How long to hear after admission for scholarship?

I have been accepted to Alabama and before I schedule a visit I wanted to confirm the 50% scholarship for out of state.

How long does it usually take to be notified if awarded? Also, I have read on many occasions that the scholarship is automatic if you have the correct stats. Is that correct?

I filled out the application for scholarship but didn’t see any box to click if your ACT was 29 and/or Out of state. Did I miss anything? I called the admission office, but they can only say if I submitted the application and not what boxes I checked.

It is automatic if you meet the stats, yes.

Yes, the scholarship is automatic. You have the stats, you get the scholarship. It’s that simple.

The admit letter and the scholarship offer will be sent to you via mail box.

By the way, here is an excerpt from my scholarship letter: “Congratulations on your admission to The University of Alabama! Based on your test score and high school GPA, we are awarding you a ** Scholarship of $** per year.”

You can see the wording for yourself: “based on your test score and high school GPA”.

Congratulations on your scholarship!

Clarification if you don’t mind…we are in similar situation. When you say “automatic”, do you mean it is automatic once you complete the separate scholarship application form? My daughter submitted her admission application this weekend, but doesn’t have the account id yet to complete the scholarship app, which we think is required. I am trying to find out what the essay prompt(s) is/are for that scholarship application, just in case it takes a couple of days before she gets the account id and can access the system (we understand the due date for scholarships is 12/15). Anyway, any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

@uptick Yes, when I say “automatic”, it is truly automatic once you complete the seperate scholarship form. Regardless of what you say in the application, you receive the scholarship.

There are no essays in that application. Just a couple of questions asking about extracurricular-activities and other simple stuff, which take me about 10 minutes to complete.

There is another application to the Honors College, but I think it’s not as important. You can do that whenever you want. The application contains an essay asking about yourself, which is of no importance whateoever. I wrote 5 sentences and received the acceptance the next day.

To sum up: if you have the stats, you get the scholarship. That’s it. But it is indeed required to complete the scholatship application in time. I think you should contact the admissioner and ask for your mybama account.

Congratulations on your daughter’s scholarship!

You should have the ID by Monday latest. Either way, Bama awards the auto awards regardless of the scholarship app. But, get it in as soon as you can as a formality.

That’s what separates UA from a lot of schools. You have the stats…you get the scholarships automatically. Crazy good!

to all - thanks for the help. appreciate it.

In addition to the “auto scholarships” based on stats, do they have the “by invitation” or other more significant scholarships to offer? We are out of state, so we kind of know what that will give her, and she’ll get an alumni s’ship. But I still think it will be a good bit higher than in state tuition. So I was thinking there were others to bring it down a bit more.

What scholarship does she qualify for? What is her major?

According to the out-of-state scholarship page, she’d qualify for the Foundation in Excellence Scholarship (29 ACT or 1290–1320 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and receive the value of one-half tuition or $51,900 over four years ($12,975 per year).

I am not 100% sure, but the alumni scholarships would be another $500 or $1000.

^ re Post #5 - I don’t believe that if students apply by Dec 15th deadline that they can finish the scholarship application later than that. The website says both must be filed by Dec 15th, and warns about the lag in getting a CWID in order to complete the scholarship app: http://scholarships.ua.edu/freshmen/

“In order to be considered for any scholarships you are eligible for as an incoming freshman, a completed scholarship application must be submitted online (this includes the résumé portion of the scholarship application). To complete the scholarship application, go to myBama, log in, click the Academics tab, and select the Application for Scholarships link in the Scholarships box. Please note that when you apply it generally takes 24-48 hours for you to receive your CWID so that you may access the scholarship application.”