Honors program questions?

<p>I'd like to think i'm a fairly strong case for University Studies when applying (Not NoVa, 3.8W Gpa, 1480/1600 SAT, 2 jobs, 2 volunteer jobs, 2 varsity sports, 8 ap classes), and I was thinking about applying for the honors program. I've been looking for information on the average statistics for people in the honors program, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to get in. Even with a fairly poor GPA like mine, would a case like this have a decent shot at it, or would I have an ice cube's chance in hell? Any information from people in the program, past members, or just people who have experience would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Well, when I tried to apply to Honors as someone from NOVA majoring in engineering, I had a 3.97 GPA weighted with a 1430/1600 SAT and 7 AP classes, but no credible extracurriculars. I did not get accepted. I don’t really know about the average statistics, but I would figure that extracurriculars (volunteering, etc.) are much more important than in the general application.</p>

<p>Oh hey,</p>

<p>I’m in the honors program! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.</p>

<p>As to your initial question, dfmlege is quite correct. It might have changed since I applied, but they have a minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score that you need to even apply. If you meet that minimum (which is around 3.75 GPA and 30 ACT- idk about SAT cause I’m from the West), then it’s really based on AP and extracurricular. </p>

<p>THEY LOVE AP CLASSES!!! The people in the honors program are usually double majors- meaning that you need a lot of credits coming in to double major and graduate in four years. They also love EC’s but I don’t know the extent to which they do… Personally, I had a ton (14 years soccer and Idaho state ski team, nuclear research, international soccer…and oooh this could go on forever)</p>

<p>Finally, show them you’re creative/different. They emphasize diversity (academically and personally, not racial). Many people in the program have weird double majors- like engineering and music, or poultry science and architecture. I’m doing materials science and math. The point is that they want people with a wide variety of interests.</p>

<p>Also you get to take all math classes in a classroom, not in the empo! Also, apply for housing, I didn’t, but I wish I did.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, honors is very hard to stay in if you’re engineering (3.5 GPA). It’s doable- or else I wouldn’t be in it- but very time consuming. </p>

<p>I really encourage you to visit VT and schedule a meeting with the director Dr. Papillon- he was the reason why I chose to come to VT all the way from Idaho.</p>

<p>Peace!</p>

<p>@Mcroson, would you mind posting your curricular statistics (ie, GPA/SAT), and would you happen to know if job experience/volunteering would be as much as a hook as a sport? I’ve played piano since I was 6, ran indoor/outdoor track, wrestled, and did academic team in high school, but did not have anything extremely spectacular about any of them (I’m not a sports god/goddess like you are :P) . Would the 2 jobs/2 volunteering things be able to make up for it? Sorry, i’m asking fairly specific things that may be difficult to answer.</p>

<p>@dflmlege, thanks for the insight and the stats, sorry you didn’t get in, and now you’re making me a bit more anxious D:</p>

<p>Of course!</p>

<p>GPA UW = 4.00
GPA W (my school only gave 0.5 for AP) = 4.3
I only took the ACT (sorry, Idahoans don’t condone the facists from CollegeBoard). Anyways
ACT Math = 36
ACT English = 35
I did get a 25 on reading and 27 on science, but VT only looks at english and reading…yeah!
IDK about jobs, cause I never had one, so you’ll have that over me. However, I don’t know whether they value sports or jobs more… they just want to see whether you’re really passionate about something. For me, obviously, that was soccer. For you, it sounds like piano. It doesn’t have to be as significant as soccer was for me. In fact, on my essay, I didn’t even mention soccer, I just talked about my passion for mathematics. I didn’t have any ECs involving math, but I expressed how I really enjoyed the conceptualizing parts of math. On my second essay, I talked about how I originally wanted to be a Pokemon master. Just reveal your personality in your essays, don’t discuss things they already know from your resume.</p>

<p>It doesn’t have to be anything huge, just reveal how you’re really interested in lots of things.</p>

<p>Hope that helps</p>

<p>Here are a few threads from last year regarding honors. They may be worth going over for reference regarding general information, a timeline of when offers to apply were sent out last year, when people heard back, and stats that were accepted. Keep in mind that things change from year to year so verify important information via links directly at vt.edu. Best of luck!</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1072192-university-honors.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1072192-university-honors.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/860176-honors-housing.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/860176-honors-housing.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1110712-honors-admission-notification.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1110712-honors-admission-notification.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You can cross reference stats of people who said they were accepted in the above thread in the accepted thread below, if you really want to…</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1090425-class-2011-2015-decision-thread.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1090425-class-2011-2015-decision-thread.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>A big virtual hi-five for both of you! Although knowing more information definitely makes this a bit more stressful due to the newfound knowledge of so much competition (WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO HAVE A 4.9 GPA AND 1500 SAT SCORE), its definitely nice to see a more realistic approach. @mcroson, would you happen to know any of the real perks of being in honors? I know that you get specialized housing, first choice in classes, and more hours with professors, but do you have any specifics? Thanks!</p>

<p>To be clear, housing is not definite. Once you’re in honors, you have to apply for honors housing. I am not in honors housing even though I’m in honors program (too lazy to write another essay :confused: )</p>

<p>You get special scholarship consideration (which I don’t know much about cause it only applies to late sophomores and above).</p>

<p>The classes for honors are much better. For instance, as opposed to taking Linear Algebra at the Empo, I took it in a class. The class is much more work, but it’s also much more theory based; whereas, at the Empo, you just memorize formulas and techniques for solving problems. </p>

<p>Also, free food at honors sessions.</p>

<p>Plus, you get to meet a lot of smart people (who are better to study with)</p>

<p>Hey! So i’m a freshman in Honors, and also in Honors housing. The best advice i can give: APPLY FOR HOUSING. The honors communities are a fantastic network of students from all different majors, not to mention you get a closer connection to the Honors faculty and staff.</p>

<p>Something new to Honors this year is the HRC, the Honors Residential College. It’s a brand new living-learning community just for Honors students, in the single nicest dorm on campus (we have a movie theater!). It’s a great community, and it’s different in that we actually have University faculty that live here with us. Sounds odd, but its actually awesome! </p>

<p>Honors classes are a great advantage, much smaller, more personal, and in a lot of cases, in an actual classroom as opposed to an online format. </p>

<p>As other people mentioned, you have to have a minimum SAT/ACT to even be invited to apply. but once you do, they look more into personality and diversity of your profile than they do academics. Honors really strives to create a diverse and unique community, so they want to see what you can add to that! Be different and unique, that’s what they like!</p>

<p>we get 3rd choice of classes, behind disabled students and student athletes. Honors also encourages a more well-rounded university experience, because there are so many ways to earn credit for an honors diploma, you almost have to step out of the comfort zone!</p>

<p>I’m just a freshman, and i am honestly struggling with the 3.5, and i’m also in engineering (single major, though) but i already love the Honors program, its such a great benefit! </p>

<p>Hope all of that helps!</p>