Howard University BS/MD Program 2015-2016

@Nedcone, really they accept dual-enrollment credits? Is there a limit on how many dual-enrollment credits/what kinds (first year or second year classes) I can bring in? I’ve completed both the starting chem classes and the orgo classes at my local community college, as well as Microbio, genetics, and a physics E&M at this college all through dual-enrollment. Bringing all these in would help a lot in terms of courseload, but do you think they’ll let me? (Ofc that is if I even get accepted).

I haven’t heard of any limit on credits here @wisely1300 . Your Microbio and genetics credits aren’t needed for this program. Chem, Orgo Chem, and Physics will be accepted, and would help with courseload.

Thanks a lot for all these information @Nedcone. I’ve been officially accepted into the program today (just received the email today congratulating and accepting me haha) and right now I’m just so happy!

@Nedcone Our daughter’s friend who is in the program said said the BSMD program required them to take Bio and Chem there at HU even though she and most others had a 5 on AP classes in those subjects. Has that changed? One of our high school sons is very interested in the program (and HU in general) so she has been mentoring him a bit.

Also, (for @wisely1300 and others for planning) she told him to remember that the scholarships (I think she has a full ride) do NOT cover the summer cost. So when she had to stay at HU (summer after year one) and take Orgo 1 and Orgo 2, ran her about 8k for room, board and course costs. Still a great deal, but something to plan for if that is still the case if you are thinking you will not pay a dime. I believe she is in ‘step two’ and now in the medical school.

Finally she said the rumor has it that the MCAT requirement to move onto phase 2 has gone up and will continue to go up (still figuring out the new MCAT).

She has no regret doing the program and has remained friends with her undergrad friends which she said gives a balance to med school pressure and life. But some others wish they had gone to top college they had gotten in and then had a chance to visit and apply to an array of med schools.

@Nedcone Has the above information changed with your class?

@wisely1300 Congratulations! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

@ReturningFavor AP credits are not at all counted for the sciences, that remains correct. Dual enrollment however, is a different story and can be used for credit to the extent of my knowledge. The rest of your knowledge is up to date. The MCAT score for the BS/MD students two years ahead of me (Step 2 M1s) was 498. The score to meet for the 2nd years’ (who just got MCAT scores back today) was 504. Our program director tells us that a range increase of 506-510 may be expected. Tough but few if any people fail to make the score.

@wisely1300 Congratulation!! Great news!

@nedcone My daughter’s friend said that her scholarship extends to years 3 and 4 of medical school minus room and board (full amount of scholarship as you described for years 1 and 2 of med) since she was accepted to bsmd before the start of freshman year. However, for those who were accepted after they started freshman year (started bsmd spring term of freshman year) their scholarships ended after 4 years (i.e. first two years of med). Do you know if this is correct? If so, my son needs to rethink this as 4 years at our state med schools would be cheaper than 2 years of tuition and the huge living expenses at HUCM (as well as 8-10 K summer after freshman year). Then again, no guarantee he would get in them!

@ReturningFavor I believe that is incorrect for the latter part. My friend who entered in the spring has a founders, and his scholarship, just as ours, applies throughout the years as you described.

@Nedcone I think I did not explain it well. She said with the LAST 2 years of medical school, only those who were in bsmd at the start of freshman year still get the scholarship $ (and then, on the tuition piece). The first 2 years of med, all bsmd who have an undergrad scholarship, regardless of when they entered bsmd, get their full scholarship $.
The advantage of being chosen at the start of the bsmd process vs. spring term of freshman year is that the former get their scholarships all 6 years (but the last two they only get tuition).
But perhaps that has changed too with your class or those just before you? Or perhaps she is mistaken. I think she is entering her 3rd year in med, so I imagine she will soon find out. Thank you for you updates and help, as a very busy (I am sure) current student!

@Nedcone… a reminder to please check on the details I had requested. Thanks.

@Necdone @ReturningFavor please do let us know if the scholarship still applies for the 3rd and 4tb yrs of med school for students accepted during the spring

@hubsmd @syllaboss @ReturningFavor

The scholarship only applies partially to the first two years of medical school. It does not extend into year 3 and 4 for anyone. In year 1 and 2, the amount of the scholarship doesn’t fully cover medical school, so you must pay the difference.

@cookiestar … Thank you.

@hubsmd @cookiestar @syllaboss @ReturningFavor @Nedcone

Actually, I contacted the financial aid office about it, and they said that, at least for the Presidential Scholarship, the scholarship will cover any length of a preprofessional program (be it 5 or 6 years).

I don’t understand why there are so many discrepancies about this. Maybe the med school knows and does something different?

@L34s21

Haha! One thing you’ll learn about howard is that everyone at the financial aid office has a different story. You’ll hear something new from each person you call.
From what I have heard from the BSMD advisor and from older students in the program is that the scholarship only applies for 4 years. So it does not go into year 3 and 4 in med. I view it as a good deal regardless and not something to be so concerned over right now.

Did you get into the program for this year???

Oh I hate how there has to be a scavenger hunt to find the correct answer! But yeah, I’m not that concerned; it’s still pretty nice to know that I won’t be swimming debt for my education :slight_smile:

Thank you again for helping out us incoming kids!

Yes, I did get in this year. I just joined cc primarily because there was a dearth of information otherwise for the program, and this forum has helped a lot in the past week

@cookiestar How was your experience like (with the workload, interacting with other bs md folks, social life in general at Howard)?

And is there anything that would be nice to know beforehand?

Yeah no problem! I also had trouble finding information on the program. CC was the best source. The workload is pretty manageable in your first year for sure. Students have a lot more time to do fun things in the first year. Second year is more busy definitely with harder classes and MCAT. Still manageable but definitely more work. Also, you’ll be taking Orgo over the summer, which shouldn’t be too bad as you will only be taking Orgo, orgo lab and no other classes.
A lot of the BS/MD kids are pretty close to each other. Still you’ll definitely be able to interact with students outside the program as well! One thing I’d recommend is that you should get to know people you feel like you’d want to be around the rest of the year during freshman week. I’ve found that freshman week friendships tend to last a long time, so make good use of it!

Also, there is an emphasis on volunteerwork in the program! You will have to keep up volunteering as a student in the program.

Another note on housing: If you’re a boy try to live in Cook Hall. Drew is quite far from the main campus and not pleasant to live in. If you’re a girl, go with CHN. It’s much better for living.

@cookiestar
Oh my gosh, thank you so much!

Just 3 more questions!

1. What type of ecs are required/suggested besides volunteering? I kind of want to also participate in other clubs like music ensembles and such.
  1. In the acceptance email, it said something about completing elective courses for a major other than biology. This may be a bit frank, but how does that work? Would we also have to complete biology major electives?
  2. Do we have to go through the application process again for the med school (apply, interview)? When would we do that? How likely is it that we will pass the second time?

I’m so happy and excited for next year!

@L34s21

There are no real required E.C’s besides volunteering. But I know it looks good if you start shadowing! That is looked on favorably. Also you have to join the Health Professions Society and go to their meetings. The society (HPS) mainly just gives info on the premedical process, since you still go through the motions of a premed in the program. You should have time to join clubs for fun.

As for the electives, we basically have to do about 3 classes for each division, A, B, and C. These classes include things like African American studies, arts classes, mythology, etc. The credit load is not too much. You’ll be fine and be able to manage it. We also have to complete one foreign language sequence and some gym credits, but again those classes are generally easy so you’ll be fine.

I don’t believe you have to do biology major electives as well. Just a certain number of classes from each of the 3 divisions. You’ll come to appreciate those classes since they tend to be easy compared to science classes :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahhhh, thank you :-bd