How competitive is A&M this year?

<p>I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive the selection process is this year. Do you know how many people have applied so far? Do you think it's a lot of people? I'm getting worried that I won't get accepted :/</p>

<p>At the prospective student session, the guy said last year there were 30,000 applicants for 8,000 spots, which was a record. He said they expect even more this year. Also, the honors guys on here said they expect on-campus housing to fill up in February, last year it filled in March.</p>

<p>What are your stats? I know several people with pretty average stats who have already been accepted, so I don’t think it can be too selective.</p>

<p>My son just applied for electrical engineering, academic review, 12 AP courses (4 5s, 1 4, rest in senior yr). 11 Honors courses. 700s on all sections of SAT. 750 Math II.</p>

<p>Seems it depends on the major choice, son’s friend got turned down for chemical engineering by TAMU (and he was an auto-admit to the university), but got into UT’s program. Go figure!</p>

<p>@LittleTexan: He is also a National Merit Semifinalist from TX (Finalist hopeful). So, what is your prediction?</p>

<p>@granipc well if he was auto admit and didn’t get into the CE program, then it was probably because it was full.</p>

<p>Perazziman, I’d be shocked if he didn’t get in. But what was his gpa and rank? Surprised he’s not an auto admit.</p>

<p>granipc - yep, program must have been full. Those spots fill up FAST. The admissions counselor told us to be ready to have all the information and essays ready and be ready to hit the submit button on the application within a week of the application being available. Engineering fills up first.</p>

<p>@cromette: Son has 9 middle school courses on his high school transcript transferred on an unweighted scale. These were internal grades that were issued by teachers with the understanding that they would not be included in high school class rank, leave alone an uweighted scale. The high school he attends has decided to ignore the other district’s policy and include them as academic level grades. These mid. school courses push his class rank down by about 10%. Therefore, presently he has a 25.9 % class rank. Without these middle school courses he would be top 15% and easily an auto academic admit. </p>

<p>Effectively, because of this policy, the day he started high school, he was put in a position where he would have been unable to crack the top 10% even if he had straight As in high school and taken all the honors courses he could take. It is just a case of grown up administrators behaving like children from poor districts and rich districts, pointing fingers at each other, who have no concern for the welfare of the individual child. Then they wonder why some of us value PSAT, SAT, SAT Subject Tests and AP scores etc over gpa and class rank.</p>

<p>^I want to point out that he has had some incredibly talented teachers helping him grow along the way, without their help and his friends who attend high school with him none of his academic success would have been possible.</p>

<p>So he is a national merit semifinalist? i wouldn’t worry AT ALL! and over 2100 SAT, that is awesome! :)</p>

<p>With those SAT scores, he would have been an auto admit at top 25% - he’s BARELY out. and when they see he’s a NMS semi-finalist and look at his transcript - I would be really shocked if he was not pretty golden.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks,
Yes, a nmsf from TX.
Yes, 700s in all sections of the SAT, so nicely over 2100. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks, I wish I felt as confident.</p>

<p>@perazziman. I have very similar stats as your son and I received my acceptance yesterday. I had 11 AP courses, was the 27% of my class, also a Nat. Merit Semifinalist, 1470/2230 on the SAT, 35 on ACT. I was accepted into Liberal Arts, which is one of the less competitive schools at TAMU, but I would say that he has a very good chance.</p>

<p>Thanks crhs that is very encouraging. Also, congratulations on your acceptance.</p>

<p>Girl from my school just got accepted. High 20’s ACT, 3/515 rank, 8 AP’s, no passed AP exams (all 1’s and 2’s).</p>

<p>^I believe, that class rank would make her an auto admit.</p>

<p>I’m a little curious…how does someone in the top 1% of her class not manage to pass any AP tests? Did she simply not try at all?</p>

<p>^crhs, It usually happens in schools where the teachers do not cover what college board expects them to in AP classes. Most of the time, academic classes are remedial in these schools and AP classes cover what is academic in ours. So, the normal students attend AP classes at these school and the smart kids have no option but to take academic classes that are labelled AP. It sometimes happens in districts that do not have enough money to give their top students academically stimulating courses.</p>