Howard University BS/MD Program 2015-2016

Oh i just saw your 3rd question XD. Yeah you do go through the whole process. It is usually pretty likely you will make it as long as you have a decent interview, maintain your GPA and volunteer requirements for the 2 years as well as MCAT. Students do the MCAT and med school interview in second semester of sophomore year. AMCAS is done throughout the year beginning since the end of freshman year. Just keep your test scores and GPA as high as possible.
I’ve only heard of students not making it if their MCAT score is not good enough

@cookiestar

You’re gonna help so many prospective high schoolers and incoming students. I know I keep on saying this, but thank you.

@L34s21

Yeah no problem! Feel free to PM or post more questions. I am interested to meet next year’s class :stuck_out_tongue:

@cookiestar

Sorry, just one more question.

When signing up for classes, should we take chem, bio, and physics all freshman year or divide that up between the 2 years?

Thanks so much for all this information @cookiestar. I have a question if you don’t mind: I heard that I don’t get to choose my classes freshman year. Instead the Undergraduate Office/ BS/MD office will sign up for my classes for me? Is this true?

Also, who should I send my AP scores and dual-enrollment credits to? The BS/MD office or the Dean of COAS?

@L34s21, hey nice to meet you, a fellow incoming BS/MD freshman. Where are you from?

@L34s21
You take bio and Chem in first year. Physics is for second year.

@wisely1300 yeah you don’t get to pick classes typically as an incoming freshman. They will pick them for you. But as a bio major they will typically at least have you in biology and chemistry. Work with the BS/MD office when you first get here to be sure you’re in the right classes.
I sent my scores to the office of the registrar!

@L34s21 congratulations!!
@cookiestar that was very informative… in addition, please could you tell me what course work and ECs would be necessary to stand out in my freshman year to make it into the BS/MD prog. Thanks.

@hubsmd It is important that you enroll in both biology and chemistry I. You should also take 18+ credits, so that if you are accepted in the spring, you will not be playing catch up. I think the biggest thing is maintaining a high GPA first semester and showing your face at the preprofessional office (don’t be annoying, but try and attend the events that they host and join the Health Professions Society).

@thelittlechica… thank you very much. Much appreciated. This sounds achievable and very promising.