How many Presidential Scholars does Alabama give out each year?

We only considered Alabama because of this offer. I was unable to find that info on a quick search and could understand why that might not be something they post.

While I am posting, when does that scholarship offer show up in the myBama Scholarship Offers section? We received the letter stating the offer so I know we are good. I would like to see it online too. The note online says “I am sorry, but this page is accessible only to New First Time Freshman and Transfers who were awarded scholarships.”

Congratulations on your Presidential Award, my DS received it and Alabama gives out as many as students willing to take them and matriculate into Alabama. That being said, the latest figure I saw was 980 Presidential Awards per year. I hope that helps you and have you visited? Roll Tide

Our DD got a Presidential Scholarship and my DW attended the tour with her so I am not positive about this but, as I understand it, they give one out to everyone who applies and meets the minimum criteria (SAT over 1400 or ACT over 34).

I am not sure about the MyBama question. We got the letter but haven’t checked anything online.

Congratulations. Do not be concerned if you do not see it on the MyBama page in plan writing yet, I too worried last year at this time, I even called Alabama twice to confirm my sons Presidential scholarship status. He also received the letter however I could not see it listed on the MyBama page this time of year. It does show up and is there when it comes time to pay. Eventually you will see it under the section that applies to FAFSA stuff, Even if your student does not qualify for finical aid. And also a new tab will appear in a couple of months. In that section your student will also need to click “Accept” to their merit scholarships offers. Your student will also get an e-mail to their Crimson e-mail account asking them to log on to “Accept” it. Make sure your student is checking their Crimson e-mail.

It won’t show up on myBama for awhile. It will show up eventually…don’t worry! You will have to formally accept it in March or April.

[QUOTE=""]

SAT over 1400 or ACT over 34).>>>

[/QUOTE]

Correction…ACT 32+

@coaster1‌ Bama is NOT shy about posting about their scholarship offers. :slight_smile:

Does accepting mean committing to enroll? Or can my D accept then change her mind? I really don’t think she’ll be able to decide early.

Thanks all! @wvacupuncture - Thanks for the figure. So about 15% of the incoming class gets that scholarship. I am surprised it is not higher. We visited the campus last week. While I think the weather alone would have sold her(we live in Northern Virginia) - she was completely sold on the campus, honor’s program, and the dorm suites. We notified all the other schools that had accepted her that she was going to Alabama. She has already picked out a roommate too.

@Texasmomalso and @mom2collegekids – Whew! I knew we had the offer, but it is so scary not seeing it listed. I check the myBama site every day so I will definitely see it when it shows up.

Last year the option to accept decline appeared just after mid March. It was noted that a student had until May 1 to accept or decline and had the option to change his or her mind until then.

@scholarme nothing requires your child to attend. :slight_smile:

thanks!
She’s like me - agonizes over very decision. :slight_smile:

@scholarme What is she doing about housing???

Housing will be que sera sera I think.

lol

It doesn’t tell how many presidentials, but you might appreciate this info:

http://uanews.ua.edu/2014/09/ua-enrollment-tops-36000-freshmen-bring-record-scores-gpas/

In 2013 there were 913 Presidential Scholars out of approximately 1937 students with an ACT 30+ so assuming the ratio will be about the same in 2014 there were about 990 Presidential Scholarships awarded. The above numbers do not include NMF, NMAS, NMHS, Academic Elites and Crimson Scholars.

@scholarme, if and when you find yourself in this predicament, I will direct you to last year’s “que sera sera” thread, where you can follow my kid’s quest to get out of his original dorm assignment. Of we can just skip to the end: Everything worked out fine; better, frankly, than if he’d gotten his first choice for housing. :slight_smile: