have about the scholarships already offered.</p>

<p>Idinct, My son is a senior and will be attending UA in the fall. He is interested in joining a fraternity and will attend the Greek Preview. I am by no means an expert. but I have been asking around and doing some research. Here’s what I found on the UA Greek Life page:</p>

<p>Fraternity Preview Day will take place at the Ferguson Center on the campus of the University of Alabama. The schedule will be as follows:</p>

<p>12:45 p.m. Registration begins at Ferguson Center
1:15 p.m. Fraternity Life at The Capstone program begins
2:00 p.m. IFC Recruitment Roundtable and Panel (Gorgas Library)</p>

<p>3:15 p.m. House Tours
5:30 p.m. Fraternity Barbecue on DKE/Beta Lawn </p>

<p>Everything I read says this is a good opportunity for the potential members to meet some of the fraternity members and to “get their name out there”. I hope this helps. I’m sure there are others that will be able to tell us more.</p>

<p>Wondering if this is something you do with (eek) your parents? S is saying now he might look into a fraternity for sophomore year. I don’t think that is an unwise choice. But, I do wonder if its easier to do it in the regular timeframe.
crimson217 are you also going to the Honors day on that Friday? Did I also see you were at BB for Fr 5?</p>

<p>^^^For boys, I believe that it is okay to join after freshman year. I am sure someone more knowledgeable about the Greek system will chime in.</p>

<p>I have decided to attend both of the days in a row. I will be doing the Honors Day on the 25th and Greek Preview Day on the 26th. I am hoping to learn a little bit more about the Honors program and maybe even find some roommates in the process. That would also be cool if I could find roommates interested in Greek and the Honors college. I have finally decided that I am going to Bama for sure after Tulane fell through. I am excited to Roll Tide next year at Tuscaloosa. Also, I will be chatting with the band directors that Honors day later on, so hope that I get to meet a lot of people.</p>

<p>We won’t be there for the Honors Day, my son has State Science and Engineering Fair. We are flying into B’ham on Sat. morning. He is signed up for Bama Bound on June 13-14.</p>