How competitive is A&M this year?

<p>The previous post is dead-on correct. </p>

<p>Our school has terribly low standards. AP Bio and AP World typically have a 1% - 3% pass rate here. It’s ridiculous. It’s because we have an open door policy so the AP classes are filled with people who honestly should not be in AP. The teaching philosophy is also literally more devoted to preparing students to study the material at a college level than prepping for the exam. Also, grade inflation. Grade inflation EVERYWHERE. </p>

<p>Thus, you can make a high grade in a class and certainly not pass the AP exam.</p>

<p>I can’t remember if AP scores were even requested in the application process for my D last fall. I know that she had to send them with the final transcript after graduation, but don’t remember sending them before then. </p>

<p>The others are spot on on AP classes in some districts. My neice was from a small district that did not have very good passing rates on the exams. She took a couple of the same AP’s as my D and they did not cover a lot of the material that D had been taught.</p>

<p>Youre right rushedmom, AP score are not requested. However, there is a section for awards, where one can write down the name of an award, honor and distinction etc and the basis for why it was won. That said, my son did not do this. :slight_smile: My son and I have an agreement, that I cannot review his application until the application is sent. So, we discussed this topic after the application was sent. Fortunately, he does have a line in his essay C about the number of AP courses he took in junior year and his scores.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Unfortunately, these kids pay for it when they get to college when they cannot keep up with the work. The professors do not slow down for them to catch up and these kids end up dropping out. It is tragic.</p>

<p>I think he has a great chance to get in. My daughter is Commended as well as National Hispanic Scholar and she has already been accepted. </p>

<p>Just a note, we were up at the school on Nov 19 for a Scholars day and the admissions counselor said that 4 of the engineering majors are now full… I’m pretty sure he said mechanical, petroleum, electrical and either chemical or civil. He also said Mays Business is over half full. My D got accepted to Mays.</p>

<p>According to the Applicant Information System (AIS), electrical and civil engineering are Not full.</p>