Honors College Scholarships Question

<p>I cut/pasted this from the UA website:</p>

<p>The following scholarships are available for current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in good standing in the Honors College. Good standing indicates a GPA of 3.3 or higher, and timely progress in taking Honors hours. The scholarships may not be used in the summer or semester after a student’s graduation. </p>

<p>Does anyone have experience with these? Specifically, how competitive and how much of an award they might be. DS is a HS junior and Alabama is his #1 dream school. It looks like he will make the Honors College cut, but not the 3.5 cut for OOS scholarships. We don’t have his SAT yet, but his PSAT was encouraging.</p>

<p>Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>The 3.3 GPA is the college GPA for current students, not prospective students. </p>

<p>You need to look at the scholarships specifically for incoming freshman and their HS GPA and test score requirements.</p>

<p>My son might not qualify for the OOS scholarships for incoming freshman. So, now I am trying to figure out how helpful one of these scholarships could be if he went to Alabama Honors College and tried for one of these scholarships as an existing student.</p>

<p>Oh sorry, it looked like you were mixing high school and college academic benchmarks (Jr. son, PSAT, college GPA) in your question.</p>

<p>College courses are generally more intense than HS, and some majors have difficult weeder classes that underclassmen must pass thru. I think it would be hard to know how he might fare at UA without knowing his intended major, his personal committment to meeting the scholarship requirements, etc.</p>

<p>Is it unlikely that your son will get a 3.5 weighted GPA that includes ALL classes…even PE and electives?</p>

<p>If your son gets close to a 3.5 GPA and gets a high SAT or ACT, then there’s a good chance he will get an incoming frosh scholarship. It won’t be one of the guaranteed ones, but he might get one of the competitive ones.</p>

<p>Bama sometimes awards scholarship money to those who have high test scores who just miss the GPA req’t. You would find out next spring. If your son got one, it would likely be for each of his four years.</p>

<p>what will his major be?</p>

<p>It’s hard to know how hard it would be to win one of the scholarships for current students. And, it’s unknown if those would be for each of the remaining ones or just one time awards.</p>