is nursing for me?

<p>i am a junior in high school and seriously considering my future. i would love to a nurse because i truly would love to be able to help people, and honestly, the salary is very attractive. my only concern is if i would be able to handle nursing curriculum. in high school, i got B+'s biology and really struggled in chemistry with B-'s. am i suited for nursing even though i didnt do well with sciences in high school?</p>

<p>You will need to take science classes (anatomy, chemistry, microbiology) as part of a nursing program. To me, your HS science grades should not deter you from considering a career in nursing. It’s not as is you failed!</p>

<p>Have you volunteered at a hospital or shadowed a nurse? Do you know what nurses do (besides the vague “I want to help people”)? Nursing / nursing school is not easy, and if you are in it just for the money you might not make it.</p>

<p>But, if you have done some research and know you want to be a nurse, then don’t give up just because of some B’s in high school. Look for BSN programs that fit your statistics – the fact of the matter is that admission to nursing programs is very competitive. If you only apply to highly rated / highly desirable programs, you will be competing against students that got all A’s in HS science classes.</p>

<p>How are your grades overall? What about ACT / SAT scores?</p>

<p>thanks for the advice. here are my stats: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/san-diego-state-university/1110803-what-my-chances-so-far-currently-junior-high-school.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/san-diego-state-university/1110803-what-my-chances-so-far-currently-junior-high-school.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>There are a few nursing programs that either do not require chemistry, or which have special chem classes for nursing students that might be easier to get through. D was in the same boat, with very good grades and SAT scores but struggling with chemistry. She got into many nursing programs, and ultimately selected a program last year that did not have a heavy chemistry requirement. </p>

<p>Some schools will also let you fill their chemistry requirement by taking the it at a Community College where the class might be easier. Other ways of getting through the chemistry requirement are to audit or take a community college chemistry class to strengthen you in that area before you take a required class at your college, or to take full advantage of tutoring resources available at college. You can get through it!!</p>

<p>Check out the 0-4 nursing thread, and then go on-line to look at the course of study for each school. If they require chemistry, pay attention to when the class is required. You want to avoid stacking heavy science requirements such as microbiology + chemistry in the same semester, if you think you’re going to be working extra hard to get through chemistry. You also want to see whether you can get a C, or if the program requires a B or higher for chemistry if it’s a requirement of the nursing program. </p>

<p>When you have your SATs, you’ll then be able to review your admission chances but keep in mind that the admissions to nursing programs are usually more competitive than the admissions profiles for the university generally. There are many nursing programs for B+ students, and your grades are very good.</p>

<p>Other things that you can do to increase your chances are to make sure that you have hospital or medical volunteering, and that you apply as early as possible. Nursing programs fill up, so you want to make sure that your application is considered early.</p>

<p>At a nursing open house for admitted students at the school that my D chose, they played a game that introduced the students to each other. During the game, students were asked questions about themselves. Two of the questions were to identify the high school classes that the nursing students liked and hated the most. Liked: anatomy. Hated: chemistry.</p>

<p>I think equally big questions to consider are: How do you feel about being with sick people? in hospitals? in emergencies?</p>

<p>thanks a lot Neonzeus! appreciate the info. and i know i am going to have to deal with being with sick people and seeing people die but i think i can handle it. its going to be very tough but i feel like nursing is a great job and is something i want to do.</p>

<p>Are you comfortable touching people? As a society, we are not all that touchy, but in nursing, you are constantly touching people and sometimes in intimate places. This can be difficult for some nursing students.</p>

<p>ill have to get used to it but i believe i will get comfortable</p>