Is IB a requirement for US university

Hi, I applied to US university and got offers. When I applied, my transcripts were shown in ib grades and I also gave my predict.

The ib policy of the school I want to go is like this:

"Students in IB programs may receive up to eight semester credits for each higher-level (HL) subject passed with a grade of five or higher.

We encourage IB students to earn the full IB diploma.

-Those who earn the full IB diploma with 30 or more diploma points may receive eight semester credits for each higher level (HL) subject with grades of five or higher

-IB students may receive up to two semester credits for some standard level subjects with grades of five or higher."

So does this mean that even if unfortunately I fail to get diploma (hope this won’t happen!:frowning: ), my offer won’t be rescinded since the school just encourage us to earn diploma?

Btw, I know us university take seriously on students’ senior grade and high school graduation certificate, but my school doesn’t grant final grades+ certification based on our final ib results

Pretty curious about this question because I heard US universities don’t really care if you really get the diploma. They care more about ur gpa and sat and Ib is for credits. Plus my offer didn’t mention any requirement regarding IB–not a word. So I really want to know the answer!

Thanks for the reply!!!

The excerpt you’ve made does not say anything on taking an action if an accepted student fails to get the full diploma. It is about advanced credits an incoming student will get.

Just don’t stop studying only because your offer does not mention any requirement regarding IB. They are probably assuming you’re continuing to study as you did before. You’re not done yet till the last day of your exams:-)

IB is favorable. IB is not offered at many schools in the US…only a few schools in each state (some more, some less).

It is good to finish the diploma but you don’t have to. IB is stil good. I doubt the university would rescind the offer if you don’t get the diploma.

You are coming at it backwards: what you posted doesn’t have anything to do with your admission, it has to do with your graduation and your choices while you are at the university. The semester credits are applied to graduation requirements, probably distribution (also known as General Education, etc) credits, and most likely pre-requisite requirements.

Some of the likely benefits: graduating early, taking fewer (or no) classes to meet distribution requirements in subjects that you are not interested in, and being able to choose from more courses without having to take the general introductory level classes.

I would interpret “students are encouraged” as meaning, ‘your IB work has value- don’t throw it away by not finishing’.

Go look at the graduation requirements for your university. Look at how many of them your IB credits will meet.