Internal Transfer: University Studies to Architecture

<p>I am an international student who graduated from high school in 2008 and decided to take a year off before starting college.</p>

<p>I too intend to major in Architecture but have been admitted to the University Studies program. </p>

<ul>
<li>It says that one can apply for a transfer into architecture in Spring if one has maintained a 2.5 GPA or above in University Studies.</li>
<li>Of those students that apply, only a few are interviewed.</li>
<li>Of those interviewed, only a few are accepted into the Summer Qualifying Design Lab.</li>
<li>After completion of the Summer Qualifying Design Lab, the faculty reviews your grades and over-all performance.</li>
<li>Students with GPA below 2.0 will return to University Studies</li>
<li>Students with 2.0-3.5 GPA will begin as first-year architecture students in fall.</li>
<li>Students with 3.5 GPA and above MAY be placed as second-year students in fall.</li>
</ul>

<p>Every paragraph has the following squashed in: There are very limited number of students selected each year due to overall limited resources of faculty, space and support facilities.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how many students finally attend the Summer Qualifying Design Lab?
How many of those students are FINALLY accepted as SECOND YEAR ARCHITECTURE students?</p>

<p>I also read somewhere that only the very best students are accepted as transfers regardless of the "above 3.5 GPA" criteria. Which basically means that if they plan to take only 5 students then even if there are 10 students with GPAs above 3.7, they will pick only the top 5. Is this true?</p>

<p>Also, is it very hard to maintain a 3.5 GPA as a University Studies student?</p>

<p>CONFUSED O_o</p>

<p>I too am having problems with this. When it says that you will be admitted as a first year architect student if you do not have above a 3.5, does that mean i must stay in school for five years?</p>

<p>Good questions abc I'd like to know also I applied for Industrial Design and was accepted to University Studies.</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>Soccer when they say you will be admitted as a first year student it will be as if you have just entered the major even though your in your sophomore year at VT however if you get over a 3.5 in your sophomore year you will be a 2nd year student so it would almost as if didn't miss a whole year of the major. And also to answer your last question yes if you get below a 3.5 in their summer design course you will have to spend an extra year before you receive your major.</p>

<p>I think you both might want to make a phone call or email someone in the arch school to fully answer your questions. </p>

<p>From what I can tell, you have to apply spring semester of freshman year (provided you have a 2.5+ in your first semester classes). If they accept your application you MUST take two summer design studios that summer (but, keep in mind, you are not yet in the program). </p>

<p>At the end of the 2 summer sessions, they review your work to see if you are accepted into the program for the fall. This isn't a given. Even after 2 summer school sessions there is the chance that you don't get accepted into CAUS. (I would guess either due to them feeling it isn't in your best interests or isn't in their best interest due to space and staffing). I would definitely call and ask about past numbers and percentages.</p>

<p>But let's say, best case scenario, you are accepted into the program for the fall. You would either placed as a 1st year student or a 2nd year student in the arch program. That determination is probably as much based on your design expertise as anything. (Read: student's design potential is as impt or more than his/her GPA).</p>

<p>I do know that grading for first year studio is tough; not a lot of "A's", (so son said) so if they use the GPA from the summer school design studios only, I would bet dollars to donuts that most are placed as 1st years, requiring you 6 to graduate. You have to remember that you will be trying to learn in two summer school sessions what the other kids have learned in two semesters worth of work. (2- 6 hour credit classes, but WAY more hours in the design labs!) </p>

<p>I hope this post has helped. I actually knew a son of a friend that transferred into VT's arch program (from another school), but it did take him 6 years to graduate from there. I wish you both the best of luck!</p>