Honors College Essay

I have a question about the essay for the honors college application. On the application web page, it states that National Merit Semifinalists will automatically be admitted to the honors college. Then there’s a spot for a “tell us about yourself” essay. That essay has a length limit of 2000 words! That’s a heck of a lot of essay about myself.

I plan to apply to the Alabama Fellows Experience as well as the CBHP. I assume both of those have essays as well (I can’t tell because until I finish the honors application I can’t see those). Will the “tell me about yourself” essay be used for admission to Fellows and/or CBHP, or can I write something pretty simple here since I’m automatically accepted to the honors college.

Thanks!

Sorry I meant National Merit Finalists, not Semifinalists, in the post above.

It’s a 2000 character limit. Just write something about yourself, as the HC will want to know about you. You will still be accepted. You probably have another essay you can re-use.

Both programs have different essay prompts.
I believe the honors essay can be pretty basic. I know others will respond if I am not correct.
Good luck to you and Roll Tide!

It’s definitely 2000 characters - and they count spaces and carriage returns lol.

My son put all of like 5 mins into the Honors essay. There was text that basically stated that admittance is based on statistics and not what you write. That was interpreted by my son as “this is a formality - don;t put effort into it”.

Honestly, 2000 characters is pretty darn short. He had two shor paragraphs for a brief 411 and then a single paragraph on his career goals. Lastly, he closed with why the concept of HC fits him (and the converse). He had to shorten it 4-5 times as the Word count and online/web character count varied a bit.

I wrote that essay extremely fast about what I want to do in my life. I quickly threw in the honors college’s four pillars and how that will help me grow. It even says they admit purely on stats.

Bonks self in head. My critical reading scores were good; you’d think I would have read that more carefully. Anyway, 2000 chars changes things a lot! I’ll knock it out and move on. Thanks all!

:slight_smile: Happens. Good luck!