Hotels / motels

<p>Does anyone know – is the Wingate still standing? it damaged? Some of us are booked there for Bama Bound. (I assume Bama Bound is still happening…?)</p>

<p>I know this is the least of everyone’s worries at this point, and rightly so, but DH was asking about it tonight.</p>

<p>God bless, all!</p>

<p>Don’t know about the Wingate, but I called the Fairfield, as we stay there when in town and were worried about the employees there, and they are still standing, have power and water.</p>

<p>Hotels will be scarce as relief workers and insurance adjusters move into the area. If you haven’t booked your hotels for Bama Bound, you should probably do that ASAP.</p>

<p>Best Western on McFarland has power and is still operational.</p>

<p>The Wingate should be fine. The Tornado went diagonally from the southwest to the northeast part of the city from what I understand. Anything east of McFarland and south of University Mall should be ok.</p>

<p>Does anyone know about Microtel Inn and Suites- University? We have a reservation for Bama Bound there for Jun 1st. I know the tornado had to have come very very close if it did not get hit.</p>

<p>I am assuming if Fairfield is fine, the Couryard must be ok. Does anybody know?</p>

<p>The Microtel University (by Target) is undamaged. The Holiday Inn Express suffered some damage to the entrance, mainly the large semi-decorative columns that hold up the carport in front of the hotel.</p>

<p>Thank you SeaTide. Actually felt bad even asking considering everything else that is going on.</p>

<p>Actually felt bad even asking considering everything else that is going on.</p>

<p>That’s how I felt, too.</p>

<p>Thanks, all, for y’all’s kind responses!</p>

<p>Home-towns Suites at 1650 Veterans Blvd???</p>

<p>I wasn’t able to see the status of the Home Towne Suites since it is further off the road, but the tornado appears to have missed it. </p>

<p>As for feeling guilty about asking the status of Hotels, Bama Bound, etc., don’t feel bad. I’ve found that one of the best coping methods in the wake of tragedy is to return to a semblance of normalcy. I was over in Northport yesterday and you wouldn’t think that there was any sort of natural disaster just across the river as the power was on and stores and restaurants were fully stocked.</p>

<p>We contacted the Wingate on Friday 4/29 and they are open and undamaged. As of now, they plan to honor our reservation for mid-May.</p>

<p>I was able to roughly estimate the path of the tornado as it passed just south of the university by looking at a satellite photo posted on CNN at [Officials</a> still counting deaths on 3rd day after storms - CNN.com](<a href=“Volunteers rush to help after tornadoes - CNN.com”>Volunteers rush to help after tornadoes - CNN.com) .</p>

<p>Hope this helps (and hope the link to the map below works!)</p>

<p>

<a href=“http://i1093.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/i435/BamaTex11/tornadopath.jpg[/IMG]”>http://i1093.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/i435/BamaTex11/tornadopath.jpg

</a></p>

<p>I had a reservation for May 5th, my original day to head over and start packing son up.</p>

<p>I just received a call from the Fairfield in Tuscaloosa asking if I still need the room.</p>

<p>I intend to give it up, as those rooms will be needed for displaced families, relief workers, insurance adjusters.</p>

<p>I had a room reserved through Hotwire at the Wingate (thanks to the great CC tips) for next Tuesday when we originally planned to pick up our D. Since Hotwire has a no refunds I figured I’d just be out the money. I did want to let the Wingate know that we didn’t need the room so I called. Much to my surprise, they said since I had taken the time to call they would process a cancellation and refund through Hotwire. Even in stressful times, the Southern Hospitality shines!</p>

<p>yep. we cancelled our room at the wingate without penalty. : )</p>